PDA

View Full Version : Is "The Gathering" worth it?

Mister Bow Willow
08-09-2008, 00:15
I'm an experienced Southern California backpacker but I've never attempted a long hike like the AT before. My experience with the AT is limited to a few day hikes in New England and Pennsylvania years ago.

I've thought about going to the Gathering this fall.

Do you think it is worth the time and expense and if so what do you think will be most valuable about the experience. If not, do you have alternative suggestions for learning more about the AT, its culture and advice on how to hike it.

:) Can't wait until next March . . . :)

Sly
08-09-2008, 00:30
It usually is an awesome event. Weathercarrot is this years coordinator, so I'm sure it will be good. I imagine there's quite an expense in going to the Gathering from southern California, just try to make sure you have enough money to finish the trail.

An alternate plan would be to attend next years Gathering after your hike.

In the meantime Whiteblaze is a great resource to learn about the trail and what it takes.

RedneckRye
08-09-2008, 03:33
I'm an experienced Southern California backpacker but I've never attempted a long hike like the AT before. My experience with the AT is limited to a few day hikes in New England and Pennsylvania years ago.

I've thought about going to the Gathering this fall.

Do you think it is worth the time and expense and if so what do you think will be most valuable about the experience. If not, do you have alternative suggestions for learning more about the AT, its culture and advice on how to hike it.

:) Can't wait until next March . . . :)

The ALDHA Gathering is my favorite weekend of the year. It is 3 days to get me inspired about hiking next year so that I can survive the rest of this year (I work retail). Great info and slide shows and presentations. A time to see dear friends (from real hiker life and internet hiker life) and hear about the hikes that they just finished.

So....Is the Gathering worth the cost of the flight? Thats tough. My gut instinct is that you should skip the Gathering, pocket the cost of the flight and show up at Springer in March or April and start walking north. Those couple of hundred dollars that you spent on another ticket to the east coast will be good to have in your pocket when you get up to New England by the power of your own two legs. And as you walk you'll learn all about the AT's culture and how to hike it.

That being said, I'll see you at Concord on October.

www.aldha.org

fiddlehead
08-09-2008, 04:18
I've learned a lot at past "Gatherings": Workshops on hikes that i ended up doing, how to start a fire with a bow and drill, videos of different trails, etc.
But the real highlight for me is always seeing past hiking friends and enjoying time with them.
As so much in life; it is what you make it. There's tons of opportunity for learning.

Marta
08-09-2008, 06:49
One thing to consider is how many AT corridor dwellers you, as a CA person, already know. If your pool of acquaintances on the east coast is small, at The Gathering you can meet a whole bunch of people who have the potential to help you out during your AT hike. Even if you don't need actual help, it would still be fun to get together with new friends during your hike.

mrc237
08-09-2008, 11:17
IMO going to the Gathering can't hurt but going to the artiles section here on WB is just about everything you need to know about the AT. "Its just wawkin''. Good Luck on your plan!

SawnieRobertson
08-09-2008, 11:52
It is worth the $s and the time. Save money elsewhere and y'all come.--Kinnickinic:welcome

A-Train
08-09-2008, 13:39
As everyone said, they are great. Loads of info, fun, friends, slideshows, etc. I wouldn't spend hundreds of bucks to fly across country though for it. Stay on this site, ask questions, read the articles, you will learn more than you could from a weekend Gathering. The get togethers are all about the people. However, if you don't have trail friends from the past it can be overwhelming as a newbie and although most hikers are great people, it can be pretty cliquish if you aren't an outgoing person comfortable with introducing yourself.

max patch
08-09-2008, 13:44
You certainly don't need to attend to learn how to hike the trail. Beginners whose first time ever backpacking was also the first day of their thru have successfully completed a thru.

However, you may want to attend after your hike to see hikers you met on your thru. If that is worth a cross country trip to attend is something only can answer.

rafe
08-09-2008, 14:24
It's a social gathering, and it can be fun. The seminars can be useful for first-hand info. There are many other ways to learn about long-distance hiking, so it's a bit hard to justify on that basis alone. I've been hiking for decades, and went to my first Gathering last fall. I may go to another one some day, if they hold it somewhere closer to home.

StarLyte
08-09-2008, 16:54
It's not uncommon for potential thru-hikers to want to learn from other long distance hikers by attending hiker events such as the Gathering.

Even the Rucks....for example--the PA Ruck this year, Turtlefast and his wife actually drove from Wisconsin to eastern PA to attend this small intimate hiker event. They learned first hand from other long distance hikers. Nothing from the Internet or a book can replace THAT experience.

There are many people who fly in to the Gathering from California and do it EVERY YEAR. They do it as economical as possible.

Billy Goat (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?do=searchresults&searchid=16691) flies from northern California into Nashville every 2 years to attend the Gathering in WV. From there he rides with another hiker into Pipestem. He also attended the Gettysburg last year but I didn't ask him how he got there.

There are many inexpensive ways to travel, and this can be done by using your Internet resources, such as Whiteblaze, as a tool.

Ask away, and you'll receive my friend!

As for your MAIN question, should you attend the Gathering??

By all means.

It is educational, entertaining, $10.00 for the ENTIRE WEEKEND if you camp at the Folklife Center and this includes a wide variety of classes at the college.

You can arrive early if you like - there are a few of us that arrive on Wednesday at the Folklife Center (http://www.folklifecenter.org/). You just have to square away your camping fee with the Folklife Center. You can also stay over until Monday. Again, your camping is included in the $10 Gathering fee for Friday and Saturday nights - you can speak with the FLC to pay for your additional nites.

You can start a thread on Gathering transportation as well :D

Click here (http://www.aldha.org/newsletr/07prog.pdf) for the Gathering's program from last year at Gettysburg. It just might make your decision.

I forgot to mention that it's also A LOT OF FUN ! Come on down !

You can PM me with your address if you'd like an issue of ALDHA's pre-Gathering newsletter, which will be sent to the printer this week. We have many great things planned!

Personally, I think you will enjoy yourself, and I hope to shake your hand at that check-in desk and hand you a Gathering welcome packet!

StarLyte
08-09-2008, 17:02
It's a social gathering, and it can be fun. The seminars can be useful for first-hand info. There are many other ways to learn about long-distance hiking, so it's a bit hard to justify on that basis alone. I've been hiking for decades, and went to my first Gathering last fall. I may go to another one some day, if they hold it somewhere closer to home.

This is where I met you at terrapin...the campfire on Saturday night, my pleasure :sun

I met A-Train at the 2003 PA Ruck, he was prepping for his AT thru-hike.

I believe I met most of my hiking friends at a Ruck or the Gathering, and of course, on the Trail.

Sly
08-09-2008, 17:02
October 10-12 (http://www.aldha.org/images/aldha2007.jpg)

I need to remember to get in the photo this year!

A-Train
08-09-2008, 17:05
This is where I met you at terrapin...the campfire on Saturday night, my pleasure :sun

I met A-Train at the 2003 PA Ruck, he was prepping for his AT thru-hike.

I believe I met most of my hiking friends at a Ruck or the Gathering, and of course, on the Trail.

Indeed. The Ruck's are more intimate, a better chance to meet people and feel comfortable. A Gathering can be overwhelming for the newbie. You guys made me feel very welcome at Pine Grove and it was a big learning experience. I remember Jack giving a good talk to the class of 03' when I was very green and nervous. Those were the days :)

Trillium
08-09-2008, 17:35
I have authorization for time off to attend the Gathering. Sly's and RedNeckRye's comments are just confirming that it will be very worthwhile. Getting excited!

Sly
08-09-2008, 19:21
I have authorization for time off to attend the Gathering. Sly's and RedNeckRye's comments are just confirming that it will be very worthwhile. Getting excited!

It will be great to see you again. Hopefully you'll be able to make it back to the SoRuck too!

notorius tic
08-09-2008, 19:27
:welcome
It usually is an awesome event. Weathercarrot is this years coordinator, so I'm sure it will be good. I imagine there's quite an expense in going to the Gathering from southern California, just try to make sure you have enough money to finish the trail.

An alternate plan would be to attend next years Gathering after your hike.

In the meantime Whiteblaze is a great resource to learn about the trail and what it takes.

Mister Bow Willow
08-09-2008, 22:07
To summarize what I've heard you all saying -- The Gathering has some interesting presentations but the compelling reason to attend is to meet people.

To respond to a few specific comments . . .

just try to make sure you have enough money to finish the trail.
I'm nearing retirement and while not swimming in money, the cost of a plane ticket won't make or break the thru hike.

if you don't have trail friends from the past it can be overwhelming as a newbie and although most hikers are great people, it can be pretty cliquish if you aren't an outgoing person comfortable with introducing yourself.

It will be a challenge, but I'll do my best to meet people so that when I start my hike I'll know at least a few people from the hiking community.

You certainly don't need to attend to learn how to hike the trail.

Understood. The hiking and camping, per se doesn't worry me. While I'm sure that there are hints and tricks I could learn, I agree with the poster who said, "the articles section here on WB is just about everything you need to know about the AT. 'Its just wawkin'''. But feeling more comfortable with the trail culture and meeting some of its members in person will, I think, be of value.

While the Rucks also sound interesting, it seems like I’ll meet a wider cross section – or at least more people at the Gathering.

Thanks for all of your opinions. I'm pretty sure that I'll be heading to the Gathering and hope to meet some of you there.

Sly
08-09-2008, 22:58
Thanks for all of your opinions. I'm pretty sure that I'll be heading to the Gathering and hope to meet some of you there.

That's great. The FolkLife Center where the camping is also has a small hall and is a good place to meet people.

I'll be in a BIG tent with a mini butler.

StarLyte
08-09-2008, 23:29
Ahhh yes...the mini butler...let's put him to good use this year :-?

Sly come early, on Wednesday. Let's catch up on lost time. You've been out there hiking forever and I need to hear some trail stories :)

Sly
08-10-2008, 00:06
Ahhh yes...the mini butler...let's put him to good use this year :-?

Sly come early, on Wednesday. Let's catch up on lost time. You've been out there hiking forever and I need to hear some trail stories :)

Let me check my schedule..... :-? Yeah, I could probably make it Wed. :banana

Flush2wice
08-10-2008, 00:33
Skip it, It's a waste of $ that you could spend on your hike. If you do the hike, then decide next year if you want to spend the $ to come back and socialize about something you already did. Focus on the hike, not the pre-hike BS. IMHO

Marta
08-10-2008, 06:56
One of the interesting things about The Gathering is that you'll meet in person a lot of the people you have met on line. You might find that the in person encounters will affect how much credence you will give to their on-line advice.

Kirby
08-10-2008, 20:18
One of the interesting things about The Gathering is that you'll meet in person a lot of the people you have met on line. You might find that the in person encounters will affect how much credence you will give to their on-line advice.

So true.

I will most likely be going. I met a lot of people on the trail this year who said they would be at the Gathering. While I'm not 100 percent committed, I have high hopes of attending.

I'll be in my Lunar Solo.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
08-10-2008, 20:21
I have high hopes of attending.

I'll be in my Lunar Solo.

is that like a leisure suit or something?

Kirby
08-10-2008, 20:25
is that like a leisure suit or something?

It's my tent:eek:, although a dilapidated one at this point:rolleyes:.

Kirby