PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Help

harvestmoon
08-09-2008, 09:25
I'm interested in the famous tarptents by Henry Shire everyone is talking about. Where can I shop for one? I cannot seem to find them anywhere but on their website?!? I would like to see one before I splurge!

papa john
08-09-2008, 09:30
AKAIK, they are only available from Henry. Everyone that I have seen is top notch. Everyone I have talked to that has owned one would buy another. He has a 90 return policy where you can order one, set it up and try it out and if it isn't for you then send it back.

Wonder
08-09-2008, 10:27
Ilove my Squall 2......way more room then I need....but at 2lbs....I'll take it!

SurferNerd
08-09-2008, 11:00
I'm in the process of trading my MSR Hubba for a TT Contrail.

Strategic
08-09-2008, 11:12
Sorry Harvestmoon, but if you want a Tarptent, you have to buy it direct fro Henry unless you buy a used one from another hiker (but don't bet on that, people just don't sell them once they get one.)

That's the real baseline too, that you have nothing to worry about in buying from Henry, he and his operation are top-notch folks. He was one of the first in the now-growing ranks of small gear makers who are outdoor folks themselves and take quality and utility seriously. Some find that Tarptents aren't for them, but generally because they give up tenting entirely (I'm one, I switched to hammocking) not because they don't like the product. I still have my Squall 2 and I wouldn't part with it for the world.

If you're looking for a very light-weight tent then you can't do better than a Tarptent. Durable (what a lot of people worry about) and incredibly easy to set up and handle in rain or wind. You'll need to pay attention to orientation when you set up, more so than with double-wall tents, but that's a minor consideration. Take the plunge and you won't be sad that you did.

minnesotasmith
08-09-2008, 11:29
I bought one online in late 2005, getting everything I ordered (spare poles, spare lines, seam sealer, etc.) along with the tent in no time flat. The tent was very lightweight and sturdy, working fine for me on my trip.

Mr. Shires also came online here at WhiteBlaze and answered my questions on the Cloudburst personally and in complete detail. I'll definitely use a tarptent again on my upcoming (2009) thruhike.

You won't go wrong if you use his tents.

rafe
08-09-2008, 11:44
I'll put in another good word for Tarptents and their service. You just have to keep in mind that it's a single-walled tent, and be a bit careful with site selection. Camp in a meadow on a cool night and you will get condensation.

mudhead
08-09-2008, 11:47
Would this also include fog along a river?

hopefulhiker
08-09-2008, 12:18
I used a Squall 2 on my thru in 05. I really liked it.. If you keep an eye out you might be able to pick up a used one...

Cool AT Breeze
08-09-2008, 13:21
I have a Squall 2 seam sealed ready to hike that I will sell for $200.00. It's been used about 3 nights. The only reason I want to get rid of it is I dont use it. My kids are grown and don't like to hike. I have a Contrail now since I solo. PM me if you have any questions or want to make a deal.

Two Speed
08-09-2008, 13:49
Would this also include fog along a river?Probably. I know I'd be concerned about condensation in my SMD Lunar in that kind of environment.

Tagless
08-09-2008, 16:36
I've purchased two Tarptents (Double Rainbow and Rain Shadow 2) from Henry and have nothing but the highest praise - both for the quality of his product and the company's customer service. When you call for any reason, you are likely to talk to Henry himself.

I don't see how you can go wrong purchasing directly from the company as their return and warranty policy reads as follows:

Q: What is the Tarptent return and warranty policy?

A: Tarptents are fully guaranteed against fabric and workmanship failure and you may return one uninjured for a full refund within 90 days of purchase if not satisfied. That means you can set one up, even try it out overnight, and then decide if it's something that will work for you. Tarptents that have been used in the field will be evaluated for resale and partial credit returned to the original purchaser. We stand behind every Tarptent and will make every effort to repair or replace products that fail due to defects in workmanship or materials. Normal wear and tear repairs will be done on a "non profit" basis and we will provide a price quote before beginning the work. In many cases, we charge only for the return shipping.

I seriously doubt that you will want to return this product. Satisfied Tarptent customers are the norm. I'm certainly one of them!

Comments shared elsewhere throughout this thread about condensation and site selection are right on. These are manageable issues in my opinion.

mudhead
08-09-2008, 17:36
Probably. I know I'd be concerned about condensation in my SMD Lunar in that kind of environment.

Thank you for the feedback.

optimator
08-09-2008, 18:12
Backcountry Gear in Eugene Oregon carries Tarptents. Free shipping too.
http://www.backcountrygear.com/manufacturers/Tarptent.cfm

taildragger
08-09-2008, 18:31
I've got a cloudburst and I think you'll be pleased with tarptents.

I will re-iterate an earlier point. Remember that most are single walled tents (I believe that you can get a double walled rainbow). So, if its a humid night, or cool and not under trees (once again, humidity), make sure that you have the tent opened up, if you do, the condensation won't be too bad.

Sailor (The other one)
08-10-2008, 09:21
Remember that most are single walled tents (I believe that you can get a double walled rainbow).

Sort of. We have a Double Rainbow and have the same positive opinions as those above. Henry offers a 4 oz ($30) clip in liner that effectively makes the DR a double wall tent. We've used our DR with the liner for over a year on the AT in October and in several places in Florida with temps down to the 40's and never had a condensation problem. In a 24 hour rain storm we had no misting problems inside the tent either. Somewhere I saw a video of a DR handling 50 mile an hour winds. At just over 2.5 pounds (with the liner and a Tyvek foot print) this is fantastic for two people.

Two things we found important. You must seam seal a Tarptent carefully and thoroughly. We seam sealed every place a thread passed through fabric twice on the inside and three times on the outside and had no leaks.

We had some rain splash through the mesh along the bottom of the tent until we learned to pitch it properly. Read the directions.

Plus, Henry and his wife are a dream to deal with.

EMAN
08-11-2008, 09:05
I carry a lightweight silnylon trap with me for emergencies. If, on one of the mentioned humid nights, I strung that thing over the tent, would that help the possible condensation?