PDA

View Full Version : gear suggestions? bag, rain, water, etc.

Pickleodeon
08-09-2008, 11:07
I'm in the process of buying gear for my nobo thru starting early March. Here are the items I have yet to buy and what I'm thinking about. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, I prefer to buy women's specific and I'm trying not to break the bank. As you'll see, I'm not an ultralight kind of girl, (I just graduated from college, for art, ie I'm poor.)

down bag, not sure what brand, maybe Marmot? or campmor? I sleep cold (I'm tenting) and I'm leaving relatively early March. I was thinking 20 or 15 degree, do I need colder?

I'm leaning towards a Packa for rain coverage www.thepacka.com (http://www.thepacka.com) anyone use this? I've heard only good things. Plus it saves me buying a rainjacket and a pack cover, it's both.

As for water treatment, I know it's heavier but I'm thinking MSR miniworks EX. I've used an MSR filter (different model) and I like them and hear good reviews of this model, I've never used Aqua Mira and I've flipflopped on the Steripen due to mixed reviews. I like that I can clean the filter in the field, don't have to worry about running out (aqua mira) or carrying batteries/filtering floaties or scooping small amounts of water when there is only a trickle (steripen). Call me nuts, but I'd rather just carry the 14.6 oz.

I have a Jetboil with the one-person cup. I'm curious about making things like pancakes, tortillas, etc. And I'm thinking about carrying the pan too.
http://jetboil.com/Products/Accessories/Fry-Pan $50. Is this redundant? How do other jetboiler's make flat things?

Also, I was curious about how solo people carry things like pb and jelly, or olive oil, etc. I was thinking about carry a week or two's worth in a small container, then bouncing the rest and refilling every now and then. I also have small sunscreen, bugspray, Purell, in travel sizes. Would this work?

I think that's all for now. Everything else I think I have figured out, in my head anyway. Thanks for any advice.

SurferNerd
08-09-2008, 11:23
I'm in the process of buying gear for my nobo thru starting early March. Here are the items I have yet to buy and what I'm thinking about. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, I prefer to buy women's specific and I'm trying not to break the bank. As you'll see, I'm not an ultralight kind of girl, (I just graduated from college, for art, ie I'm poor.)

down bag, not sure what brand, maybe Marmot? or campmor? I sleep cold (I'm tenting) and I'm leaving relatively early March. I was thinking 20 or 15 degree, do I need colder?

I'm leaning towards a Packa for rain coverage www.thepacka.com (http://www.thepacka.com) anyone use this? I've heard only good things. Plus it saves me buying a rainjacket and a pack cover, it's both.

As for water treatment, I know it's heavier but I'm thinking MSR miniworks EX. I've used an MSR filter (different model) and I like them and hear good reviews of this model, I've never used Aqua Mira and I've flipflopped on the Steripen due to mixed reviews. I like that I can clean the filter in the field, don't have to worry about running out (aqua mira) or carrying batteries/filtering floaties or scooping small amounts of water when there is only a trickle (steripen). Call me nuts, but I'd rather just carry the 14.6 oz.

I have a Jetboil with the one-person cup. I'm curious about making things like pancakes, tortillas, etc. And I'm thinking about carrying the pan too.
http://jetboil.com/Products/Accessories/Fry-Pan $50. Is this redundant? How do other jetboiler's make flat things?

Also, I was curious about how solo people carry things like pb and jelly, or olive oil, etc. I was thinking about carry a week or two's worth in a small container, then bouncing the rest and refilling every now and then. I also have small sunscreen, bugspray, Purell, in travel sizes. Would this work?

I think that's all for now. Everything else I think I have figured out, in my head anyway. Thanks for any advice.

Hey,
Carry the PB, Jelly, Olive Oil, in small nalgene containers. http://www.rei.com/product/402139

The fry pan is awesome, was demo-ing it over at REI. It takes a while to fry an egg, but its good if your going to get into cooking on the trail.

I personally am taking the Aqua Mira tablets, lightweight and stupid proof. I too considered the SteriPen til I read very mixed reviews. You can try some of my tabs should we hike or meet up on trail.

Packa's are great, but I'd rather be in a rain suit with a pack cover. It's not going to protect you from rain at different directions.

Sleeping bags, well go test them out before like everyone told me. I like the Marmot at REI, but its a lot pricier than a few other ones.

rafe
08-09-2008, 11:53
Mountain Hardwear makes some excellent and reasonably priced down bags -- check out the "Phantom" series. The Phantom 32 is 24 oz. in its stuff sack and can be had for around $220. I own the Phantom 32 and 45. They also have bags in this series rated at 15 and at 0, I believe. They're filled with 800-grade down, pretty much the best you can get.

DapperD
08-09-2008, 11:57
You may want to even consider a 0 degree bag for an early start, and then the necessity to switch to a light cheap summer bag if necessary when the warm weather finally arrives. I know you said funds are a factor, but this may be a requisite for an early cold start. You would want one with a full length zipper so you can vent if necessary. Bag will be a little heavier, but for a cold sleeper may be well worth it. Make sure bag is rated true to temp. Will cost some cash though. I researched bags, and I know the Marmot helium 15 degree gets good reviews, as do most of their brands. Will cost money but the consensus is don't skimp in the bag and pad department when it comes to an early start and possible cold temps. As far as water filters, I bought the Katadyn minifilter, and it is supposedly a good quality one that filters a really lot of water through its cleanable ceramic cartridge. However I have learned ceramic can freeze and break easily in the cold so care must be given to protect it. I don't believe extended chemical purification is wise.

minnesotasmith
08-09-2008, 12:14
1) The AquaMira tablets cost over twice as much per volume of water treated as the liquid does. They may be a bit more convenient, but that cost is 3 digits more over the course of a typical thruhike.

2) Water filters are heavier and prone to clogging/breaking (esp in cold weather). This is IMO especially an issue for a start date earlier than mid-March.

I prefer liquid AM to either.

3) I wouldn't trust olive oil to any plastic container not intended for it. It's just too likely IMO to leach out stuff from the container not good for you.

4) I have a packa, and it's okay, but I'm going next time with a pack cover that ties on. Wind is often a pain on the numerous balds and much of the time north of VT, easily blowing a packa partly aside so it doesn't protect the majority of your pack (or blowing away entirely an unsecured pack cover). There were sustained near-50 mph winds the 25+ min it took me to cross Max Patch; I barely kept my pack cover, and only by walking sideways til I got to a boulder I could safely remove it behind.

5) I like carrying PB in small (half-sized) plastic containers sold carrying PB. (Nothing says you are stuck with the original brand.) Jelly, either carry the standard squeeze bottles any grocery carries(if you go through a LOT of jelly, and don't mind the mundane flavor selection), or get the small ones like you see in fast-food places. Either get the latter at Sam's Club, or from www.minimus.biz (http://www.minimus.biz). Minimus sells ones in orange marmalade, blackberry, boysenberry, you name it, besides the whoop-to-do strawberry/grape/apple you can get anywhere.

6) Yep, down packs smaller and lighter than synthetic. I use a synthetic bag. Water is NOT your friend on the AT, and it bites if your bag gets wet, but more so if it's down...

7) You won't need the bug repellant right off the bat. I'd say somewhere between just north of the Smokies to Damascus, start carrying it (depending on weather that year + date when you get there).

SurferNerd
08-09-2008, 13:19
1) The AquaMira tablets cost over twice as much per volume of water treated as the liquid does. They may be a bit more convenient, but that cost is 3 digits more over the course of a typical thruhike.

I'm buying it in bulk, and paying around 15cents per dose. So if you buy all 6 months at once..it can be dirt cheap.

rafe
08-09-2008, 13:25
6) Yep, down packs smaller and lighter than synthetic. I use a synthetic bag. Water is NOT your friend on the AT, and it bites if your bag gets wet, but more so if it's down...

Keeping a down bag dry is a no-brainer. In 35 years of hiking it's never been an issue.

minnesotasmith
08-09-2008, 14:02
I'm buying it in bulk, and paying around 15cents per dose. So if you buy all 6 months at once..it can be dirt cheap.

You can buy liquid Aqua Mira in bulk, too, for about half or less of the usual price. Just look up the manufacturer online, or find the post I made with the exact pricing.

SurferNerd
08-09-2008, 14:28
You can buy liquid Aqua Mira in bulk, too, for about half or less of the usual price. Just look up the manufacturer online, or find the post I made with the exact pricing.

But does the liquid weigh more than the concentrated tablets?

rafe
08-09-2008, 14:30
But does the liquid weigh more than the concentrated tablets?

I think the main issue with the tablets is the activation time -- ie. how long after applying the chems before the water's safe to drink.

SurferNerd
08-09-2008, 14:46
I think the main issue with the tablets is the activation time -- ie. how long after applying the chems before the water's safe to drink.

How about the life water bottle, its outrageously expensive, but it kills 100% everything, all viruses and bacteria.

rafe
08-09-2008, 14:51
I don't know about the "life water bottle." I have a Katadyn "Exstream" which is a filter inside a 22 oz. squeeze bottle. Seemed like a good idea at one time, but I never used it. Maybe for day hikes or something...

SurferNerd
08-09-2008, 14:56
I honestly never used my tablets but once the entire time I hiked the AT thru NC, it was always fresh and pure and I never got sick. I've been looking into the life water bottle though, its amazing, but at $229 is it really worth it..

DapperD
08-09-2008, 17:51
In planning my future thru-hike I actually bought 2 Katadyn mini-filters and planned to carry both as I wanted just an extra ceramic filter but the price was like only $20 less than a complete one. However I have since decided the weight isn't worth carrying two, so I bought a bunch of Katadyn micropure tablets to have also in case the pump fails or if the water really seems dirty, I thought this would be smart to do.