PDA

View Full Version : Well, it's back to the real world.

Fat Man Walking
08-09-2008, 11:14
Back from my 2008 section hike.

As a suggestion, if you miss the climbs and descents of N. GA and TN/NC, let me suggest that you tackle the section between Bearwallow Gap n of Daleville to Rockfish Gap (I love that name). All you can want and then some.

Highlights of the trip:

Trail Magic from Barbados Kid (aka wildthing) and Big Butt (erfly). Came to Brown Mt. Creek Shelter and didn't have to pump water thanks to them.

Three nights stay at Dutch Haus B&B. Do yourself a favor and stay here. Well worth the luge run into Montebello and the short 1.1 mile climb back to the trail. Along with Bob and Pat (God rest her soul) Peeples and Kincora, Lois, Earl and Bill (Lois' Dad) are folks who personify the spirit of the AT. Lifted my spirits at a time when they needed lifting. Nevermind the gormet food, great hot shower and nice comfy bed.

Climbing the Floyd Mt, Apple Orchard Mt., Little and Big Rocky Row and Bluff Mt., Bald Knob, The Priest, and Three Ridges. All somewhere in the 4,000 ft range.

Last but not least, arriving at the Gateway to the Shennies. Looking forward to them for next year.

Just like always, left wanting more.

Like Ahnald Schwartznager "I'll be back."

:banana

Jason of the Woods
08-09-2008, 11:19
The return is the worst part. Not to mention that you are coming back to a world showing more and more signs of decline by the day..........depressing, really. I say turn around and run back to the trail, Man! I'm about to.:D

SawnieRobertson
08-09-2008, 11:48
Back from my 2008 section hike.

As a suggestion, if you miss the climbs and descents of N. GA and TN/NC, let me suggest that you tackle the section between Bearwallow Gap n of Daleville to Rockfish Gap (I love that name). All you can want and then some.

Highlights of the trip:

Trail Magic from Barbados Kid (aka wildthing) and Big Butt (erfly). Came to Brown Mt. Creek Shelter and didn't have to pump water thanks to them.

Three nights stay at Dutch Haus B&B. Do yourself a favor and stay here. Well worth the luge run into Montebello and the short 1.1 mile climb back to the trail. Along with Bob and Pat (God rest her soul) Peeples and Kincora, Lois, Earl and Bill (Lois' Dad) are folks who personify the spirit of the AT. Lifted my spirits at a time when they needed lifting. Nevermind the gormet food, great hot shower and nice comfy bed.

Climbing the Floyd Mt, Apple Orchard Mt., Little and Big Rocky Row and Bluff Mt., Bald Knob, The Priest, and Three Ridges. All somewhere in the 4,000 ft range.

Last but not least, arriving at the Gateway to the Shennies. Looking forward to them for next year.

Just like always, left wanting more.

Like Ahnald Schwartznager "I'll be back."

:banana

That was a beautiful report. It makes the decision to leave the humdrum compelling, and the review of Dutch Haus B&B makes it very inviting as well. Thanks.--Kinnickinic