PDA

View Full Version : Previous Thru-Hiker Intros

Former Admin
09-03-2002, 19:01
Previous thru-hikers, introduce yourself so the new thru-hikers know who you are.

Hammock Hanger
09-04-2002, 18:15
I started out on my adventure 4/1/01, got to the NH-VT stateline (I bounced a forward a few times) and had to call it a day, due to an injured foot. -- 1000+ miles

I started out 4/6/02 and made it thur all of the bounced areas of last year. Having a ball I got to Franconia Notch where I wound up in an ambulance and a NH hospital with West Nile & Lyme's Disease. My husband flew up and told me it was time to come home. -- 800+ miles

Next year I'll finish up those last 343 miles.

So why introduce myself in the thru-hiker section instead of the section-hiker section: Mainly because I started the hike with a thru in mind and a thru-hikers heart. Nothing has changed other then a few interruptions.

:D Hammock Hanger

walkerat99
09-04-2002, 22:36
I thru-hiked in 99, starting April 1 then did a flip-flop at Skyland Lodge in the Shenandoah NP. It was an adventure of a lifetime and not a day goes by that I don't wish I was out there hiking somewhere, where life is simple and so enjoyable. I had to get back out there in 01 and hike some once again, so I hiked from Springer Mt, to Damascus, VA. just to enjoy and re-live it once again. This year, I finally got one of my sons interested in packpacking and we did a week on the AT from Roan Mt, to Damascus, VA and enjoyed Trail Days.

Met some wonderful people and some of those folks are already a members on this site. Happy Trails to all and looking forward to reading and sharing information.... Sincerely, Ed (Never Alone)AT99

The Hog
09-22-2002, 08:50
I thru-hiked (northbound) in 1984, April 16th to October 10th, averaging 12 miles per day, with the unusual twist that I jettisoned much of my personal gear to make room for a (heavy) 16 mm movie camera. It was truly a life-changing experience, not only because of the film production, but also because I met my future wife at the Upper Goose Pond AMC cabin (she was the caretaker). After the Trail, I struggled for eight years to raise enough money to finish the film, and finally, in 1992, released North To Katahdin on the Appalachian Trail, which some of you have undoubtably seen, and hopefully some of you have enjoyed.
I've also hiked in other countries (Switzerland, New Zealand, Norway, Austria), but my current preoccupation is the Continental Divide Trail (CDT) in Montana. In 1998, I attempted to walk all the way across Montana, but crashed and burned ("Crash and Burn," a mini documentary embedded in Lynne Whelden's "How To Hike The CDT" tape, details this misadventure). To make a long story short, I ended up in the hospital due to dehydration. A few days later, I came down with Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever, the result of a single tick bite on day 18 of my trek. That effectively ended a good trip gone bad.
In 2001, I was back doing another section of the CDT in Montana, the seldom-traveled Anaconda Pintler Wilderness, a beautiful but partially burned over area west of Butte.
My plan is to continue section hiking the CDT over the years, and some year I'd like to fit in a northbound thru hike of the PCT. We'll see if actually happens.

SGT Rock
09-22-2002, 09:02
Wow! I love "North To Katahdin". When ever I need a trail fix because I can't get east I'll watch that North To Katahdin (http://www.thesync.com/ram/appalach56.ram) on www.thesync.com

Thanks for making it.

Hammock Hanger
09-22-2002, 10:19
on the site above where would one locate said movie?? HH

EarlyRiser
09-22-2002, 10:24
There may be an easyer way but i found it going through "film festival" and then "documentary" however unfortunatly my computer does not suport the format so i can not run it myself.

SGT Rock
09-22-2002, 10:38
The link to the film is http://www.thesync.com/ram/appalach56.ram

You will need Real Media Player http://www.real.com/

The Hog
09-23-2002, 05:43
When you carry 15 extra lbs (movie camera, film, light meter, etc)the length of the Trail and someone who knows the trail intimately says they like the results of your effort, well, that's the kind of thing that makes it all worthwhile. There was a time when I never thought I could afford to finish the film and I thought about renaming it, "North To Insolvency." It's a quirky film that doesn't behave like a normal documentary, and it's definitely not a 'How To' film. While it was in postproduction, I often wondered if anybody would 'get it.' When somebody does get it, thats the kind of validation that money can't buy. Thanks for your comments.
As was mentioned, you can see it on ifilm.com for free (if you have the media software) or you can get it thru the ATC, Amazon, or my website, www.wildernessfilmandvideo.com/

Mike Drinkuth
10-01-2002, 12:26
I do video production in Atl. GA and am starting march next year for a six month thru hike attempt and I saw your film last week for the first time.
I have been too busy until now to write but I wanted to, first, thank you for making it. I know how cumbersome the tools of our trade are and I CANNOT imagine carrying any decent camera with me on the trail. Keeping it dry...the weight...the lighting gear....WHUMPH!!!!
Second to let you know how totally NUTS I am going; confined by my office walls with march on my mind and EVERY weekend going out to do overnights to test my gear and get my legs loose....well, during the work week, I have been turning to your movie to keep me sane!
When I have invoices to type or general billing/data entry/equipment checks...anything that keeps me at my desk on the computer, I pull your film up on real player and hit play...then I minimize the screen and plug in headphones while I work. The audio alone is enough to keep me zoned out and working like a nice little boy in this busy, noisy city without getting lulled into a trance by the hum of the computers and other gadegts.
I thank you for keeping me on the trail even when I can't be. I've played it more than 20 times already and surely many more times to come.
Just wanted to let you know that it means a lot to me.
Thank you!
-mike

Singletrack
10-02-2002, 17:51
I did a Flip Flop Thru Hike in the year 2000. West Virginia to Katahdin, and West Virginia to Springer Mt. I left at the end of April from Harpers Ferry and finished at Springer on September 24. Did not come in contact with alot of other hikers, but loved every minute of my adventure. Even though at times it was lonely.

The Hog
10-05-2002, 18:42
Mike, I just wanted to thank you for your generous comments about North To Katahdin (particularly about the audio - believe it or not, I spent the better part of two years meticulously building nine tracks of sound). It really made my day to hear that. I also wanted to wish you well in your preparations for next year.

Jack Tarlin
10-12-2002, 01:37
I just finished my seventh A.T. hike earlier today; it was also my sixth consecutive thru-hike; never really planned to do this; it just turned out that way. This experience puts me in a fairly unique position to comment on the CONTEMPORARY trail, i.e. the Trail as it exists today, and not several years ago. I'm most interested (at least as far as my Internet time) with helping and assisting prospective thru-hikers with their planning and preparation; I'm looking forward to spending time on this new site, which looks to be very promising, and am also available if anyone wishes to write me privately. Best wishes to all of you planning, dreaming about, or even thinking about an A.T. thru-hike; I hope this site proves useful to you.

ez-does-it
10-12-2002, 09:32
:)
Jack Congraulations on finishing and welcome to the forum.It will great to hear from you again.
:p