PDA

View Full Version : Bridge over Housatonic River in CT closed

Lauriep
08-09-2008, 15:30
Elaine LaBella of the Appalachian Mountain Club's Connecticut Chapter Trails Committee asked ATC to post the following information about a bridge closure and temporary re-route:

"By order of the Canaan and Salisbury Boards of Selectmen and the Connecticut Department of Transportation (ConnDOT) the Iron Bridge crossing the Housatonic River between Water Street, Falls Village and Dugway Road, Salisbury is closed to vehicular and foot traffic for repair until further notice. I was notified by the Salisbury First Selectman yesterday that repairs on the bridge would begin on Monday and would probably take one month to complete. I have prepared signs and will get them printed today and will post them this weekend.

There will be signs at the appropriate road and trail crossings and detour signs posted at intervals along the temporary route.

To continue hiking south on the Appalachian Trail follow the orange detour arrow signs by continuing straight on Dugway Road to its end, Turn left (south) onto Route 112. In .9 miles bear right at the triangle and walk briefly on Route 7. Turn right into the woods and resume walking on the AT south.

To continue hiking north on the Appalachian Trail follow the orange detour arrow signs by turning left at the road (Route 7) and hike north briefly to the intersection of Routes 7 and 112. Continue hiking north on Route 112 to Dugway Road (approximately 9/10ths of a mile). Turn right on to Dugway Road and walk the road until the junction of Falls Mountain Road at the Great Falls Bridge where you will intersect with the Appalachian Trail."

Laurie Potteiger
ATC

Awol2003
08-10-2008, 19:17
Here's a map of the area with detour marked:

http://appalachianpages.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=175

gsingjane
09-21-2008, 07:18
Has anyone been up there recently and know if it is still closed? I'm taking a group in early October and would like to know if the detour is still there. It is all road walking, correct?

Jane in CT

Tin Man
09-21-2008, 08:19
Has anyone been up there recently and know if it is still closed? I'm taking a group in early October and would like to know if the detour is still there. It is all road walking, correct?

Jane in CT

Hi Jane, Have you ever taken one of your groups rafting down the Housatonic? I just did last weekend and it was awesome. Cannot believe we never did this before. It looks like we will be doing this annually now.

Awol2003
09-21-2008, 09:31
The bridge is open - I just verified by calling the Toymaker's Cafe in town.

BTW: Toymaker Cafe is in Falls Village about 0.4 east of the Bridge. They serve breakfast and lunch and allow free tenting on their property.

gsingjane
09-21-2008, 17:00
AWOL, thanks so very much. I want to take a group starting around the high school (going NOBO) and that whole area around the bridge is just so pretty and unusual, that I would have planned a different hike if the re-route was still in effect.

Many, many thanks,

Jane in CT

p.s. thanx also for the headsup on the Toymaker's. They are great folks!

geoffreybrown
10-04-2008, 09:52
I can confirm that the "iron bridge" across the Housatonic between the Amesville neighborhood of Salisbury and Falls Village (next to the power plant) is again open. However, it appears that the detour via Route 112 and Dugway Road is still in place, and my sources tell me that it will be for the next 2 years.

The reason is said to be that pedestrian traffic across the bridge over the Housatonic on Route 7 near Housatonic Valley Regional High School is restricted or entirely forbidden while the bridge undergoes major construction -- i.e. replacement.

At any rate, the detour is marked with the white blaze on orange signs and they look like the intent is for them to be there for a long time. While it is road walking, the roads -- particularly Dugway Road -- are pretty quiet.

There are some things to see on the detour, including Lime Rock Park, the auto racing road course and the Lime Rock cemetery, where Sen. William H. Barnum, the longest-serving chair of the National Democratic Committee is buried.

The detour passes next to Trinity Episcopal Church in Lime Rock (www.trinitylimerock.org (http://www.trinitylimerock.org)). There are photos on their website, and also some at www.betweenthelakes.com (http://www.betweenthelakes.com/limerock/lime_rock.htm).

I hope this helps, and I will try to provide more information as I get it.

Pedaling Fool
10-04-2008, 10:04
The bridge is open - I just verified by calling the Toymaker's Cafe in town.

BTW: Toymaker Cafe is in Falls Village about 0.4 east of the Bridge. They serve breakfast and lunch and allow free tenting on their property.

I can confirm that the "iron bridge" across the Housatonic between the Amesville neighborhood of Salisbury and Falls Village (next to the power plant) is again open. However, it appears that the detour via Route 112 and Dugway Road is still in place, and my sources tell me that it will be for the next 2 years.

The reason is said to be that pedestrian traffic across the bridge over the Housatonic on Route 7 near Housatonic Valley Regional High School is restricted or entirely forbidden while the bridge undergoes major construction -- i.e. replacement.

At any rate, the detour is marked with the white blaze on orange signs and they look like the intent is for them to be there for a long time. While it is road walking, the roads -- particularly Dugway Road -- are pretty quiet.

There are some things to see on the detour, including Lime Rock Park, the auto racing road course and the Lime Rock cemetery, where Sen. William H. Barnum, the longest-serving chair of the National Democratic Committee is buried.

The detour passes next to Trinity Episcopal Church in Lime Rock (www.trinitylimerock.org (http://www.trinitylimerock.org)). There are photos on their website, and also some at www.betweenthelakes.com (http://www.betweenthelakes.com/limerock/lime_rock.htm).

I hope this helps, and I will try to provide more information as I get it.
So, if I understand you, you're saying is that the bridge is NOT open (for all practical purposes - concerning hikers).

I'm kind of confused with the terms "restricted" followed by "entirely forbidden".

Montana Mac
10-04-2008, 10:30
[quote=geoffreybrown;706162]I can confirm that the "iron bridge" across the Housatonic between the Amesville neighborhood of Salisbury and Falls Village (next to the power plant) is again open.

quote]

[quote=john gault;706165]So, if I understand you, you're saying is that the bridge is NOT open (for all practical purposes - concerning hikers).
quote]

John

He is talking about two different bridges. The one that is closed now is on Route 7 just north of the intersection of Route 7 & Route 112. It is a few miles from the "iron bridge". Unfortunately there is no alternative way to cross the Housatonic River near the Route 7 location. Based on that is appears that "they" have decided to keep the road walk (detour)in place eliminating the need to cross the river.

Hope this helps

Pedaling Fool
10-04-2008, 10:51
[quote=geoffreybrown;706162]I can confirm that the "iron bridge" across the Housatonic between the Amesville neighborhood of Salisbury and Falls Village (next to the power plant) is again open.

quote]

[quote=john gault;706165]So, if I understand you, you're saying is that the bridge is NOT open (for all practical purposes - concerning hikers).
quote]

John

He is talking about two different bridges. The one that is closed now is on Route 7 just north of the intersection of Route 7 & Route 112. It is a few miles from the "iron bridge". Unfortunately there is no alternative way to cross the Housatonic River near the Route 7 location. Based on that is appears that "they" have decided to keep the road walk (detour)in place eliminating the need to cross the river.

Hope this helps
I understand now, I just broke out my map. The map is a little hard to look at, but basically if one bridge is closed that means, for all practical purposes, both bridges are closed. Very good to know. I would suspect that Lauriep should be putting info out about this soon. Thanks for clearing up.

geoffreybrown
10-04-2008, 19:14
Sorry that I was not clearer in my original post, and thanks for the clarification.

Yes, there are two bridges, and, if you are a through-hiker, if one is closed, both might as well be closed. The iron bridge (the northerly one) is the one that was closed and is now open again. The bridge on route 7 (to the south, near the high school) is the one that is expected to be closed to pedestrians for ~2 years. Hence the detour.

However, if you've got time on your hands, it's a nice little detour now to go across the iron bridge (that would be how to get to the Toymaker Cafe in Falls Village now) and the other places there (Sweet William's bakery is a good source for cookies). Also, if you cross there and loop back you can walk a nice level and very well maintained section of the AT south of the iron bridge that the detour bypasses. It runs right along the river bank.

sasquatch2014
10-05-2008, 11:32
i don't know the river there very well but i know in many other areas of the river with the exception of spring and after heavy rains it is not too deep to ford is that the case up in his area as well?

geoffreybrown
10-05-2008, 15:33
I took some pics this morning that may help people orient themselves with regard to the detour. They're on the Sports and Recreation page of the Trinity Lime Rock website (http://www.trinitylimerock.org/structure/sports.htm#AT). I included a close-up of the information sign about the detour which should answer any remaining questions.

Regarding fording the Housatonic in this area, you'll get pretty wet unless you happen to hit a really dry spell. It's definitely not a "roll up your pants legs" type ford -- probably at least waist-deep in most places right around here and some places deeper.

sasquatch2014
10-05-2008, 17:26
Like I said I was not sure down by kent it gets so wide that it is only a foot or so deep all the ways across. There are other places where the channel is deep though and so I wasn't sure.

sasquatch2014
10-05-2008, 17:29
I just looked at your page with the picture of the sign. with all the damn money that the AMC takes in up in the huts they could rig a foot only bridge and don't tell me that that would take two years to complete.

gsingjane
10-05-2008, 17:47
I am very confused about this, I was with a group up there yesterday (10/4) and we hiked nobo over the Rt. 7 bridge from the hiker parking lot located at Rt. 7 and Rt. 112 (just north of the cornfield below Belter's) and didn't see anything about it being closed. Granted, it wasn't fun, with only one lane open for cars, but there certainly weren't any signs or other indications that the bridge was closed. (And I should know, we hung out at that lot for over an hour waiting for some of the people to show up.) We also saw other hikers headed the same way we were, so I don't think the fact that this bridge is closed, is very well-known. All told, I'm sorta glad I didn't know it, since it was fun to do the river walk with the wheelchair-accessible part and see where the train car fell off the tracks that time.

Jane in CT

Montana Mac
10-05-2008, 18:04
I am very confused about this, I was with a group up there yesterday (10/4) and we hiked nobo over the Rt. 7 bridge from the hiker parking lot located at Rt. 7 and Rt. 112 (just north of the cornfield below Belter's) and didn't see anything about it being closed. Granted, it wasn't fun, with only one lane open for cars, but there certainly weren't any signs or other indications that the bridge was closed. Jane in CT

The picture of the sign posted on the Trinity web page is at the "Iron Bridge" not the Route 7 bridge! You can see the iron bridge in the background and the sign advises southbound hikers of the detour. That would explain why you didn't see the sign:D

gsingjane
10-06-2008, 07:20
If there is a re-route just north of Belter's, it would be nice to know where it's been posted, because it isn't posted in the Rt. 112/7 parking lot, or at the Rt. 7 bridge itself.

Jane in CT

Tin Man
10-06-2008, 08:20
The picture of the sign posted on the Trinity web page is at the "Iron Bridge" not the Route 7 bridge! You can see the iron bridge in the background and the sign advises southbound hikers of the detour. That would explain why you didn't see the sign:D

If there is a re-route just north of Belter's, it would be nice to know where it's been posted, because it isn't posted in the Rt. 112/7 parking lot, or at the Rt. 7 bridge itself.

Jane in CT

Jane, I think Montana and you are talking different bridges. The route 7 bridge is fine, the Iron Bridge past the hydroelectric plant is where the re-route is.

Montana Mac
10-06-2008, 08:45

quote]

[quote=Tin Man;706929]Jane, I think Montana and you are talking different bridges. The route 7 bridge is fine, the Iron Bridge past the hydroelectric plant is where the re-route is.

Tin Man

Now it sounds like the Rt 7 bridge is closed

Tin Man
10-06-2008, 08:57

Tin Man

Now it sounds like the Rt 7 bridge is closed

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I'm going up that way this weekend. I'll check it out.

Pedaling Fool
10-06-2008, 09:10
OK...now I'm confused again:confused:

geoffreybrown
10-08-2008, 15:29
Yes, there are two bridges. Both have (had) problems.

1. The "iron bridge" near the power plant WAS closed and is now reopened.

2. The bridge on Route 7 near the high school is the one that is SAID TO BE closed. (That's the one the signs are pertaining to in post #13).

However, I just got the following e-mail today:

Hi Geoffrey –

Our understanding is that the Trail will not be re-routed onto Dugway Rd at this time. The bridge on Rt. 7, which is the current route, will be passable during construction and will only be closed a few weekends in 2009 to vehicular traffic. It should still remain open to AT traffic and will be posted and appropriately signed as such.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you again for your interest and support of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail.

Adam Brown
Conservation Resources Manager

Appalachian Trail Conservancy
New England Regional Office
Kellogg Conservation Center
PO Box 264
South Egremont, MA 01258
phone: 413-528-8002
fax: 413-528-8003 (please call before faxing)

END QUOTE

So, is the route 7 bridge closed or not? There seem to be differing official positions on this, so my suggestion is that everybody keep the possibility of a detour via route 112 and Dugway Road in mind in case they suddenly find themselves on such a detour.

Otherwise, have a great winter!

sasquatch2014
10-08-2008, 18:26
ATC trumps AMC in my mind.

Tin Man
10-08-2008, 18:35
ATC trumps AMC in my mind.

and in their deeds

sasquatch2014
10-09-2008, 09:03
and in their deeds

Amen Brother!

The Snowman
10-29-2008, 16:50
the CT DOT said the the rt7 bridge is open at this time. I was board :)

beeman
10-29-2008, 17:36
gsingjane,
My advice to you, since I know you take scouting groups out regularly, is to contact the ATC in Harpers Ferry to find out about any last minute problems when you are planning your hikes with the young ladies. I'm guessing they must know about the various problems along the trail.:o

rainmaker
10-30-2008, 23:03
Madame and I walked over the Ct. # 7 bridge last week in order to get to the Mountainside Cafe. We saw a sign coming down from Belter Campsite but had trouble reading it. Maybe it was the long day, the fact that it was dusk, or maybe it was a joint senior moment, but the sign did not make good sense, so we followed the Companion and walked across the bridge. I'm glad we did because if we had been able to decipher the sign and followed them as they have now been explained, we could not have stayed at the Cafe and enjoyed their wonderful food. Madame would not have been pleased.

Old Grouse
04-08-2009, 18:11
I was in the area today so I went to check on the status of the detour. The detour is still in place. The Route 7 bridge is still unavailable to hikers. Going northbound, when you come out at the intersection of Routes 7 and 112, you detour left and follow 112, then go left on Dugway, etc. Those temporary white blaze signs are a thing of beauty. (See GeoffreyBrown's earlier post.) In fact they're so glaringly visible that after months of following faded white blazes on trees, you might be suspicious. Just ConnDOT overdoing it.

Tin Man
04-08-2009, 21:35
I was in the area today so I went to check on the status of the detour. The detour is still in place. The Route 7 bridge is still unavailable to hikers. Going northbound, when you come out at the intersection of Routes 7 and 112, you detour left and follow 112, then go left on Dugway, etc. Those temporary white blaze signs are a thing of beauty. (See GeoffreyBrown's earlier post.) In fact they're so glaringly visible that after months of following faded white blazes on trees, you might be suspicious. Just ConnDOT overdoing it.

No kidding. Just saw those signs last weekend myself. Wonder how much they wasted on temporary signs with a half-life of 40+ years. ridiculous

fredmugs
04-09-2009, 11:27
Right now I am planning a 190 mile section hike that goes through this area. The current plan has me staying at Housatonic Meadows State Park and having a hiking day that goes from West Cornwall Rd to CT 41 / Undermountain Rd.

It would appear that I can drive from the State Pk to Undermountain Rd without having to cross any bridge. Right? I only have to worry about any detours while hiking.

Also - any info relative to the state park is appreciative. Right now we are planning to stay there 3 nights and do car shuttling.

Old Grouse
04-09-2009, 11:44
You're right, Fredmugs. The AT pops out at the intersection of Rte 7 and Rte 112. The bridge under repair is just north of there on Rte 7. Normally you'd hike over that bridge and then parallel to Rte 7, then cross over the Housatonic in Falls Village. Currently, you have to hang a left and road walk west on Rte 112 to just opposite the auxilliary entrance to Limerock Park, then turn right (north) on Dugway Road. Now you're going up the west side of the Housatonic until you intersect the AT again. If you were to drive from Housatonic Meadows to CT 41/Undermountain Road, you'd basically do the same thing, though you'd probably go farther west and then north instead of taking Dugway.

Housatonic Meadows is a "linear" park, sandwiched between Route 7 and the Housatonic. No major amenities other than the usual picnick tables, grill pits, bathrooms with showers, etc. The river's nice along there, with catch-&-release fishing (PCBs), and you'll see groups kayaking and tubing if the weather's warm. Just be careful if you (or small children) are wading, because sometimes there's a discharge from an upstream dam which can raise the water level quickly.

fredmugs
04-09-2009, 12:10
Thanks! We are just looking for a place to stay for 3 nights or so that is convenient to AT parking spots for slack packing. A place to tent with showers is all we need. I'm guessing mid week during the first week of May it will be fairly empty.

sasquatch2014
04-09-2009, 12:14
A bit north up in Salisbury Maria Macabe takes hikers in. I think she is in most book.

Symbol
04-10-2009, 11:00
Another plug here for Toymaker's Cafe... they are great folks and make some great food. You won't leave there hungry!

daveoleary
07-26-2009, 19:43
I was driving through CT this past Thursday, preparing for a 3 day group backpacking trip in November. The Rt 7 bridge near the Rt 112 intersection is open to vehicles (one direction at a time, with signals), but the trail is following the reroute as described by previous posts (with the goofy looking "white blaze on reflective orange sign" along the roads... can I have one of these when the real trail re-opens? :-).
I could imagine walking across the bridge but it would be pretty tight with the cars and you would need to have a cooperating construction crew (there were also some cops there), or just wait until there is no traffic and run across - it was pretty busy on a weekday afternoon. My question is, does anyone know when this is supposed to re-open and the trail is back off the roads? I don't want to do a couple of miles of road walking with a group, and we can take a trip on a section further south if need be. I didn't find anything on the CT-AMC site, the ATC site, or the CT-DOT site. I'll call the ATC office in Massachusetts tomorrow and pass along any updates, but if anyone knows details now, please let me know.
Thanks!

-SEEKER-
07-26-2009, 20:03
I just went through there on Tues and it was closed. The road walk wasn't really bad.

Old Grouse
07-26-2009, 21:08
These things always seem to take much longer than you'd think they would. They did a similar project farther south on Rte 7 (below Bulls Bridge) and that one went well over a year as I recall.

Blackbird
01-20-2011, 18:16
How are those bridges looking now?
Are they both open?
Or is the detour roadwalk still in place?
Any info is appreciated.

DrRichardCranium
06-12-2015, 12:03
Bumping this back up again. It's been 6 years that they've been screwing around with this and the detour is still in place.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
06-12-2015, 12:27
Bumping this back up again. It's been 6 years that they've been screwing around with this and the detour is still in place.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The detour definitely had been removed, I've hiked the section several times since they finished work on the route 7 bridge and was there as recently as April.

That said, they are putting a very similar detour back in place in order to rebuild the Iron Bridge in falls village.
Do you mean that you just hiked the area and the detour is already in place?
There is a discussion about that here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/111740-Iron-Bridge-on-the-Housatonic-River-(Falls-Village)

Lauriep
06-17-2015, 20:06
ATC received this update from the Appalachian Mountain Club - Connecticut Chapter Trails Chair Dave Boone:

The bridge is officially closed to pedestrian traffic effective 6/17/15. Hikers should follow the signs along the road walk between the iron bridge on Dugway Road, along Route 112, and the junction of Rts 112 & 7.

If we get more detail I will post it.

Laurie P.
ATC