PDA

View Full Version : New... Pinhoti Trail Elevation Profiles

Mr. Parkay
08-09-2008, 20:10
Hey Guys,

I just figured out how to create elevation profiles a couple of days ago... and the results are pretty good:

I have created two files in pdf format. One for the Alabama Section, and one for the Georgia Section, which can be downloaded here:

Alabama Pinhoti profile: http://www.scribd.com/doc/4649494/Alabama-Pinhoti-Trail-Elevation-Profile

Georgia Pinhoti profile:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/4649451/Georgia-Pinhoti-Trail-Elevation-Profile

Notes:
1. These profiles are not designed to be printed out... since they are way too big. When I have time, I'll create a set which can be printed out and carried on the trail.

2. The profiles are not perfect by any means... I just created them today, and I'll probably improve them quite a bit over the next couple of weeks. I'll need to add more labels, plus I could improve the layout, colors etc.

3. It would probably be best to download the pdf files onto your computer when you view them... since they might be hard to view on the web site.

4. The mileage for the Alabama section includes the road walk from Flag mountain.

5. The mile markers on the Alabama section profile are roughly equivalent to the mileage on the Pinhoti Trail Alliance Web Site.... however it does not line up perfectly since my profiles are based on gps data, while the mileage on that web site is based on a measuring wheel. I took this into account and tried to correct for the error. It's not perfect, but pretty good.

6. The mileage on the Georgia Pinhoti profile correlates with my GPT maps (http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnsonc80/GeorgiaPinhotiMaps)... but does not correlate with the mileage on the Alabama Trail Alliance Web Site. However, I might try to correct for the difference at some point.

That's about it.... by the way, I'll have a BMT profile completed in an hour or two.

--Mr. Parkay

Sly
08-09-2008, 20:23
Mr Parkay, I have to say, you're good at what you do. I downloaded the BMT maps earlier today but haven't tried to print one yet. Will they fit on 8.5" x 11" OK?

Mr. Parkay
08-09-2008, 20:44
Mr Parkay, I have to say, you're good at what you do. I downloaded the BMT maps earlier today but haven't tried to print one yet. Will they fit on 8.5" x 11" OK?

Hey Sly... hopefully the maps will print out okay on 8.5 x 11. However, my printer has been out of ink for months, and I've been too cheap to buy new cartridges... so I haven't actually printed out any myself. Let me know if there are problems... if so I'll try to correct it when I create a new version of the maps... which might be a couple of weeks from now.. or less maybe.

The new maps will be in higher resolution... plus I'll add more labels etc.

ed bell
08-09-2008, 20:49
Mr. Parkay,
I wanted to thank you for your contributions here. As Sly said, you are good at this and it's great that you are willing to share it.

ed

Sly
08-09-2008, 21:06
Hey Sly... hopefully the maps will print out okay on 8.5 x 11. However, my printer has been out of ink for months, and I've been too cheap to buy new cartridges... so I haven't actually printed out any myself. Let me know if there are problems... if so I'll try to correct it when I create a new version of the maps... which might be a couple of weeks from now.. or less maybe.

The new maps will be in higher resolution... plus I'll add more labels etc.

I printed the 1st APT map and it came out fine, or would have, if I weren't nearly out of ink myself! I'll hold off on the BMT maps until you update them.

Great job. No excuse not to hike now! ;)

Mr. Parkay
08-09-2008, 21:49
Mr. Parkay,
I wanted to thank you for your contributions here. As Sly said, you are good at this and it's great that you are willing to share it.

ed

Thanks for the nice words! I have benefitted enormously from all of the work that people have done in building and maintaining these trails... so creating these maps and things is my small contribution to the Trails. Glad some of it has been useful!

EMAN
08-09-2008, 22:31
I've looked through the stuff you've completed here in the last couple of days and like the rest of these folks, I am pretty much awestruck. I have enough trouble completeing my e-mails.
I have printed out the Mt Sterling section out of curiosity and it printed just fine on 8.5 x 11.
Thanks man.

Mountain Dog
08-17-2008, 14:07
The following site has trail profiles for most of the Alabama Pinhoti sections. I have not tried printing them though.

http://www.alabamatrail.org/hikingAL/

Mr. Parkay
08-27-2008, 14:46
Hey Guys,

Here's a set of printable profiles for the Alabama Pinhoti: 3 pages (http://www.scribd.com/doc/5175745/APT-Printable-Profiles)

Of course, I'll be creating printable profiles for the Georgia Pinhoti as well.

MOWGLI
08-27-2008, 14:58
Can I commission you to make some profile maps for the Florida Trail? I'd be happy to pay for the ruler if you don't have one. ;)

PS: Not bustin' on the Florida Trail. It's an awesome place to hike.

Mr. Parkay
08-27-2008, 15:16
Can I commission you to make some profile maps for the Florida Trail? I'd be happy to pay for the ruler if you don't have one. ;)

PS: Not bustin' on the Florida Trail. It's an awesome place to hike.

Yeah, I guessing an elevation profile of the Florida Trail would be pretty flat. Although I'd be interested to see what it would look like. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any gps tracks for the florida trail. If there is a gps track for the florida trail, it would be cool to see it on google earth.

Anyhow, the next big profile project will probably be for the PCT... since I'm trying to create profiles for all the trails I've hiked.... Plus I'll make one for the bartram trail.

Mr. Parkay
08-28-2008, 20:38
Hello,

You're all probably getting tired of these elevation profiles... but here's another one anyway. It's 3 pages of printable profiles for the Georgia Pinhoti.... here (http://www.scribd.com/doc/5264733/GPT-Printable-Profiles)

soulrebel
08-28-2008, 21:02
Thx parkay i give you a squeeze for the cob!

Thinking of MTBiking the pin Hottie! Anyone done it with their hiking gear and bike? experiences?

Mr. Parkay
08-28-2008, 21:20
Awesome, that sounds like a cool trip. You'll have to post how it goes!... I've never done any Mtn. Bike trips though.... not yet anyway.

Mountain Dog
08-30-2008, 19:10
Give me a tip as to how to print the profiles. I tried twice, once threoug "file" and once through the printer icon, and only got the garbage on the right hand of the page to print. I did not get the profiles to print. I tried highloighting the profiles but I was unable to do that. I can find my way around in the woods but not a computer.

minnesotasmith
08-30-2008, 19:13
Thank you again for using your skills to assist other would-be hikers of these trails. :clap

Cuffs
09-01-2008, 16:53

Thinking of MTBiking the pin Hottie! Anyone done it with their hiking gear and bike? experiences?

You can only MTB on the GA Pinhoti (pin hoe tee)

Frosty
09-01-2008, 21:28

PS: Not bustin' on the Florida Trail. It's an awesome place to hike.I hiked a bit on the FLT near Ocala and loved it, but I have to say the only elevation change was when I crossed the drainage ditch alongside Highway 19.

But I took a side trip to some big sinkholes. Man, those were awesome.

minnesotasmith
09-02-2008, 14:49
You can only MTB on the GA Pinhoti (pin hoe ti)

Around or through the horse piles, that is. ;)

Isn't multi-use grand?

CherrypieScout
03-08-2009, 10:54
This happened near the PInhoti. A cascade of poor decisions.

<B><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 13.5pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'">Man dies of hypothermia, another saved

SGT Rock
03-08-2009, 11:10
I think you messed something up there.

Manwich
03-08-2009, 11:24
I think he meant to post this:

Man dies of hypothermia, another saved

By Graham Milldrum
Staff Writer

03-03-2009

http://www.annistonstar.com/news/2009/images/100_219-web1a.jpg Water covers a bridge on a road in the Talladega National Forest as workers on the other side investigate an accident scene. Photo: Special to The Star
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article has been edited since its initial publication.

One man died of hypothermia Sunday and another narrowly avoided death after they drove onto a flooded road in Talladega National Forest, officials said.

Todd Skinner, 28, of White Plains, died. Bryan Coppock was taken to Regional Medical Center, where he was treated and released.

The two men were driving Saturday night along Forest Service Road 531 during a night of heavy rain, officials said.

They drove Coppock's Jeep into water some time between midnight and 2 a.m. Sunday and the car stalled, said Cleburne County Coroner Rudy Rooks.

Rooks estimated that the water was up to six feet deep and from 150 to 200 feet across.

The two abandoned the car and swam to the nearest bank, Rooks said.
They took off their clothing in an attempt to avoid hypothermia.

This was a mistake, said Dr. Neil Christen, the president of the Alabama Chapter of the American College of Emergency Physicians, and an ER doctor at Regional Medical Center.

Even wet clothes would have protected them better than their bare skin, he said.

The two stayed on the bank for some time before swimming to the opposite side, Rooks said.

Coppock then walked off looking for help, heading towards the Pine Glen camping area, about three miles from the accident site.

Jason Dorries, 30, of Weaver, was in his truck at the Pine Glen camping area preparing for his Sunday morning Bible lesson to Boy Scout Troop 11 from Weaver.

He looked to his mirror, through rain and sleet, and saw Coppock, who had bypassed another campsite on the way to Dorries' truck.
Dorries, with years of first aid experience, gave Coppock dry clothing, some water and put him in the warm truck.

"Positive he was within 30 to 35 minutes of death himself," Dorries said.
Dorries awoke the other scoutmaster, Glenn Maddox, and the two prepared to search for Skinner.

They awoke the senior scout to watch the camp, and two men arranged for the adults from a family at the site to watch the troop.
The men then drove off, looking for Skinner.

It wasn't until they crested a hill that Maddox was able to use his cell phone to call for help.

Help was already on the way, Rooks said. A group of hunters had spotted the Jeep at about 6:30 a.m. and called 911.

"(The Jeep) was sitting crossways to the road where the water had picked it up. You know, when you get your vehicle submerged in the water it's at the water's mercy," Dorries said.

They found Skinner’s body, Dorries said.

Emergency staff arrived shortly thereafter. Coppock was taken to Regional Medical Center, where he was treated and released.
Dorries saw God helping protect Coppock that night.
"There are so many reasons we shouldn't have been out there," Dorries said.

They normally don't camp in the same site more than once a year, and they had considered not camping that night because of the weather.
Coppock stumbled past another active campsite and managed to reach a group of Boy Scouts with a car already warm and ready to search, Dorries said.

Normally Dorries wouldn't even be up, let alone running his engine, he said.
As of press time Monday night, Skinner's family and Coppock could not be contacted for this story.
Funeral services for Skinner will be Thursday at 1 p.m. at K.L. Brown Memorial Chapel in Anniston.

flemdawg1
03-09-2009, 17:59

http://pinhotitrailalliance.org/trailusers.html
Bikers
Non-motorized mountain bikes are allowed on all Georgia sections except from the
316.1 ~ Bear Creek Loop to the 317.6 ~ Mountaintown Creek Trail.
Also, bikers must use northern route around Keown Falls and Pilcher’s Pond, mile
241.6 to 257.3.
The Alabama sections are not open to bikers.

Mr. Parkay
03-12-2009, 19:26
Hey everyone,

I've just re-done the printable elevation profiles for the Alabama and Georgia Pinhoti... the data is the same, but I've improved the layout... plus the resolution has been increased.

I've also re-done the printable profiles for:
1. The Appalachian Trail (now only 29 pages, instead of 42)
2. The Benton Mackaye Trail... they just look a little bit nicer

In the past week I've also created printable profiles for:
1. The Pacific Crest Trail: (they could use more labels)
2. The Contenental Divide Trail: (These should work for the "Jonathan Ley" Route)... as I describe on my website
3. The Duncan Ridge Trail: Just 1 page.
4. Plus... The Long Trail!

Additionally, I've made profiles for the Bartram Trail and the Hayduke Trail... but I haven't gotten around to adding labels yet.

Everything is available on my website: Here (http://parkaymaps.110mb.com/)