PDA

View Full Version : tent drying?

T-Bone1
08-09-2008, 20:13
This question may be elementary but her it is; If your tent accumulates condensation while you sleep do you need to let it dry out before you pack it up before starting your day or do you let it dry out for a bit while your eating b-fast or something?

thestin
08-09-2008, 20:23
I always try to let it dry in the sun while making breakfast, but am resigned to the fact that it will be a bit damp when I pack it up.

If it's real wet, I'll try to dry it out later in the morning or at lunch.

Slosteppin
08-09-2008, 20:42
My practice is to pack the sleeping bag (or quilt), eat breakfast then pack everything else I can inside the tent. Then the tent comes down and gets packed, wet or not. If weather permits I will get it dry when I stop for lunch. I've often packed a tent wet from overnight rain. Packed carefully the inside stays dry. Usually I've been able to get the tent completely dry before I sleep in it again, but not always.

The few times my Double Rainbow has been wet from condensation I've been able to wipe it down and let it dry before I had to pack up.

Slosteppin

Marta
08-09-2008, 20:49
On a day when you get a lot over condensation overnight, the morning is probably going to be so humid that you won't be able to dry the tent anyway. I pack it up, sometimes just wadding it up and stowing in the big mesh pocket of the pack, and hopefully will be able to dry it later.

Looking at Speedgoat Karl's photos and videos gives you an idea of how the weather can be sometimes. You're not going to be able to keep everything lovely and dry. So you go to Plan B, and just be wet, or use shelters, or go to town and use artificial heat to dry everything out.

lastminute1257
08-21-2008, 17:32
It all depends on the weather, when you want to leave camp, and how much weight your willing to hold. If it was a humid night and your tent is soaked, and you are waking up around 5 or 6 and need to get a jump on the sun coming up, leave and then let it dry when you stop for a lunch or snack break midday. If you are section hiking though, why not sleep in and let the sun come up and dry it out, its not like you really have to get anywhere. And if you pack it up wet, your talking only an extra pound or so at most.

leeki pole
08-21-2008, 17:38
At least in the South, the most humid time of the day from April through September is the morning. Your tent will be wet. Dewpoints will be in the 80 to 100% range of ambient temperature. Your best bet will be to pack it up wet and try to dry it around lunchtime when dewpoints, if it's not raining, are lowest. That is, if you want an early start.

Pedaling Fool
08-21-2008, 17:42
It'd be nice, but it's not necessary to dry the tent before packing, I rarely have time to completely dry my tent before packing. However, if you're not going to be using it for a couple days then you really should lay it out and dry. But a wet packed tent will be fine for a day.

budforester
08-22-2008, 08:06
I love mornings and don't waste them on tent- drying. Morning light and dewdrops are great for views and photos, night- blooming flowers are still open, and critters are very active. I remove the fly, shake the dew off, and spread it; invert the tent to expose the wet bottom. I pack up and try to dry the tent later, during a break or lunch, after the humidity has lowered and the breeze has increased.

Homer&Marje
08-22-2008, 08:53
agreed budforester, Morning is too important to the rest of the day. Pack that tent up and when you stop, I usually do it early enough in the day that I can break out the tent, hang it between two trees or equivalent, or make a clothes line and just let it air dry for a little while before setup. While it's drying you can make dinner, pump water, wash up or... er... well use the privy:D Mornings are for hot cocoa, stretching and walking... notably the best part of the day

hoyawolf
08-22-2008, 08:55
this begs the point however that on shorter trips the most important thing you can do afterwards is to clean your gear thoroughly to prevent mildew/mold and ensure it is dried and washed before storing it back away loosely in a pillowcase or something.

budforester
08-22-2008, 09:54
this begs the point however that on shorter trips the most important thing you can do afterwards is to clean your gear thoroughly to prevent mildew/mold and ensure it is dried and washed before storing it back away loosely in a pillowcase or something.

Absolutely; gear gets plenty of abuse in the field. Dry storage is super important! it protects your gear, and it's ready to go again next time.

Sorry... I'm drifting on a Straight- Forward question.

Blissful
08-22-2008, 09:56
I use my MSR towel to dry it as best I can. Then lunch break to set it out in the sun.

Delirious Nomad
08-22-2008, 17:35
Yup - I also use the MSR camp towel to dry off the tent as much as I can. I have single and double-wall, so if using the double-wall then I will take the fly off and hang it somewhere for more drying.
I also use a 3mil ground sheet under the tent - so I will usually try to get it out and hung for drying.
I like to do this soon after getting up to get the most drying time, but once I pack it - it stays in until I get to the next campspot... After reading a few others' responses I should keep the lunch option in the back of my head in the future, especially if packing happens in the rain!

Homer&Marje
08-22-2008, 17:45
If not at lunch, do it first thing when you get to your next site. Even a half an hour in a light breeze does wonders for it. Take your sleeping bag out and do the same because it builds up water from sweat, condensation and the such. That's why I love nylon rope, clothes line in 30 seconds then you can sit down to eat, and sleep dry.

Do not repeat above steps if raining.:D