PDA

View Full Version : Hihi!

natashadanielle
08-10-2008, 00:11
This is my first time ever on a forum like this! So lovely to be here. (I'm so excited to be here!) As of late (one or two weeks ago), I have become interested in many outdoorsy subjects such as hiking, camping, cross-country bicycling, backpacking, outdoor survival skills, etc. I've done a bit of research online, and I haven't found too many other women online (let alone in real time) too interested in these subjects...am I overlooking any other good sites (blogs, forums or what-have-you)? Too, I am most interested in doing these things solo...at least for right now. I think lots of folks are beginning to think that I am crazy for being a woman and wanting to do these things solo, while others think it is an awesome ambition. My mother is worried about me because I am young and a woman, and she is not interested in any of these subjects herself...so I don't think she really gets where I am coming from right now. (Maybe I need to try and explain better.) I am at a point in my life where I am making some huge decisions and changes. Too, I am healing from some childhood issues (only minor healing is left for me to do) and am wanting (re: craving) the time alone in nature. I feel like nature is my healer in a way. I feel more clarity in nature, it is easier for me to work through things there. I suppose one would call it wilderness therapy? I suppose I am just seeking out some encouragement here...for going solo. Anything you wish to say in this regard, I am all ears. Do any of y'all go solo? Could you share your stories with me, perhaps? Thank you so much, and have a beautiful day! Many blessings!

Be In Joy,
Natasha (Tash)

:D

Postcript: I am wanting to go on a solo camping trip for one month. I am very interested in the subject of ultralight backpacking. I have a hammock, but am looking into those bivy sack tent thingies, but I don't know what they are called. Do y'all have any links to retail sites for those bivy sack tent thingies...and do you know their name? Currently, though, I have a hammock and intend to try that out! I have heard great things about hammocks, but am considering the bivy thingy for winter camping...another subject I am interested in. Too, I am wondering if anyone has any advice for long-term solo camping in general? Thank you.

natashadanielle
08-10-2008, 00:15
Too, I just wanted to say, in regards to the p.s. I left about solo camping for one month...food won't be an issue, food weight and such. Town is only about three miles away. I plan to come into town a lot by bike. I'm even planning to go to work while camping. So I can come into town as often as I'd like, really, no prob.

Marta
08-10-2008, 06:52
Hi, Natasha! Yes, a lot of people will tell you that you're crazy to do anything by yourself. There's a huge cultural prejudice against it. Most people phrase in terms of safety. However...the rest of us think that you're less safe in town, which is where the bad people tend to congregate.

That said, if you're starting from ground zero, you've got a fair amount to learn about taking care of yourself in the woods. I'd recommend starting small and building your skills little by little.

Check out some of the Whiteblaze Articles for information about gear, lightweight gear, and acquiring gear on the cheap. A couple of good books on backpacking are Colin Fletcher's "Complete Walker" (the last edition of which contains some interesting comparisons of going light and going heavy) and anything you can find by Ray Jardine. Don Ladigin (sp?) has a good, short book on going light. Backpackinglight.com has some cheap, short pamphlets on going light.

Reading is good, and you can learn part of what you need to know that way, but I'm a big believer that there's no substitute for your own personal experience. If you have never backpacked before, I'd recommend going to an outfitter, such as REI, and RENTING gear for a weekend trip. Go someplace relatively low-risk, like a state park tent campground, and set up for a few days of base camping and dayhiking. Try out your gear. See how it feels to carry it around. Look at what other backpackers are using. Bring a notebook and pen and start making notes about what you want to try.

Good luck and have fun!

Bearpaw88
08-10-2008, 08:57
It is great that you are interested in the outdoors and doing things solo. There is nothing wrong with being a solo outdoors woman. Nature is also very good therapy. When you learn to do things for yourself and by yourself you'll build confidence and self esteem.

Marta's post was great she offered a ton of good advice. Renting gear would be a great start to find out what you like. It will also save you money in the long run. Just spending time day hiking and using a base camp is a great way to practice your outdoor skills.

A bivy sack is just called a bivy sack. To each there own but from what I have seen of other hikers that used them they do not work well in rain and cold. There are many tents available that are lightweight one person tents that will offer you better protection from weather and bugs.

I wish you good luck on everything you set out to do. :sun

Bearpaw