PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite online outfitter?

3oz
03-04-2004, 17:42
Well the title says it all.

jec6613
03-04-2004, 17:59
Campmor - wide selection, good pricing on whatever I want, and I can usually find most anything I'd be interested in ... except packs for some reason ... oh well.

Patco
03-04-2004, 18:54
Not my favorite but I did outfit myself mostly off of Ebay. Bid on MSR stove, tent, water filter, compression sacks ... that's it. Got the rest locally.

Peaks
03-04-2004, 18:57
For service after the sale, I'll support my local outfitter when ever possible. (Plus, he's willing to talk price when I can show him lower prices elsewhere).

JackW
03-04-2004, 19:04
In the NYC area there are several to choose from. Downtown there is TentnTrails, Midtown there is Paragon and Uptown there is Eastern Mountain Sports. Taking just a lttle more effort is Campmor in New Jersey and on Long Island there is Galyans. All are accessible on the Internet (online) but there is nothing like seeing the stuff up close and comparing items side by side.

azchipka
03-04-2004, 19:54
EBay & REI (if your going to be spending alot then get a membership the money back is worth it).

brian
03-04-2004, 19:56
I love walking into the campmor retail store and saying "wow...some dream of this moment....this must be my 30th time in this store" :D

tribes
03-04-2004, 20:07
I would say either moosejaw or campmor. Campmor is only 15 minutes from where I live so normally I will just go in lieu of ordering online. Moosejaw has wonderful customer service and will almost special oder you anything that is available to them from their vendors.

A-Train
03-04-2004, 22:04
I was buying gear at Campmor last february for my thru-hike and a very little woman in the clothing department told me "oh yeah lots of thru-hikers quit in the mahoosuc notch". Thought that was a funny one. But really most people who work there generally know a thing or two, about a thing or two

Chappy
03-05-2004, 01:23
Campmor, eBay, Sierra Trading Post. Can't order online from Campmor though, which makes it a little more difficult from Korea, but I sure do like their selection.

foodbag
03-05-2004, 07:29
www.backcountrygear.com. they have a section called "the lightweight zone" which has a ton of good stuff in it.

Kozmic Zian
03-05-2004, 08:08
Yea.....Online. Sierra Trading Post. Good Discounts. Have bought numerous things from them. Service and shipping good. But, I still prefer to support local and 'On The Trail' Outfitters the most. MRO in Damascus, Eagle Outfitters in Franklin, Blue Ridge Outfitters, those guys. Not so much the Biggies like (REI, Galyans), they seem so impersonal. The lil' guys get more involved, give better help and hints. KZ@

snowshoe
03-05-2004, 08:16
There are many great online outfitters like REI, EMS, Campmore and Sierra Trading post. But I still have to say my faverite is my local outfitters. Nothings beats the service and they are always willing to do anything for you. Plus I like to be able to feel the products I am getting.

nlaing
03-05-2004, 08:44
www.moosejaw.com (http://www.moosejaw.com/) was great, albiet their selection could have had more brands (evernew, aquamira, etc.). Their customer service was great and their emails were funny. This is the email they sent to me after they learned they were out of stock on the therm-a-rest LE 3/4:

Thanks so much for the order.

We have some not such good news and also some good news to tell you about
your order. This is a long email but it is worth reading..........

The not such good news is that the Le 3/4 you ordered is not available -so
sorry about it.

We already checked with Cascade Designs and they are also sold out so we cannot even place a special order for you.

We know this is a mistake and probably creates a mess for you and we want for you to love Moosejaw so, our goal is to do a better job to try to make you happy.

We are happy to give you 10% off the regular retail price of any available option!

Your best bet is to give us a call at 888.208.2258 so that we can make this happen but if it is easier please feel free to email us what you want and we will do our best to make it happen.

We hope you are having a great day and that you still like us.

Thanks again.

Love you,

Moosejaw

hungryhowie
03-05-2004, 09:30
I go local first. But if I can't find it here, I go online.

For real gear, I always check REI (since it'll add to my dividend), but I usually end up at backcountrygear.com

My favorite outfitters, however, are Thru-hiker.com and OWF...but those are the kind that you've got to use a sewing machine to make it all work ;)

-Howie

rickb
03-05-2004, 10:02
Mount Rogers Outfitters at:

http://www.mtrogersoutfitters.com

Why?

1. They were one of the very few places I could find that sell Trangia stoves
2. They were the only place that I could find which would sell just the burner (I had the stand already), and it was only $12.90
3. Shipping is free in the lower 48
4. They were friendly when I called and physically pulled the product when I was on the phone
5. When you log on you see a tree with a White Blaze
6. If they screw up (I doubt they will) you can yell at them when you pass by Damascus.

and most of all...

7. They put a bag of candy in with my $12.90 order. The way I figure it is if an outfitter provides a bit of "phone magic" every now and then, well, they are OK by me.

Rick Boudrie

EDIT: Moosejaw, if you haven't got that pad yet, I just noticed MRO has the Thermarest 3/4" LE listed as a "weekly special" for $60 (regularly $80).

Shoe Leather Express
03-05-2004, 22:57
Campmor is my main source. EMS is where I go if I can't find what I want at Campmor. Both are fast (2-3 day delivery from the time I order).

mpholcomb
03-05-2004, 23:02
Campmor > REI > Moosejaw

Campmor has a nice selection, and I like getting a good Hot Deal every once in a while. Fast. Accurate.

REI good selection. Fast.

Moosejaw is funny. Good Customer Service. Small Selection

texashiker
03-07-2004, 18:08
Campmor - wide selection, good pricing on whatever I want, and I can usually find most anything I'd be interested in ... except packs for some reason ... oh well.

They do have packs... http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=242&catalogId=40000000226

Moon Monster
03-07-2004, 23:45
I am also for http://www.backcountrygear.com--it has a great selection of lightweight items and was one of the only places online selling Equinox and Western Mountaineering lines a couple years ago.

I also like to shop http://www.mec.ca for bombproof house-brand items at nice exchange rates (though with pricey shipping).

good thread idea