PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag comparision...

Hammock Hanger
03-04-2004, 18:14
In the years that I have been on this site I have been more on the "giving advice" side of things. So today I'll switch sides and ask for some input from you my very helpful and talkative peers.

I was planning on bringing my EMS Thaw 45 degree bag on my Colorado Trail hike this summer. I figured that it would do just fine and should it get cold I could always put on my fleece and should it get really cold I could use my emergency silnylon vapor barrier. (NOTE: I will be using a TENT, ya I know-horrid!-this trip.)

On the TJ site I have been forwarned that it gets very cold up there in the high summits even in July. My partner is using a 20 degree bag. It seems most of the past thru-hikers have used 20 or below degree bags. Some said they were still cold.

So I began looking into 20 degree down bags. The two that I have narrowed it down to are the EMS Mountain Light for Women, 20 degree, 2 pounds @ $199.00 (http://www.ems.com/products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444258 3396&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302848911&fromTemplate=navigation%2Fsubcategory.jsp&bmUID=1078197957736) or the Golite Feather +20 bag, 2 pounds on sale for $199.93 normally $289.00.(http://www.rei.com/online/store/LargeProductDisplayView?productId=47779864&storeId=8001&catalogId=40000008001&langId=-1&color=SAGE&img=/big/chips/707900_1899.jpg&view=large)

As you can see both bags are similar in price, however, the Golite is on sale. Was it overpriced to start with or is it a better deal?

So should I stay with my EMS Thaw, 45 degree @ 1 pound?
Should I stay with the EMS Thaw and add in a fleece bag to total 2 pounds?
should I go with the EMS Mt Light... or the Golite???

Okay guys here is your chance to show me what ya got!:rolleyes: Sue/HH

gravityman
03-04-2004, 18:59
I can rule out option number 1. There are glaciers in these hills! It regularly gets below freezing at night above 12k. You will have some uncomfortable nights with a 45 deg bag. But you can always give it a try and adjust later. But you should have a bag sitting on the sidelines in case you need it.

As for the other options, I can't say anything about either of them. But I will once again plug the best bag that I have ever used Western Mountaineering 20 deg ultralight. At 2 lbs, it is a very conservative 20 degrees. My EMS 20 down bag wasn't even a 30 degree bag, more like 40... So keep that in mind with respect to that bag. (Of course you already own an EMS bag...)

The WM is about the same as the golite bag, except I wonder how good their loft is. The WM is a whole lot more expensive then the sale, but I know which bag I would get ($200 for a bag that MIGHT work, or $300 for a bag that will work?)

Enjoy,

Gravity Man

Peaks
03-04-2004, 19:26
I'll second the suggestion about a 20 degree bag. A 20 degree bag is recommended for Philmont, and I carried one there last summer. It got down below freezing a couple of nights in late July/ early August. While it may have stayed warm in base camp and at lower elevations, in the mountains, it was considerably colder.

Before buying, check the fill power rating on each, and check the loft. Other than that, I've got several sleeping bags now, but haven't sprung for a WM bag yet. If you follow sites such as this, the WM bag gets mentioned very favorably again and again, so it's definately worthy of consideration. In fact, if I were to replace one of my bags today, I would probably do it with a WM bag.

jec6613
03-04-2004, 20:19
You could go w/ the North Face Hightail 900, it comes in at 1 lb 12 (reg 6-0) to 2 lb (long 6-6) including stuff sack and is rated to 15. You'll need to bring a tent w/ it though, the outer shell isn't thick enough on its own to block wind, but it is just about the lightest available in the 20 or lower class.

highway
03-05-2004, 07:23
I was planning on bringing my EMS Thaw 45 degree bag on my Colorado Trail hike this summer. (NOTE: I will be using a TENT, ya I know-horrid!-this trip.)

On the TJ site I have been forwarned that it gets very cold up there in the high summits even in July. My partner is using a 20 degree bag. It seems most of the past thru-hikers have used 20 or below degree bags. Some said they were still cold.Sue/HH

HH: Just curious what part of the CT are you hiking and when? I'm doing another section hike of CDT in July in the San Juans of Southern Colorado and both trails overlap in places.

I don't know either of your bag preferences. My own choice is the Feathered friends Wren-perfect for hammocks with drawstring foot and arm holes so you can even walk around still wearing it. Mine is overstuffed with 800 down to about 30 degrees, I'd guess & weighs 2 pounds. Why are you not taking the hammock?

Hammock Hanger
03-05-2004, 10:10
HH: Just curious what part of the CT are you hiking and when? I'm doing another section hike of CDT in July in the San Juans of Southern Colorado and both trails overlap in places.

I don't know either of your bag preferences. My own choice is the Feathered friends Wren-perfect for hammocks with drawstring foot and arm holes so you can even walk around still wearing it. Mine is overstuffed with 800 down to about 30 degrees, I'd guess & weighs 2 pounds. Why are you not taking the hammock?
We will be leaving Denver on the July 12th... I hope to be up in Colorado around July 3rd if there is still room in the CT Crew, doing trail work and adjusting.

I really didn't want to add another pound to my pack, but have been told it is quite cold up there at night. I am now thinking of the W/M Ultralite but it is a bit pricey... My husband supports all of this and just doesn't understand why someone who has 4 sleeping bags needs another!!!

As for the hammock, al the past CT hikers I have spoken to say that in some spots it is very hard to find trees. It would definately cut down on the flexibility of camping. Since I am hiking with 2 others I don't want to be a PITA (pain in the !@#). So I have purchased a used Nomad and will suffer thru ground sleeping. I know I could use the hammock on the ground but it's not for me. I would only want to do that in an emergency situation.

I'll check out the Wren but am sure that FF is too expensive for me. :-?

Sue/HH

chris
03-05-2004, 11:09
I don't think you want to bring a 45 degree bag with you to sleep in on the CT unless you also bring a down jacket with you. It does get cold, even in July. You'll almost certainly have nights below freezing. Adding a fleece blanket won't do it. One possibility is to buy a down jacket. The WM Flight will run you $200 and combined with the 45 degree bag should be enough (bring heavy thermal tights). This gives you a little more function than buying a new sleeping bag.

I'd scan www.sierratradingpost.com for cheap sleeping bags. There always seem to be a lot of Marmot and Sierrra Designs bags on sale. They made a line of fairly reasonable 20 degree down bags using 600 fill. Cheaper and a little heavier than 800. Something like the Marmot Sawtooth will set you back about $200 from REI. You ought to be able to get something reasonable from Marmot, SD, or the North Farce for less than $150 on clearance from Sierra Trading Post.

Hammock Hanger
03-12-2004, 23:56
As for the other options, I can't say anything about either of them. But I will once again plug the best bag that I have ever used Western Mountaineering 20 deg ultralight. At 2 lbs, it is a very conservative 20 degrees. My EMS 20 down bag wasn't even a 30 degree bag, more like 40... So keep that in mind with respect to that bag. (Of course you already own an EMS bag...)

The WM is about the same as the golite bag, except I wonder how good their loft is. The WM is a whole lot more expensive then the sale, but I know which bag I would get ($200 for a bag that MIGHT work, or $300 for a bag that will work?)Gravity Man[/QUOTE]

GM: Well I decide to bite the bullet and go the extra to get a W/M Ultralite. I compared it to the FF Wren, which I liked cuz you can wear it like a jacket. But it only came in Reg & Large. W/M came in a short. No sense in carrying more bag then I need. It also was a higher quality down (you pay extra at FF) and was ultimately lighter and a little cheaper, if you call $289. cheap. I received it today and it is a beautiful bag. Only 13 ounces heavier then my 45 degree. Of course I haven't yet explained to my husband that I have purchased another bag, I have 4, well now 5. :bse Hammock Hanger

Happy
03-13-2004, 00:19
HH, after two years of wanting the WM Ultralite, I purchased one two weeks ago and used it on my February 29th hike at Springer Mountain. That is the best night's sleep I have EVER HAD on any trip, BAR NONE!

Since it is BY FAR your most important piece of gear...put your money there!!!

Kerosene
03-13-2004, 14:49
I've been waffling between a Moonstone 800 Lucid and the WM Ultralite. This thread has convinced me that I should go with the Ultralite if I can afford it, so I'll call on Monday to place my order.

I've heard consistent comments that WM is conservative in their temperature weightings and right on with their weights. However, I'm still debating whether to get extra down since I tend to do a lot of early spring/late fall hiking. In a bag like the Ultralite (800+ fill, 27 ounces for the regular size, narrow girth mummy), does anyone have a sense for how many degrees each extra ounce of down would add?

Also, note that the WM Lite-series bags use 0.85 oz/sq yd ripstop with a DWR finish. When I spoke to them last week they stressed that you will want to use ReviveX every month or so to restore full repellancy lost due to dirt and oils. Also, you will want to be very tender with a shell this light.

Moose2001
03-13-2004, 17:35
HH...I'd echo Gravityman's feelings on the EMS bag. I had an 20 degree down EMS bag for my 2001 hike and froze my butt off in it. It too was closer to a 40 degree than a 20 degree bag. I can't say all EMS bags have that problem but....burnt once I'd be very gunshy about buying another one.

The other option I might suggest to you is the REI Sub-Kilo. I think there was a thread on it earlier. I know there are both haters and lovers of that bag. My hiking partner used on this past year and she loved it. So much so...I'm going to trade in my 3 lb Marmot 20 degree bag for one. (Hey...if you're interested.....I'll make you another good deal!!!)

Moose

Happy
03-14-2004, 22:49
I just got back from my second hike with WM Ultralite and stayed at Gooch GAP, lower elevation, and it was only 42 degrees, I had to unzip the bag during the night due to the warmth, and I am a VERY cold sleeper!

I do use a jag bags silk mummy liner to keep the bag clean and free of oil buildup and found the liner with the bag partly open, was the perfect combination.

It does have a tight girth but I am a side sleeper and toss ALL night and had no problems as there is as much down on the bottom, and has continous baffles which allows you to adjust the down. I was weary of the narrow girth but just like Chris, I have found that it just heats the bag more effeciently.

Will do a complete review after much more experience but as of now I am VERY HAPPY!

Happy
03-14-2004, 23:33
As a add on too my previous post I wanted to let you know I usually spend 30-45 minutes listening to my radio before sleep, but with the WM Ulitralite I have been asleep with 10 minutes both times..."could have something to do with the amount of Scotch I drinked"...however I ONLY woke up to PEE calls and overslept both mornings to 7AM and 7:30AM...must work!

gravityman
03-15-2004, 11:20
I've heard consistent comments that WM is conservative in their temperature weightings and right on with their weights. However, I'm still debating whether to get extra down since I tend to do a lot of early spring/late fall hiking. In a bag like the Ultralite (800+ fill, 27 ounces for the regular size, narrow girth mummy), does anyone have a sense for how many degrees each extra ounce of down would add?

Also, note that the WM Lite-series bags use 0.85 oz/sq yd ripstop with a DWR finish. When I spoke to them last week they stressed that you will want to use ReviveX every month or so to restore full repellancy lost due to dirt and oils. Also, you will want to be very tender with a shell this light.

No, I don't know how much adding extra down would add to the rating, but my guess is not much if any. Properly stuffed, a bag should loft out as far as the shell will let it, and WM seems to be the only retailer that does this properly. However, you might want to call them and ask their opinion.

As for the durability, I try to be careful, but I'm not. Still in good shape though! The DWR is a good tip. I have noticed mine could use a refresher.

Gravity man