PDA

View Full Version : Prep Questions

dudeijuststarted
08-10-2008, 17:39
I made the decision this weekend with a fellow sectioner to NoBo next March.

I'm wondering:

- What is the most common way for a thru hiker to handle a car loan while they are on the trail? Sell? Automatic Payments? Etc. I gotta get this thing off my back.

- What is the best reference for preparation (besides whiteblaze?) I have done about 40mi of PA and all of MD/Harpers this year, but need to know more about Georgia + and how to pack for the cold/snow.

- Best book for the NoBo'er experience?

Thanks!

Cool AT Breeze
08-10-2008, 19:25
Just hang out here on whiteblaze and ask questions read other questions.when it's time to hike most everything will be covered. Trailjournals,and hikinghq are oyher good web sites to hit also. Good luck.

Dazzy001
08-10-2008, 19:31
You need five books, 1) How to prepare for & hike it. 2) Appalachian trail thru-hike planner. 3) Appalachian Trail food planner. 4) Appalachian trail Data book. 5) Walking the Appalachian Trail. Then sell that car, Work 100 Hour weeks & Save like crazy...

SurferNerd
08-10-2008, 19:34
Sadly the only reason why I didn't NoBo this year was because of my car loan, and since its paid off in November, its a good thing towards me going next year. Get the manuals from the ATC, they're worth every penny.

superman
08-10-2008, 19:37
I made the decision this weekend with a fellow sectioner to NoBo next March.

I'm wondering:

- What is the most common way for a thru hiker to handle a car loan while they are on the trail? Sell? Automatic Payments? Etc. I gotta get this thing off my back.

- What is the best reference for preparation (besides whiteblaze?) I have done about 40mi of PA and all of MD/Harpers this year, but need to know more about Georgia + and how to pack for the cold/snow.

- Best book for the NoBo'er experience?

Thanks!

You can get some good opinions from folks on WB but don't go nuts out fitting. The gear you start the AT with is just the gear you start with. No piece of gear is the end all. I've got enough gear to be an outfitter but there is always something else that I want to try or different conditions to deal with. I suggest you start with your old gear and adjust your gear as needed. Or not...you've got tons of time. All you need to do is show up on springer and follow the white blazes north. The rest will be your adventure...including your gear. HYOH

dudeijuststarted
08-11-2008, 10:14
Thanks for your replies everyone. I think I have worked through most of the gear I'll use and its minimal, just need a new pack (thinking Baltoro?) and bag, maybe a hammock or tarptent. The winter clothing needs to be explored, but I'll do some overnights this winter to get acclamated. This might be a stupid question but...are bivy sacks ever used on the AT during the winter?

Mags
08-11-2008, 10:45
If you can, take longer hike (1 week at least. 2-3 weeks if you can).

It will give you a feel for what it is like to be out there for more than an over night. And it will let you test out your equipment and get a feel for what works and does not work.

There is a difference between a casual overnighter (that is often, but not always, really more of a camping trip as opposed to a hiking trip) and a longer hike.

I think that is the shock for many people who attempt a thru-hike of a longer trail. Doing a longer hike will get you in the right mental frame of mind IMO *BEFORE* you attempt a thru-hike.

Not necessary to a longer trip before a thru-hike, but helpful.

gravityman
08-11-2008, 10:50
If you can, take longer hike (1 week at least. 2-3 weeks if you can).

Not necessary to a longer trip before a thru-hike, but helpful.

This is GREAT advice. Even after having done 1000 miles, my wife and I went on a 2 week hike in 2004 to make sure we REALLY wanted to try it again. It was a GREAT eve opener, as it was much harder than we remembered, but we realized we were REALLY committed to it!

I highly suggest the Long Trail Southbound for as long as you can go. We went to Maine Junction (170 miles?) Hard hiking!

Gravity

Mags
08-11-2008, 11:51
I highly suggest the Long Trail Southbound for as long as you can go. We went to Maine Junction (170 miles?) Hard hiking!

Gravity

I did the Long Trail "end to end" the year before my AT hike. I found it very valuable for mentally preparing for an AT thru-hike.

Not everyone has the time to hike the LT a year before the AT, but man..what a great way to get a taste of a thru-hike! All types of terrain, you have to resupply, and you are out in the weather.

More than my gear, more than figuring out resupply strategies, more than my previous backpacking (weekend experience), I honestly feel that the hike on the LT was the most important part of getting ready for the AT.

Could I hack a hike on the AT? When I was on Jay Peak at 7am in the morning, looking into Canada, I had my answer: YES I CAN!

So, do a long hike (at least one week if you can). You'll be mentally prepared for the AT more so than most. And the AT, while a physical challenge, is much more of a mental challenge.

Mags

ps. the view that cemented my resolve to do the AT. :)

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6346&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=9b7269e0127675108ae6001d1d0952b4

dudeijuststarted
08-11-2008, 12:01
I have come to accept that it is going to be considerably different than the 2-3 nights I've been doing. In order to address this I plan on doing some shorter thru-hikes, such as the Laurel Mountain (August 29-Sept 2) and Loyalsock trails in Pennsylvania. They should take around a week or so, but I need to be careful with burning my PTO time, I'm going to cash some of that out to fund the thru-hike. I also plan on finding a good climbing area around here and doing some ascents/descent training with more pack weight than I will thru-hike with. Does anyone do stuff like that?

Mags
08-11-2008, 12:16
I also plan on finding a good climbing area around here and doing some ascents/descent training with more pack weight than I will thru-hike with. Does anyone do stuff like that?

I am a big wimp and respect the law of gravity...so can't say I've done that. :D

If you want to get in shape for a hike, I've always said this link is a good one:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=184425#post184425

Good stuff.

Good luck on your hike!

fiddlehead
08-11-2008, 13:05
Sell the car. Most likely when you finish the trail, a lot of things in your life will change for the better as you will learn that simple is best.

Car payments are not something you want to be thinking about when you're out there having the time of your life. Sell it!

when you are finished, PM me, i'll tell you how to get a good car cheap. (many of my past hiking partners have bought cars the way i do)

DapperD
08-11-2008, 18:50
I am planning to thru-hike hopefully next year and, since my car is paid for and older, I am going to attempt to sell it and use whatever money I can get for it to help finance my trip. I figure no point in it sitting there for 6 months wasting away. Then when I get back I plan to just get a decent used car and go from there. I guess it's easiest to sell if you don't owe much on it and it is older so you don't get stuck taking a huge loss. As far as books about the AT and hiking it, I know some don't like it but I learned from and enjoyed Jan Curran's " The AT-How to Prepare for and Hike It". Felt there was a lot of good useful info, and it was enjoyable reading. I also liked "The Workbook for Planning Thru-Hikes" which was written (the one I have) by Christopher Whalen. "Whiteblaze Fever" is another good one written by a different author with good information thruout. Also the 6 hour video "How to hike the AT" by Lynne Whelden gave plenty of good info from actual thru-hikers themselves.

Blissful
08-11-2008, 20:30
As for prep info - you are in the right place. White Blaze has great info in articles and those who have been there, done that. I would also take time to read through hiker journals from this year on trailjournals.com

A book I enjoyed -

White Blaze Fever

beerandpizza
08-12-2008, 17:38
The most money you'll spend is coming back to a 6 month further depreciated car. The only way we are doing the things we are is with no debt. With the exception of a house, if you don't have the cash, you can't afford it.

dudeijuststarted
08-12-2008, 17:57
I will have the cash. I have a great job as a virtualization systems admin. I have about 150 dollars in cc debt, a lease to get out of, and this 2007 car. My roommate said he can find someone by then (I will keep pushing the issue.) The cc is a drop in the bucket, but the car will be tricky.

In addition, today my father sends a message shocked that I am going to do this (but encouraged me to just last week) and suggests I focus more on the job.

I need to shake off his comments and remember all the reasons I'm doing this...ugh...parents. I'm 29!

Kirby
08-12-2008, 20:47
Use the articles section of his forum, good information without some of the nonsense that comes with the forums.

Kirby

Panzer1
08-12-2008, 20:59
If I was going on a thru, I would not sell my car. For one thing since only about 10 or 20% of people make it all the way, you might only be on the trail for a short time. You never know, you might be back home in a month or 2. I could be very useful to have a car waiting for you at home.

Panzer

FritztheCat
08-12-2008, 21:26
I've done several six month deployments with the Navy and have to say I've never sold a car to do so. As long as you have someone who will start it up every once in a while and drive it around the block, you shouldn't have a problem. Get on an automatic payment plan and you don't have to worry about paying the car loan (that is of course as long as you still have income coming in or a large amount of cash stashed away to cover the loan payments). The nice thing is that your car is 6 months older (shouldn't depreciate too much) but only has a few miles on it.

If you do leave your car with someone, look into giving a power of attorney to them so they can do any required maintenance and have permission to be driving. I wouldn't do a general or blanket power of attorney though because even the most trusted person gets a wild hair every once in a while and you may come home to find your car has been sold (I've seen that happen several times in my career).

dudeijuststarted
08-12-2008, 22:34
thanks for the different points of view on that. I'd love to find the dough to just cover the vehicle...I just might be able to do that. Bought a Baltoro 70 tonight..couldn't believe how comfortable it felt. BTW...any PATC members lurking in here?

Frosty
08-12-2008, 23:26
If I was going on a thru, I would not sell my car. For one thing since only about 10 or 20% of people make it all the way, you might only be on the trail for a short time. You never know, you might be back home in a month or 2. I could be very useful to have a car waiting for you at home.My thought exactly.

Even if you finish the hike, you will still need a car. Hard to get your moneyt back on a 2007 car. Depreciation is murder. No sense losing money on the sale only to buy another one.

Autonmatic payments should work okay. If possible, don't park it on grass or dirt. Put a sheet of plywood under it if you have to, and have someone start it and run it until it is thoroughly hot at least once a month.

gravityman
08-13-2008, 16:29
The only reason to sell the car is if you were going to 'downsize' (i.e. buy a car you can afford without a loan). But if you were going to buy a similarly priced car on your return, chances are you will end up even or slightly worse off than if you had just kept it.

Realize cars are probably the biggest depreciating item you will ever buy. It's the first place to look if you are looking for ways to save money. The longer you can keep a car, the better off you are, even with the higher price of maintence, assuming you aren't one of those people that needs everything perfect.

Gravity

tucker0104
08-13-2008, 18:24
The hardest part for me to plan is what food to bring and how much. I guess a couple week long hikes will take care of that. What is everyone else bringing for food?

paradoxb3
08-15-2008, 09:37
I am thru hiking in 2010, and i own 2 vehicles which i will NOT be selling. My 2005 truck will stay at home with my mom. She will drive it plenty enough that deterioration is not an issue. I'm already setting aside money to make payments on it while i'm gone. My other vehicle is a 2007 suzuki motorcycle. It will be paid for in about 6 more months, and I already have a friend who agreed to garage it for me. He is someone i completely trust to take good care of it, fire it up from time to time, roll around the block, and bring it back to keep it from deteriorating.

If you've got good friends or family you can trust to take care of stuff like that back home, theres no reason to worry about selling it unless you just need the money for your hike. I still think selling a vehicle to hike is a bad idea. You'll lose one way or another....

gravityman
08-15-2008, 13:14
BTW no need to have someone drive the vehicle. Left our 2 undriven for 6 months. One did have a dead battery. The other I was smart enough to unhook the negative cable. Also filled the tanks and put in some gas stabilizer. That's all.

Gravity

leprechaun
09-11-2008, 22:18
I lived right near the georgia section for two years, in Dahlonega (if you pass through there go in the crimson moon, great little eclectic place). depending on the time of year you might spot an army ranger in training. more importantly do not be alarmed at the sight of large spent bullet cartriges.

Blissful
09-11-2008, 22:25
I lived right near the georgia section for two years, in Dahlonega (if you pass through there go in the crimson moon, great little eclectic place). depending on the time of year you might spot an army ranger in training. more importantly do not be alarmed at the sight of large spent bullet cartriges.

North of Hawk Mtn shelter the rangers were zooming in and out in their the helicopters, making drops. Before that were heard rustling and moving about in the woods near the trail and figured there were some guys watching us. It felt like a war zone. Interesting, actually.

leprechaun
09-11-2008, 23:07
yea, the mountain phase of ranger training is right next to it, pretty good guys but they get in trouble if u give them food......

BearII
09-12-2008, 12:24
... If you do leave your car with someone, look into giving a power of attorney to them so they can do any required maintenance and have permission to be driving. I wouldn't do a general or blanket power of attorney though because even the most trusted person gets a wild hair every once in a while and you may come home to find your car has been sold (I've seen that happen several times in my career).

Fritz - a POA is definitely NOT necessary for the purposes of allowing someone to drive your car and/or get it repaired. You would use a LIMITED POA for things like selling car/house.

OP - if you do want someone to drive it then call your insurance company and add them to your policy. Leave them a notarized letter giving them permission to drive and take care of emergency maintenance items.

A better idea is to simply put it in storage (your garage or under cover) and have someone start it occasionally. Then you can reduce your insurance coverage to cover theft, damage, etc. Talk to your insurance agent about the best approach.

Hne913
10-24-2008, 15:14
Fill me in on the car buying secret.. I need one to last me until we leave next march...!

Hne913
10-24-2008, 15:18
I know I just mentioned I need a car.. but in regards to car payments.. if you have a financial planner (for an IRA or ROTH IRA) They have the ability to set up an account that you put money into and to have specific amounts of it come out for specific things each month. I will be doing this while I hike with my phone bill, and other possible things that might be lingering while i'm hiking.. Hopefully not a car payment.. but hey - I did just mention that my car's dieing.. who knows..

Hne913
10-24-2008, 15:20
I know I just mentioned I need a car.. but in regards to car payments.. if you have a financial planner (for an IRA or ROTH IRA) They have the ability to set up an account that you put money into and to have specific amounts of it come out for specific things each month. I will be doing this while I hike with my phone bill, and other possible things that might be lingering while i'm hiking.. Hopefully not a car payment.. but hey - I did just mention that my car's dieing.. who knows..

the advantage of doing this is that someone is seeing the bill and paying it with your money.. as opposed to automatic payments which is one set payment.. that way if my phone bill is more or less they can guarentee that the right price is being paid every month - and that it's being paid!

lonehiker
10-24-2008, 16:18
Auto payments work fine. They will pull the exact amount needed each month like clockwork. You simply have to ensure that you have enough money in that account. It is very simple throughout your thru-hike to get on-line periodically to check your account balance etc.

Dogwood
10-24-2008, 18:50
Check out the Nov 08 issue of Backpacker for a good article on thru-hiking the AT.