PDA

View Full Version : Wolves in New York

Del Q
08-10-2008, 19:59
Late, I know, in early April of this year, a few miles North of Graymoor, in the rain, two Wolves came out of the woods and trailed me for a while. I think they were way too big to be Coyote's...........comments?

Lone Wolf
08-10-2008, 20:04
pretty unlikely

Del Q
08-10-2008, 20:09
Thats what I have been thinking, BUT..........from research, picture's online, called the NY Game Commission, I think the were wolves, much bigger than Siberian Huskies (used to have one), strange........

Tipi Walter
08-10-2008, 20:15
When I saw this I thought, oh no, not another thread about lawyers, ha ha ha. It's probably coyotes anyway.

WAYSEEKER
08-10-2008, 20:21
I would double check, I think you might have mistaken a coyote for a wolf.

Tipi Walter
08-10-2008, 20:26
I would double check, I think you might have mistaken a coyote for a wolf.

Yeah, I had the weirdest thing happen to me on a recent backpacking trip. I was sitting at about 5000 feet by my tent when my dog barked and a huge coyote ran out from the heath/laurel and crossed thru my camp ten feet from me and my tent. He was huge and at first I thought "Wolf!" but in fact he most certainly was just a big grey-white-brown coyote.

workboot
08-10-2008, 20:30
Most likely coydogs......coyotes interbred with wild dogs...lots of em both here in KY (coyotes and coydogs)

sasquatch2014
08-10-2008, 21:15
While it may seem like this area is pretty well wooded it in fact is pretty developed and in some cases the trail is only a few hundred yards from homes often times hikers are completely unaware of this fact. They would be coyotes or loose dogs possible turned feral.

Del Q
08-11-2008, 07:52
Agreed, so there are coyote's that grow that BIG? I guess the ones I have seen in the Southwest are pretty small and thin, these were two really large and "bulky" anumals. When I called the NY Game Commission they said it was possible and they had heard of some reports of Wolves. Yes, could have been lawyers but they smelled pretty innocent.

woodsy
08-11-2008, 08:08
Possibly a wolf-coyote hybrid.
Interesting article here (http://wolves.wordpress.com/2006/10/10/eastern-coyotes-and-the-red-wolf-guest-opinion/) on the evolution of the Eastern Coyote.
Noticed your sighting was in April, when winter coats are still on making them appear larger than they really are.
I've seen some that appear as big as a large dog but in reality, the largest coyote in Maine on record is only 65 lbs.

oldfivetango
08-11-2008, 08:13
So what do you get when you cross a coyote and a lawyer?
(a vile creature that doesn't know whether to howl at the
(ambulance or chase it!)
Oldfivetango

Yukon
08-11-2008, 08:34
A buddy of mine has some pics of a wolf in northern New York, I'll see if i can get the pic from him to post...

Del Q
08-11-2008, 19:50
Curious. Imagine, wolves and coyotes having sex where we all hike! The nerve of those critters. I am stumped, 50 pounds seems about right, eastern coyote pics online seems too small, the face on the male was large. Thanks Walter P, if you find that pic, let us know.

woodsy
08-11-2008, 20:11
Red Wolf photo and range (http://www.lioncrusher.com/animal.asp?animal=27)

Gray Wolf photo and range (http://www.fws.gov/northeast/graywolf.html)

warraghiyagey
08-11-2008, 20:24
Unlikely a coy-dog could be mistaken for a wolf.

Del Q
08-12-2008, 07:07
Call me crazy, the picture of the Gray Wolf above is almost exactly what I saw. The male was about 40 feet from me, long snout, big face, bulky animal. Not sure what my old Siberian Husky weighed, this animal was as big or bigger. Wish I had taken a picture. The two trailed me for about 1/2 mile then gone. GREAT wildlife sighting.

Animal Cracker
08-12-2008, 07:17
Unlikely they were wolves. Coyotes are often confused for wolves and they grow pretty large in the Northeast.

mudhead
08-12-2008, 08:16
Red Wolf photo and range (http://www.lioncrusher.com/animal.asp?animal=27)

I could easily confuse that with a coyote in the woods.

Long way from home, however.

MOWGLI
08-12-2008, 08:18
Late, I know, in early April of this year, a few miles North of Graymoor, in the rain, two Wolves came out of the woods and trailed me for a while. I think they were way too big to be Coyote's...........comments?

Didn't happen. Sorry. No wolves in Putnam County.

horicon
08-12-2008, 14:26
There is no Wolves in Ulster County, just large coyotes say the wise owl.

Time To Fly 97
08-12-2008, 15:34
There are coyotes in Northern NJ - one crossed by back yard. I was obviously amazed - didn't think there were any here - too civilized. A friend of mine said that there were more and more because insurance companies have been shipping them out here to thin the deer populations (lot of deer accidents I guess).

Happy hiking!

TTF

mudhead
08-12-2008, 17:16
Coyotes like suburbia.

Good pickins.

taildragger
08-12-2008, 17:21
Coyotes like suburbia.

Good pickins.

Same with foxes, those fat purina fed cats probably make a nice lil meal.

As far as shipping them there, I wouldn't believe that. Suburbia breeds the wildlife and vegetation that coyotes eat.

Lastly, if you see a coyote watching your small kids, be leery, coyotes lock onto prey and will typically come back looking for the toddler or infant if its decided to snatch it (rare, but it does happen, probably more than bear attacks)