PDA

View Full Version : What type of kilt do you wear?

cavscout
08-10-2008, 22:33
With almost 25% of male respondents in the Kilt survey saying they wear a kilt, I'd like to know what Whiteblaze Kilters are wearing.

Please chime in with the details on your kilt.

I'm usually wearing my 4 yard Poly Viscus kilt from USA Kilts, an 8 yard acrylic from Stillwater or my 4 yard Woodland MarPat from Pittsburgh Kilts. These are all great light weight and machine washable kilts.

Footslogger
08-12-2008, 11:10
Mountain Hardware ..

'Slogger

cavscout
08-12-2008, 11:23
Is there a modesty snap on the Mountain Hardware? I recently read a review saying it had one but that's the only time I've ever heard it mentioned.

Footslogger
08-12-2008, 21:04
Is there a modesty snap on the Mountain Hardware? I recently read a review saying it had one but that's the only time I've ever heard it mentioned.
==============================

Yes there is but I typically forgot to snap it :eek:

'Slogger

cavscout
08-13-2008, 14:58
Utilikilt is the only other kilt maker I'm aware of that incorporates a modesty snap of some sort. They use a button snap on most of their kilts but on the Survival model they use a wooden toggle/loop configuration.

Mr. Clean
08-15-2008, 09:53
It wraps around fairly well, but you're always subject to a kilt mishap now and then. I remember one time in Mahoosuc Notch I was talking to a few kids when all of a sudden their "leader", a woman of about 40, poked her head out from under the rock I was standing on and said "Oops, guy in a kilt!". Glad I'd planned ahead and put on some undies for the Notch.

Two Speed
08-15-2008, 10:02
Surely it isn't that hard to find a way to add a modesty button or snap to a kilt if you find one you like.

Footslogger
08-15-2008, 10:22
Surely it isn't that hard to find a way to add a modesty button or snap to a kilt if you find one you like.
========================

Yes, it would be ...but don't call me Shirley :D

(sorry ...couldn't pass that one up)

'Slogger

wakapak
08-15-2008, 10:27
mountian hardware kilt here...i am girl wearing the mens one, i couldnt find an actual womens kilt, only womens skirts, and i found the kilt to be made of a lighter material which is nice in the hotter weather, and i like the modesty snap on it (when i remeber to use it!) and i'm not sure if the women's skirts have that.

cavscout
08-15-2008, 10:50
There's only the one version of the Mountain Hardware. Check out sport kilt for some other options. They offer kilted skirts fitted for women. ie. 18" length http://www.sportkilt.com/departments/casual-kilt-women/womens-hiking-kilt~1.cfm?afid=1003

The mens is 22.5"

mudhead
08-15-2008, 10:54
Saw a gal jogging in a "skirt" the other day. Light material similar to a beach cover-up, but not opaque. No pleats. Looked comfy. For her.

Footslogger
08-15-2008, 11:01
Wow ...here's a close-out sale on the Mountain Hardware model. A lot less than I paid back in 2003 !!

'Slogger

http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/mountain-hardwear/mens-clothing-sale/mountain-hardwear-mountain-kilt-mens.html?RefId=29&RefType=Affiliate

Jim Adams
08-15-2008, 16:46
Love my SportKilt. Also have 2 EconoKilts nice for everyday but not as good as the SportKilt for hiking.

geek

Doctari
08-16-2008, 10:18
I wear a Stillwater kilt, one of the thrifty kilts (acrilic). That was what I wore on my 170 mile section hike this year & I loved it. Wore shorts for less than 20 minutes one day, um,, NEVER AGAIN!!! It is heavier than my shorts, but Oz for Oz is 10 X more comfortable so the weight cost is worth it to me. & the SW kilt dried very fast when wet.

I do not remember where, but I once saw a kilt that had a "Modesty flap" that (I guess) fell into place when you sat down. :p I have thought about putting one on my kilts, but instead I just sit correctly & all is well.

Phreak
08-16-2008, 13:40
A kilt looks like it'd be comfortable to hike in, but can't bring myself to try one.

Footslogger
08-16-2008, 16:21
A kilt looks like it'd be comfortable to hike in, but can't bring myself to try one.
=============================

I felt the same way until the raging chafe episode during my 2003 thru. Now I own 2 of them.

'Slogger