PDA

View Full Version : Summer plans

Jimbo0104
03-04-2004, 21:54
I am a Midn at the Naval Academy and I just entered my preferences for my training cruises for this summer. If things work out as I would like them to I would have approximatly nine weeks of leave consecutivly starting in mid June. If I started from Springer approximatly where on the trail would I be come mid august? I understand everyone hikes differently but I'm just looking for rough estimates trying to figure out whether this is a feasable idea.

Jimbo

Lone Wolf
03-04-2004, 21:57
Southern Pennsylvania. Approx. halfway.

jec6613
03-04-2004, 22:13
If you're in the Marine program, probably the entire way if you REALLY REALLY truck like Marines are known to do :datz . Possible but unlikely, and you'd get a trail name like "Lead Foot", lol. If you know yourself, you can figure out how far you can go in a day and multiply it by the number of days in about 8 weeks so you can go back - at 15 miles a day (pretty normal) you could make 840 miles. Trucking at 30 miles per day (15 minuite miles 8 hours a day) you could make 1680 miles, and at 10 hours a day at that speed you'll do the whole thing. However, you'd be dead tired at the end of that - technically possible, but you probably wouldn't enjoy it unless your sole goal was to do it as fast as possible.

TJ aka Teej
03-04-2004, 22:22
I would have approximatly nine weeks of leave consecutivly starting in mid June.
Hi Jimbo,
Have you considered starting at Katahdin?

Jimbo0104
03-05-2004, 00:13
Hi Jimbo,
Have you considered starting at Katahdin?
Actually being raised in the South and having done almost all of my hiking in the southern states I hadn't really thought of starting at Katahdin and going sobo. But now that you mention it that really holds some appeal. I will have to consider that. Right now everything is pending on whether I get the training blocks I want or if it gets broken up into two three week blocks. Honestly, Im just excited at the thought of having even the slightest chance at getting the opportunity to get out and do a long hike.

Still open to more suggestions

Jimbo

snowshoe
03-05-2004, 08:22
With that kind of time you should head up to Vemont and hike the long trail. I have done sections of it and loved it. Average time is around 4-6 weeks plus you still get to hike on the AT in the southern part of VT. You still get that AT feeling, you are very rarley at shelters by yourself and you are always close to civilization for the most part. Here is link that may help
http://www.greenmountainclub.org/

Frosty
03-05-2004, 08:43
With that kind of time you should head up to Vemont and hike the long trail. I have done sections of it and loved it. Average time is around 4-6 weeks plus you still get to hike on the AT in the southern part of VT. You still get that AT feeling, you are very rarley at shelters by yourself and you are always close to civilization for the most part. Here is link that may help
http://www.greenmountainclub.org/

4 - 6 weeks? That's 6 to 10 miles a day. At 13 miles a day, it's three weeks.

Peaks
03-05-2004, 10:09
So many trails and choices. Certainly doing 1/2 of the AT is great. You might consider doing the northern half, starting at Harper's Ferry and going north. Or, hike the AT to the Long Trail, and then take the Long Trail to Canada. Or hike the Colorado Trail, or the John M. Trail in California.

Plenty of choices. All good. What are your goals?

By the way, the long trail is usually done end to end in about 3 weeks.

chris
03-05-2004, 10:58
Pace is a pretty individual thing. One person might enjoy 100 miles a week, while others might prefer 50. You might find 150 miles a week pretty comfortable. Or 200. I don't think anyone likes 300 mile weeks. If you consider yourself a fairly average hiker carrying a fairly average load, the 100 mile a week average is a pretty reasonable number. Note that this includes time off, so your typical hiking day might be in the 15 or 16 mile range. If you do this, you'll cover 900 miles in your summer. Push it a little bit, and you'll get to Harpers Ferry. One benefit of this is easy transit off the trai lto wherever you have to go. If you think you might be a little stronger, then plan for 120 miles a week, or 1080 miles. Slow down a bit and stop at Harpers Ferry. I think Harpers Ferry is a good goal to shoot for. If you have more time, keep going. If you can't quite make it, bail off at Waynesboro. Or in Damascus, if you are so inclined. Or Pearisburg. Take the time you have and enjoy your summer. Put as little structure on your hike before hand. Most importantly, just go.

papa john
03-05-2004, 12:48
Each year there seems to be a few teachers that are off for the summer that start out at Springer and make it up into mid-Virginia. They don't burn up huge miles a day, just a regular thru-hiker pace building up each day. You should be able to get to Waynesboro at least. If you are in good shape you migh even be able to get to Harpers Ferry in your allotted time.

A SOBO would be a good choice as well.

Peaks
03-05-2004, 17:16
Based on what I have seen, very few do more than 120 miles in a week. I suspect the average hiker does around 90 miles per week. Obviously, the terrain has a big impact on this.

Jack Tarlin
03-05-2004, 18:18
Jimbo--

You stated that you're free from mid-June til mid-August; this is aprox. 8-9 weeks; for the sake of argument, let's call it 60 days for your hiking.

If you leave from Springer, at 12 miles a day (most folks' average for a thru-hike) this would put you at 720 miles from Springer, near Daleville, Virginia, not far from Roanoke.

Considering your probable fitness level, I suspect you'll do somewhat better than this. A miles-per-day average of 15 per day would put you some 900 miles from Springer, which would find you in the middle of Shenandoah National Park.

18 miles per day for 60 days would see you 1080 miles down the trail, almost exactly half-way thru. You'd be just north of Caledonia State Park in Pennsylvania, not far from Gettysburg.

20 a day would put you just south of Port Clinton, PA, about 80 miles from the Delaware River.

20 a day is a pretty solid pace for 60 consecutive days, and is a brisker pace than most folks want to tackle, regardless of their conditioning. One alternative: The "un-official" midpoint of the Trail is at Harper's Ferry, WV
which is just over 1000 miles from Springer, a nice milestone. There's also regular Amtrak service there, so returning to Washington/Baltimore/Annapolis would be a snap.

Best wishes on your trip!