PDA

View Full Version : JetBoil Personal Cooking System

Dialeight44
08-11-2008, 00:10
This is my first post on WhiteBlaze, please be kind.

I am contemplating buying the JetBoil Personal Cooking System for my thru-hike in 2009. I have a question about the gas cannisters. Is the cannister for the JetBoil specific for the unit or will the typical Coleman cannister work for this unit? I have not actually held one of these units and the pictures are rather inconclusive. Thanks for any help and advice.

Dialeight44

rafe
08-11-2008, 00:24
It's a standard canister, at least in the 4 oz. (net weight) size. Larger canisters can be used, but won't fit inside the pot.

Dialeight44
08-11-2008, 00:28
Thank you, Terrapin.

Dialeight44

Nearly Normal
08-11-2008, 02:41
Just because I'm curious, why a jet boil?

Summit
08-11-2008, 07:56
Well, here goes 'JetBoil Fanclub vs Discenters' take 302! :eek: :p Dialeight44 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=14491), search JetBoil and you'll get plenty of information on the pros and cons which hopefully, won't have to be rehashed yet again. The short answer - JetBoil is a convenient, complete cooking system that has a large 'fanclub' (of which I am one). It is not the lightest or cheapest way to go by far. Some like the 'package' in spite of these facts.

You should also search and study up on 'alcohol stoves' here on WB to see if that way is for you - it is 'the only way' for many.

But to answer your specific question, you can use any brand canister - the fitting on them are the same. The larger size will obviously last longer than the smaller ones. If doing short hikes of a week or less go with the small one. If longer trips, the large size, although it will not fit down inside the JetBoil cup, lasts longer and for some reason the larger ones work better in cold weather (below freezing). Hope this helps.

Just Plain Jim
08-11-2008, 13:21
Since I do all of my "cooking" in freezer bags, I thought I would try the Jet-boil. It was just what I needed and has been "added" to my arsenal of stoves.

Obiwan
08-11-2008, 13:35
The small 100gram cannisters are reportedly enough for 50 2-cup boils

I have not done any definitive testing, but I wold say that number sounds achievable based on my experience

X-LinkedHiker
08-11-2008, 14:13
I bought a jetboil for my bicycle tour this summer. It worked out incredibly well and seemed to be quite efficient. I am still working on my 2nd canister, though I used the slightly larger snow peak canisters. So no they are not specific but the Jetboil ones are small enough to fit right into the jetboil cup.

Summit
08-11-2008, 18:00
Giga Power ones are $.50 - $1.00 cheaper at my local REI than the other several brands they carry and work great: http://www.rei.com/category/4500548
I don't know why REI doesn't show/offer the 220 gram ones online, but they do carry them in the store.

Dialeight44
08-11-2008, 20:47
I chose JetBoil because of the simplicity and cannister gas. I have no desire to play with alcohol stoves while I am thru-hiking. I could be talked out of the JetBoil for another cannister stove system, but the JetBoil is slightly under a pound and the cost is not that prohibitive to me. If I am missing something, please educate me, but I would like simplicity on a solo thru-hike.

Dialeight44

EarlyBird2007
08-11-2008, 21:05
I used a Jetboil on my thru-hike last year. I loved it and would recommend it. Many other makes of iso/pro canisters will work on it. Two other brands I have used are MSR and Snopeak. I used a larger MSR canister (8 oz.) most of the way, and had a smaller one (3.88 oz.) as back-up. The 8 oz. canister lasted about 4 weeks, using it to cook oatmeal in the morning and dinner at night.

slow
08-11-2008, 21:14
This is my first post on WhiteBlaze, please be kind.

I am contemplating buying the JetBoil Personal Cooking System for my thru-hike in 2009. I have a question about the gas cannisters. Is the cannister for the JetBoil specific for the unit or will the typical Coleman cannister work for this unit? I have not actually held one of these units and the pictures are rather inconclusive. Thanks for any help and advice.

Dialeight44

You can also run Esbit for 4 day 2 boil a day @8 oz walk total.

X-LinkedHiker
08-11-2008, 21:16
Like I said, i had no problems with it other than the electric igniter not working if it gets too wet. But overall this thing is great and yes, VERY light weight for a whole cooking system. I even bought the tealeaf and coffee strainer. Which actuallt works great for brewing naturals teas if you find any.

slow
08-11-2008, 21:20
You can also run Esbit for 4 day 2 boil a day @8 oz walk total.

Sorry with pot...total.

Tinker
08-11-2008, 21:21
I chose JetBoil because of the simplicity and cannister gas. I have no desire to play with alcohol stoves while I am thru-hiking. I could be talked out of the JetBoil for another cannister stove system, but the JetBoil is slightly under a pound and the cost is not that prohibitive to me. If I am missing something, please educate me, but I would like simplicity on a solo thru-hike.

Dialeight44

You don't play with alcohol stoves. You set them up, light them, and do whatever it is you want to do while they boil your water. If you wish to cook gourmet meals (or fry eggs, bacon, etc.) neither the Jet Boil nor an alcohol stove is the best answer. Small cannister stoves are best for that.
Outside of Hanover, NH the weekend before last, I took out my Heineken pot stove and someone said "Look, a homemade JetBoil. I never thought of it as such, since I use Esbit tabs normally, but, since I left my tabs at home, I used the pot and windscreen on top of a fellow hiker's PocketRocket and it was quite efficient (didn't think to time the boil).

Tinker
08-11-2008, 21:24
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2455391440059664855bHjoVJ

A simple and efficient way to boil water.

Summit
08-11-2008, 22:12
You can also run Esbit for 4 day 2 boil a day @8 oz walk total.Could you translate that into English? :p :)

Bob S
08-11-2008, 23:27
Could you translate that into English? :p :)

LOL

I didn’t get it either. I was thinking “I’m stupid” :-? but it seems I’m not the only one…

Bob S
08-11-2008, 23:29
It’s just food; there are lots of ways to apply heat to it, none of them wrong, just different.

rafe
08-11-2008, 23:46

I have not done any definitive testing, but I wold say that number sounds achievable based on my experience

That is more than double the numbers from my experience.

Summit
08-12-2008, 06:49

I have not done any definitive testing, but I wold say that number sounds achievable based on my experienceMine are lasting for a week-long hike for sure, and then they go empty about the second day of my next hike. At two boils a day, that would come in at somewhere around 20 boils total, tops 25.

slow
08-12-2008, 18:17
Could you translate that into English? :p :)

2 oz a day @4 day=8oz.TOTAL.

sheepdog
08-12-2008, 18:29
Mine are lasting for a week-long hike for sure, and then they go empty about the second day of my next hike. At two boils a day, that would come in at somewhere around 20 boils total, tops 25.
The box says it will boil 12 liters of water on a small canister. That is about 50 cups of water. My experience is like yours, about 20 or so boils about 40 cups. Water and air temperature has an effect on boil times. I love the stove and it is the one I use most often.

slow
08-12-2008, 18:47
Never looked before....15oz on REI ,and no can.This setup must be made for the pretty boy's at that WT.

BradMT
08-14-2008, 15:54
I love my Jetboil for typical backpackin... for "real" cooking or cold weather I have a Simmerlite.

Obiwan
08-16-2008, 13:52
I mispoke

Jetboil claims 50 cups...which would be 25 two cup boils

I tend to get better results than that

darkage
08-16-2008, 18:43
Pocket rocket, seperate fry/boil pan with bowl lid ... I like the option of frying up something i picked up in town, or just to boil the water i need for my raman/freezer bags ...