PDA

View Full Version : What I love (and hate) about trailrunners

angewrite
08-11-2008, 08:15
Everyone has their preferences for footwear. Some would never wear anything but boots, while others would never wear anything but trail runners. I'm not sure that I want to lump myself into the second category, but it applies moreso than the former.

So here's what I love about trail runners:

Lightweight
Minimal break in time
Extremely breathable
Doesn't have to be the "perfect" fit

And what I hate:

Only last for about 500 miles
Ankle deep mud (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=26899&catid=member&imageuser=12872)

fiddlehead
08-11-2008, 08:21
Maybe your first hate point (500 miles) is because of the particular shoes you wear.
Try Montrail Vitesse's I always get at least 1,000 miles per pair out of them and sometimes more.
I just bought a pair of their Hard rocks on ebay for $19.99 (slightly used)
The pair i'm using now i bought on ebay 2 years ago for $30.00. I probably put 400-500 miles on them and they're still ok although i burned some holes in the tops clearing and burning some brush last year. (they were used when i bought them also)

So price is another good point IMO.
No blisters (for me) is important too, although i had blisters the first time i tried the Vitesse's. Probably because they were a bit different fit and my feet had to get hardened in the right spots. That's why it's important sometimes to stick with one you have used before , IMO.

angewrite
08-11-2008, 08:51
Maybe your first hate point (500 miles) is because of the particular shoes you wear.
Try Montrail Vitesse's I always get at least 1,000 miles per pair out of them and sometimes more.
I just bought a pair of their Hard rocks on ebay for $19.99 (slightly used)
The pair i'm using now i bought on ebay 2 years ago for $30.00. I probably put 400-500 miles on them and they're still ok although i burned some holes in the tops clearing and burning some brush last year. (they were used when i bought them also)

So price is another good point IMO.
No blisters (for me) is important too, although i had blisters the first time i tried the Vitesse's. Probably because they were a bit different fit and my feet had to get hardened in the right spots. That's why it's important sometimes to stick with one you have used before , IMO.

I really abuse my shoes so I'm happy to get the 500 miles out of them. More, like you said, would be better. I absoultely LOVE Solomons and they are the perfect fit for me. Thanks for the suggestions though.

timhines
08-11-2008, 09:00
also look into some Innov8 shoes. I know a guy who has 3000 miles on a pair....3000 miles of running, not hiking.

I have a pair, but they just don't work for my feet. So to each his own.

/2cents

wilconow
08-11-2008, 09:25
Regarding durability, I would rather have a shoe that feels great and needs replacing every 500 miles rather than a shoe that just feels 'okay' and lasts 1000 miles

Of course it is ideal to have your favorite pair last for a long time, but if not, I will still stick to them rather than having to take a chance on another shoe.

btw my shoe in the Montrail Hardrock

Mags
08-11-2008, 09:57
I used a pair of Hardrocks that lasted from Boulder, CO to Grants, NM.

Of course, the terrain is probably not as difficult as the AT nor as wet overall.

As Wilconow said, I'd rather have a pair of shoes last me 500 miles that feels great than a pair of shoes that is "OK" for 1000+. Otherwise, I' may as well just get a pair old-school Limmers (http://www.limmerboot.com/) and call it good. :) They never wear out..and probably take 2+ yrs to break in, too. ;)

angewrite
08-11-2008, 10:15
Regarding durability, I would rather have a shoe that feels great and needs replacing every 500 miles rather than a shoe that just feels 'okay' and lasts 1000 miles

Of course it is ideal to have your favorite pair last for a long time, but if not, I will still stick to them rather than having to take a chance on another shoe.

btw my shoe in the Montrail Hardrock

I agree and good plan. I live in Northern VT so the trail here isn't exactly the "gentlest" either.

gravityman
08-11-2008, 11:03
I disagree that how long a trail runner lasts is how long it's upper holds out.

My trailrunners (Montrail Hardrocks) looked quite good, but I noticed that at the end of each day my feet were feeling more and more sore. Finally in Waynsburough after walking aroudn town all day my feet were KILLING me, and I switched to a new pair that I had mailed there. WOW what a difference. Now I know what to pay attention to so I know when to switch.

I think this depends HIGHLY on an individual's feet. I do have 'real' custom insoles too.

Gravity

Bearpaw88
08-11-2008, 13:36
I have a phobia of trail runners :-?

While I witlessly attempted to condition for the A.T. I used trail runners on a day hike and severely sprained my ankle. It has never been the same. I am sure there is nothing wrong with trail runners, but I haven't worn them since.

I really liked the boots I hiked from GA-VA with (800+ miles and still in great shape). Plus with how many times I stubbed my toes they saved my toe nails from being black, blue and bloody.

minnesotasmith
08-11-2008, 13:41
Does anyone know of a manufacturer other than New Balance/Dunham that makes 12 4Es?

Gumbi
08-11-2008, 13:42
trail runners for me!

lunchbx
08-11-2008, 13:58
Does anyone know of a manufacturer other than New Balance/Dunham that makes 12 4Es?

I dont know but when you find out please let me know as this is my size

minnesotasmith
08-11-2008, 14:01
I dont know but when you find out please let me know as this is my size

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceMO1201GT.htm

General list: http://www.nbwebexpress.com/search_results.asp?searchType=quick&qry=hiking&x=8&y=4

Blissful
08-11-2008, 20:34
So here's what I love about trail runners:

Lightweight
Minimal break in time
Extremely breathable
Doesn't have to be the "perfect" fit
And what I hate:

Only last for about 500 miles
Ankle deep mud (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=26899&catid=member&imageuser=12872)

They also dry quick compared to boots.
No blister problems.

What I hate?

Not great in the Presidential section of the Whites on the rocky scree. That was about it.

Tinker
08-11-2008, 20:46
My custom Limmers sit unused (they could be resoled and have a couple of eyelets replaced), but I've switched to trail runners (Keen with over the counter orthotic-type insoles from a pair of Chaco Beckwith boots - which, by the way, I only use for yard work anymore). I go through quite a few pair, but they are much more comfortable and dry faster than heavy leather boots, and they let my sweaty feet breathe freely unlike the Limmers, Chacos, and others which I've used. Btw, I find Gore-tex less than useless in footwear unless you're strictly a weekender.

Wags
08-11-2008, 23:54
i like them most because boots remind me of work