PDA

View Full Version : Good Trail Magic location near US2, NH

friday18
08-11-2008, 09:31
Hello, all,

We're planning to work some trail magic Labor Day weekend, somewhere near US2 in NH. My thru-hiking brother, Cookie Monster, should be passing through right around then.

We're looking at driving up and camping on the trail for a weekend, and feeding any thru-hikers that come by.

What I'm looking for is a good camping location that's on or very, very close to the trail, and not too far from US2, or another nearby road we can park on. We'll be driving up with many full coolers, so we don't really want to haul them too far off the road.

Any suggestions for good camping locations? We're looking to be right near the NH/ME border.

Thanks!

Sly
08-11-2008, 09:37
I haven't been up that way in awhile but, get ready for a little grief. It's best to have "trail magic" somewhat off trail. Just put up a temporary sign, they'll come.

friday18
08-11-2008, 09:41
Thanks!

I was thinking that closer to the trail would attract more hikers, who didn't want to waste mileage by walking off-trail (even a little bit).

This is my first time in this forum, I'm not a hiker myself, and I'm very open to any advice and suggestions. I'm just looking to do something nice for thru-hikers and have some fun for a weekend, so I'm hoping people here will cut me a little slack for the things I don't know. Not knowing is why I came here, to the people that do.

Lone Wolf
08-11-2008, 09:43
what sort of magic tricks y'all gonna perform?

Gorp-Gobbler
08-11-2008, 10:18

What makes the difference? Beggars can't be choosey. You should be glad they're performing it.

friday18
08-11-2008, 10:24

We're looking at hamburgers & hot dogs, fresh fruit, yogurt, bacon & eggs, maybe grilled cheese sandwiches, and of course, beer.

Basically, we want to set up a campsite for the weekend, and just spend the time cooking on a fire and feeding hikers. Food being served will depend on the time of day the hikers pass through.

I've gotten a bunch of suggestions from Cookie Monster, but am certainly open to more ideas. I think I'm doing okay on the food-planning side, but it's the exact location that I'm really trying to work out.

Sly
08-11-2008, 11:10
Hikers will walk a mile, or more, for a cheeeseburger!

Seriously, trail magic has been debated many times, even the ATC has guidelines. Like I said, it's best if you can find a spot somewhat off the trail and not directly at the road crossing. Even 10-20 yards will do. Also, if you can, open it to all AT hikers, not just thru-hikers. Lots of contention there too.

I wish I knew the area better to help you more. Have a great time.

Oops, I almost forgot. :welcome Friday!

Thanks!

I was thinking that closer to the trail would attract more hikers, who didn't want to waste mileage by walking off-trail (even a little bit).

This is my first time in this forum, I'm not a hiker myself, and I'm very open to any advice and suggestions. I'm just looking to do something nice for thru-hikers and have some fun for a weekend, so I'm hoping people here will cut me a little slack for the things I don't know. Not knowing is why I came here, to the people that do.

wilconow
08-11-2008, 11:22
Here is the Appalachian Trail's site page on TM

www.appalachiantrail.org/trailmagic

emerald
08-11-2008, 12:06
Would be a good idea to call WMNF to discuss your plans.

friday18
08-11-2008, 12:13
Would be a good idea to call WMNF to discuss your plans.

Forgive my ignorance ... is that the White Mountain National Forest?

Lone Wolf
08-11-2008, 12:19

the AT lies within it

Lone Wolf
08-11-2008, 12:21
Hello, all,

We're planning to work some trail magic Labor Day weekend, somewhere near US2 in NH. My thru-hiking brother, Cookie Monster, should be passing through right around then.

We're looking at driving up and camping on the trail for a weekend, and feeding any thru-hikers that come by.

What I'm looking for is a good camping location that's on or very, very close to the trail, and not too far from US2, or another nearby road we can park on. We'll be driving up with many full coolers, so we don't really want to haul them too far off the road.

Any suggestions for good camping locations? We're looking to be right near the NH/ME border.

Thanks!

if you're gonna do it then you should feed ALL hikers not just thru-hikers

emerald
08-11-2008, 12:31

I don't know what ranger district, but I'm sure someone who knows can help you with that information and can provide a phone number.

I see you have plenty of time before your planned activity. It would be wise to call. There may be some restrictions on what you can do and where. WMNF personnel no doubt could provide helpful suggestions that would result in an more satisfactory experience for everyone involved.

You were wise to seek advice concerning your planned activity. I hope you enjoy yourself.

emerald
08-11-2008, 12:51
Contact Androscoggin Ranger District (http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/contact/) in Gorham. They're open now should you want to call today.

friday18
08-11-2008, 14:04
Contact Androscoggin Ranger District (http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/contact/) in Gorham. They're open now should you want to call today.

Thank you so much! I did call and they were a fabulous resource!

emerald
08-11-2008, 14:15
You're :welcome. Happy to be able to help.

A-Train
08-11-2008, 14:19
If you wanna give magic, give hikers rides to Gorham on Rt 2! That was one of my hardest hitches!

I'd recommend giving food out at Crawford Notch or Pinkham Notch, 2 places hikes don't normally go into town from. Near Rt 2, they're all headed for town anyway.

minnesotasmith
08-11-2008, 14:26
If you wanna give magic, give hikers rides to Gorham on Rt 2! That was one of my hardest hitches!

I'd recommend giving food out at Crawford Notch or Pinkham Notch, 2 places hikes don't normally go into town from. Near Rt 2, they're all headed for town anyway.

After being turned away from the AMC's full place by a snotty clerk, I went to the campground at Crawford Notch. Was treated very pleasantly, not charged excessively, and their store had mid-term (not short, not long) resupply options at a reasonable price for where they were. I (together with Faithwalker) intend to stop there again on the way thru the Whites next year.

pipesmoke
08-11-2008, 14:46
The trail head at Rte 2 is big enough to set up in. Hikers there would be headed for Gorham usually to resupply. The Birches Campground is 2-3 miles west and is hiker friendly. As was mentioned earlier shuttles to town go over big. Anywhere else in the Whites you're in conflict with one agency or another.

pipesmoke
08-11-2008, 14:51
A second thought would be the trail head at Wiley Station. Hikers would be crossing 302 on their way through the Presidentials. I don't think anyone would bother you there. Camping at Dry River Campground nearby.

friday18
08-11-2008, 15:24
Thanks for all this great input! We are definitely planning on offering rides in to Gorham. Givevn that Gorham is 3.8mi from the trail, we fgured most hikers would only head into town if they could get a ride.

I picked the Route 2 area for a couple of reasons. One is the ability to drive up close to where I need to be. The other is that I'm trying to meet up with Cookie Monster who expects to be passing through this area around Labor Day.

The guy at the Androscoggin Ranger Station recommended that we hike in a little bit on the Rattle River section of the trail, get about 1/4mi off trail and off the road, and set up there, leaving a sign on trail offering food and rides. What do you guys think? I want to be able to set up a campfire so I can serve hot food (burgers, eggs, etc).

Lone Wolf
08-11-2008, 15:27
go ahead, clear out a spot and make a big 'ol fire ring

emerald
08-11-2008, 15:36
The guy at the Androscoggin Ranger Station recommended that we hike in a little bit on the Rattle River section of the trail, get about 1/4mi off trail and off the road, and set up there, leaving a sign on trail offering food and rides.

What do you guys think?

My primary concern was that you wouldn't create problems for WMNF personnel or yourself. It appears you have satisfied their concerns with your plans.

friday18
08-11-2008, 15:48
Thanks for all this great input! We are definitely planning on offering rides in to Gorham. Given that Gorham is 3.8mi from the trail, we fgured most hikers would only head into town if they could get a ride.

I picked the Route 2 area for a couple of reasons. One is the ability to drive up close to where I need to be. The other is that I'm trying to meet up with Cookie Monster who expects to be passing through this area around Labor Day.

The guy at the Androscoggin Ranger Station recommended that we hike in a little bit on the Rattle River section of the trail, get about 1/4mi off trail and off the road, and set up there, leaving a sign on trail offering food and rides. What do you guys think? Ideally I'd like a spot where I can set up a campfire and serve hot food all day (eggs, burgers, etc). On a good note, the Ranger Station did say it was perfectly legal to bring in beer.

friday18
08-11-2008, 15:52
Sorry for the duplicate post. I'm new here, and didn't realize the thread had gone to two pages.

jesse
08-11-2008, 16:46
If you follow the LNT guidlines, you should only build fires in existing firerings.

jesse
08-11-2008, 16:52

emerald
08-11-2008, 17:06
If you follow the LNT guidlines, you should only build fires in existing firerings.

I interpret those guidelines to mean where fire-rings already exist. In this instance, which appears to pass regulatory muster given the conversation with WMNF staff, it would be appropriate to build a new fire-ring.

Since this new fire-ring may be where it's not apt to be seen or used regularly, I would think friday18 should be especially careful the fire is completely extinguished when the proposed activity ceases. The ashes and rocks should be dispersed and the campsite restored as near a possible to the way it looked beforehand.

StarLyte
08-11-2008, 17:41
Hey there--ya'll have fun!!

I LOVE feeding hikers...ask anyone!

Just use common sense, clean up-pack it out, obey laws, and try and keep the trail magic back away from the Trail...think "wilderness experience"...you'll figure it out after your first time.

I wish I was there with you.....have an awesome experience!

rafe
08-11-2008, 23:40
There's some sort of public visitor center on the N side of Rte. 2, with a huge parking lot, about a half-mile (maybe a mile) east of the AT trailhead (Rattle River Trail) on Rte. 2. That might work... From that trailhead, the AT is a roadwalk for the next 1/2 mile or so, so I don't see where you'd be affecting the wilderness nature of the trail all that much.

friday18
08-12-2008, 00:34
Here's what I'm thinking now:
1. I want to LNT, so I don't really want to set up a fire in new spot.
2. Coolers, equipment, etc, are going to be a pain to hike in, even for a short distance. I know thru- and section-hikers carry pretty hefty packs (by my reckoning), but we're not big hikers, and I want us to enjoy the weekend as well, and not make my husband feel like a pack mule.

So here's a couple of ideas that I'd love more input on:
1. What if I drive down the road 1.8 to White Birches, camp there, but set up my trail magic on the AT section of US2, with a hibachi-type stove for cooking.
2. Alternatively, we could just do trail magic at the campground itself, and set up signs on the trail with a phone number to call for rides. Do enough hikers carry phones to make this worthwhile? Any info on how cell reception is in this area?

I think I like the hibachi at the trail head idea the best, but I'd really like input from both hikers and previous angels with your opinions. This is the first time I'll have done this. I'm not afraid of some work, but I'd like to enjoy it enough to want to do it again.

Pokey2006
08-12-2008, 03:33
I'd set it up to have the "party" at the campground, and then hand out burgers and hot dogs at the road crossing during the day -- not every hiker will want to hang out, but every hiker will appreciate a bite to eat as they pass through.

Just be really careful with the booze. It could get you in a world of trouble, if you accidentally hand a beer out to a minor, or if someone drinks too much and does something stupid. You might be wise to avoid handing out beer randomly. Instead, maybe encourage a BYOB party back at the campsite later...

Sounds like a fun time. Good luck!

pipesmoke
08-12-2008, 07:39
The sight at Rte 2 has been used before to do feeds without issue. Working from the Birches may conflict with the owners. I second the motion on alcohol, be carefull, it's not worth the hassel.

The Old Fhart
08-12-2008, 08:42
_terrapin_ "There's some sort of public visitor center on the N side of Rte. 2, with a huge parking lot, about a half-mile (maybe a mile) east of the AT trailhead (Rattle River Trail) on Rte. 2. That might work... From that trailhead, the AT is a roadwalk for the next 1/2 mile or so, so I don't see where you'd be affecting the wilderness nature of the trail all that much."
The Shelburne Rest Area, US Route 2, (603) 466-2607, Season: All year, Hours: Fri - Sun 9-9; Mon-Thurs 9-8, is a NH State rest area which is close to 1.5 miles east of the A.T. and I'd be surprised if they would go along with a hiker feed there.

White Birches Camping Park 218 State Route 2 Shelburne, NH (603)466-2022 is hiker friendly and about 1.5 miles to the west of the trail but I’m not sure they’d approve of non-campers visiting, wouldn’t hurt to check.

There is only .6 mile of road in this area that the trail follows and one spot that might work is where the A.T. meets Hogan Road (N44° 24.241 W071° 07.209) on the east side of the river. Directly across from where the trail hits the dirt road there is a small parking lot where you might be allowed to set up a feed station but there wouldn’t be room enough for cars as well. There is public parking for 6-10 cars about .1 mile east where Hogan Road meets the paved North Road.

I have attached a map that shows the spot. Notice that the spot isn’t in the WMNF but just off Hogan Road that goes through Leadmine State Forest. Note that there is a geocache hidden at this spot so if you see someone come by with a GPS allow them to find it and leave the cache undisturbed when you leave. We all share the outdoors and should respect others right to enjoy the outdoors as well. As long as there is no alcohol you shouldn't have the same problems that happened on the PA State Game Lands. I don't recall that there is room to camp at this spot and it's unlikely that camping would be permitted in the State Park but the parking spot should be considered public and might work for the feed.
4583(click for larger image)

Lone Wolf
08-12-2008, 08:58
just set up in the parking lot at the trailhead and give out sandwiches, chips, drinks and fruit. they're all going to town anyway for burgers, pizza, beer, etc.
keep it simple

A-Train
08-12-2008, 10:35
I like your idea. I've seen this before and it works well. Leave a sign (w/ a cooler of sodas/water) at the AT trailhead, then people have the choice to come down for food, or keep going if they are anti-social or have other plans. Post times you will stop by, e.g. 9,11,1pm, 3pm, 5pm, etc. and/or your cell number. Most thru's have phones now. Also, the hikers seem to know who is around, and what time people will hit the road.

Then folks can camp near you if they're having a good time and want to drink some beers without being rowdy on the AT.

People will come (or wait for a ride) 2 miles for free food. Plus it's easy enough to hitch a ride over to the campground (assuming it's not raining like it was when I was hitching there :))

As others have said, be careful with the alcohol; way too many bad incidents with hikers acting stupid. Keep it lowkey.

Lone Wolf
08-12-2008, 10:37
DO NOT give out alcohol. period

peanuts
08-12-2008, 11:11
lone wolf, don;'t you look at your pms?