PDA

View Full Version : Help requested for new shelter list

Nightwalker
03-04-2004, 23:08
As I hike this Summer, I'm documenting shelter locations and trail sections which have changed since the Summer of 2002.

The reason for this is so that in my re-mapping of the trail, I will not need to GPS-document the centerline of the entire trail--which I will if needed--and locations of shelters which have moved, been added, or been removed since the Summer of 2002.

Having this info will allow me to enjoy myself quite a bit more while still fulfilling a very important goal for my hike, which is bringing the shelter and trail center-line GIS data to current or near current locational standards.

Weary will probably know as much of this as anyone, but I know that I heard changes from lots of folks when I put up the spreadsheet of the shelter and town locations using the 2003 data.

Thanks a lot,
Frank Looper, the MapMan

Nightwalker
03-04-2004, 23:52
Actually, the cutoff date is the first part of 2002.

Thanks,
Frank

jec6613
03-05-2004, 01:12
I'd offer to help, but I don't do survey GPS, only a total station and consumer GPS. OTOH, if you need help with THAT, I'll be glad to help out especially on my trips into the Whites. Hand me a sheet of what was there in 2002 and I'll mark changes.

celt
03-05-2004, 07:33
Frank Looper

I did a quick look through my 2004 Companion and compared it to 2002 and came up with the following list

Vermont

Bromley Shelter, New site 9/2003, 2 miles north of Route 11/30. Replaced Bromley tentsites which were closer to the road.

Churchill Scott Shelter, New site 8/2002, 1.9 miles south of Sherburne Pass (Rte 4).

New Hampshire

Moose Mountain Shelter, Old Name but new location- Under construction 2003 but not sure of its status. Should be open for 2004 hikers. New site is .25 miles north of spur trail to old shelter

Maine

I'm not sure if this change was made by early 2002 so you may know about it.

Daicy Pond Thru Hiker Shelters in BSP removed replaced with...

The Birches Thru Hiker Shelters, on a short side road from the Katahdin Stream Campground Rangers Station.

I'm sure others who know the south better then I will find any changes there that I missed.

Nightwalker
03-05-2004, 08:26
Thanks to both. I'll have the 2004 version of the chart that is here and a couple of other sites done in a day or three, and then I'll see more.

If I hadn't had been tired/zoned/wonky, I'd have realized that the 2004 companion would tell me a lot of the differences. :)

Frank

azchipka
03-05-2004, 09:33
Frank,

One of things I am doing along my southern portition hike is a small amount of shelter reporting. One of the things i have to include on my report is GPS locations.

If you want i can send you the GPS locations for all the shelters as i move up the trail. As a note I will only be doing the shelters directly on the AT, after harpers ferry. I will only be doing the ones i stay at.

Let me know if i should send them along to you.......you can reach me at [email protected] any time in the next two weeks.

Nightwalker
03-05-2004, 10:25
Frank,

One of things I am doing along my southern portition hike is a small amount of shelter reporting. One of the things i have to include on my report is GPS locations.

If you want i can send you the GPS locations for all the shelters as i move up the trail. As a note I will only be doing the shelters directly on the AT, after harpers ferry. I will only be doing the ones i stay at.

Let me know if i should send them along to you.......you can reach me at [email protected] any time in the next two weeks.

Yes, I'd appreciate that. Even if some are duplicated between different methods, it will only serve to verify. Just please let me know what datum you're using.

Thanks,
Frank Looper
[email protected]

azchipka
03-05-2004, 10:47
Yes, I'd appreciate that. Even if some are duplicated between different methods, it will only serve to verify. Just please let me know what datum you're using.

Thanks,
Frank Looper
[email protected]

WGS 84 with a secondary reading in NAD27, elevation mode is 3d.

All readings will be done with a min of four sats. Locations where this can not be achived will be noted wth the number of sats and which sats where used to supply output.

Nightwalker
03-05-2004, 10:52
WGS 84 with a secondary reading in NAD27, elevation mode is 3d.

All readings will be done with a min of four sats. Locations where this can not be achived will be noted wth the number of sats and which sats where used to supply output.

You shouldn't have many signal/number-of-sattelites issues. Most shelters would have to be on a slightly flattened area, which gives a more open-sky view.