PDA

View Full Version : Lost my dog Bittle today

ed bell
08-12-2008, 00:34
My dog Bittle passed away today, unexpectedly. She was a great dog and is on my avatar. She was only 4 1/2 years old and was in my wedding. She died after doing what she loved best, playing frisbee. I will miss her.

Gaiter
08-12-2008, 01:02
so sad, my condolences

Mags
08-12-2008, 01:16
Sorry to hear that Ed. :(

JAK
08-12-2008, 01:39
Sorry to hear that Ed. I don't know you or your dog but I have always judged you favourably because of your avatar, which is probably unwise, but not in this case I don't think. I don't know why dogs lives are so short compared to ours. Just another mystery of the creator I guess. 4 1/2 years especially short.

I know your probably not interested right away but I went with my daughter and her friend to the Animal Rescue Shelter just past weekend. I didn't want to take here there until we were serious but she keeps wanting to go to the pet store so I thought I should show here all the dogs and cats at the Animal Rescue Shelter, so that she might think about logical consequences and so forth. Breaks my heart to go there but the kids seemed to fair ok. Here friend had been there before and got a hamster. My wife is allergic though so we need to find something hypo-allegenic. Anyhow, for what its worth I always liked the look of your dog Bittle and so I think now that Bittle has passed on so young I will try harder to find a good dog that needs a home. Take care.

Sailor (The other one)
08-12-2008, 05:02
I'm sorry to hear that. For a lot of us pets are family.

Two Speed
08-12-2008, 05:24
I'm so sorry to hear that, Ed.

Marta
08-12-2008, 06:25
My condolences, Ed.

NICKTHEGREEK
08-12-2008, 06:45
I'm very sorry for your loss. Memory eternal Bittle.

Animal Cracker
08-12-2008, 07:11
My thoughts are with you.

sheepdog
08-12-2008, 07:21
It's hard to lose a good dog. I'm sorry for your loss.

woodsy
08-12-2008, 07:50
Sorry to hear you lost a good friend and family member ed.

Alligator
08-12-2008, 08:13
Very sorry to hear this Ed, my condolences.

superman
08-12-2008, 08:13
I'm very sorry for your loss.

FWIW On one of our trips to DC we stopped at a rest area. I always try to give Winter exercise on trips so I started throwing the frisbee for her. She jumped in the air to catch it and came down with a yelp. She'd torn her ACL. When my Vet repaired it he said that he'd like to outlaw frisbee playing for dogs. He said that it is very hard on a dog in a number of ways. He recommends throwing a tennis ball instead.

Two Speed
08-12-2008, 08:19
Superman, that's probably true, but from what I understand Bittle lived for playing with a frisbee.

As far as tennis balls go my mutt, Barney goes absolutely ballistic over them, and will actually pass up bacon for a tennis ball. Couldn't care less about a frisbee. All well and good, except Barney's kinda "linear." I just know the tennis ball's gonna bounce off of a curb and he's gonna do the same, if you follow my drift.

Kinda like hiking, sometimes what you love can be hard on you.

Autumnwind
08-12-2008, 08:43
Sorry to hear of Bittle's passing. Always enjoyed your friends advatar picture. Bittle will always be by your side so never forget the fun times and times when you needed that special kiss from a loyal friend. Dogs are always there for us and need us as we need them. It is a good time to find another friend who needs a home. The shelters are full from people leaving their homes to move to an apartment. Lots of loving pets out there waiting for a home. Remember Bittle always. Hugs to you today.

leeki pole
08-12-2008, 09:11
So sorry for your loss. A day doesn't go by when I think about my dogs and what am I going to do when they're gone. You'll see Bittle again, on the Rainbow Bridge. Hang in there, and stay stong. I've got 4 rescues so think about a legacy for your best friend, after you get over your loss.
Again, so sorry.

ed bell
08-12-2008, 09:18
Thanks for all the kind words. They mean a lot.

Mercy
08-12-2008, 10:21
Ed, so sorry for the loss of your friend. There is nothing like a good dog. Linda aka Mercy

IceAge
08-12-2008, 10:28
Losing a good dog is a hard one, you have my best wishes. Sounds like you gave her a great life and she was a happy dog, a good dog can't exist without a good owner.

Hang in there and remember the good times.

StarLyte
08-12-2008, 10:32
I always smile when I see that avatar.

I'm sad for you Ed. :sun

yaduck9
08-12-2008, 10:38
Two and 1/2 years ago a stray Australian Cattle dog appeard in my back yard after a Thunderstorm, At the time I had no thoughts of being a dog owner.

Two and 1/2 years later I have a hard time thinking what it would be like without him.

My condolences on your loss.

adventurousmtnlvr
08-12-2008, 10:47
My deepest empathy. Mine (sparky) also in my gallery, died at age 12 (8 years ago) and I still cry over him even as I write this. He was my only child and I'll never love anyone or anything more. So sorry for your loss. I know Bittle enjoyed her time with you and was Happy; and like you said died doing something she loved, so in that is a blessing. Just remember, memories are something no one can take from us.

superman
08-12-2008, 11:17
Superman, that's probably true, but from what I understand Bittle lived for playing with a frisbee.

As far as tennis balls go my mutt, Barney goes absolutely ballistic over them, and will actually pass up bacon for a tennis ball. Couldn't care less about a frisbee. All well and good, except Barney's kinda "linear." I just know the tennis ball's gonna bounce off of a curb and he's gonna do the same, if you follow my drift.

Kinda like hiking, sometimes what you love can be hard on you.

My Vet also goes on rants about people who let their dog stick its head out of the window of a car. None of my comments are important except for my sincere condolences for the loss of Bittle.

Two Speed
08-12-2008, 11:28
My Vet also goes on rants about people who let their dog stick its head out of the window of a car.Prolly means that's a good vet who cares.
None of my comments are important except for my sincere condolences for the loss of Bittle.What he said.

SteveJ
08-12-2008, 11:49
So sorry, Ed. It's especially tough on us when it's unexpected - at least it was doing something she loved.....

cowboy nichols
08-12-2008, 13:40
My sincere sympathy to you in your loss.I've always had a dog since I was about 3 and I've been blessed , she will stay in your heart ALWAYS. Cowboy & Fancy

7Sisters
08-12-2008, 13:52
Sorry to hear about your dog passing. They are family! I'll be thinking about you during this difficult time.

Peace be with you

CrumbSnatcher
08-12-2008, 14:37
sorry for your loss Ed, i lost my best friend less than 4 months ago. its hard. bittle will be missed by all of us. a good trail dog and best friends are hard to come by.

Tenderheart
08-12-2008, 14:57
I am deeply sorry for your loss. About three years ago, I was blessed with a rescue which we named Cotton. She is a dingo mix and is the best hiking partner that I could ever hope to own. Over the years, we have "acquired" four dogs and four cats. So much for early retirement. Unlike you, I have not had to part with any of them yet. I can only imagine what you must be feeling. Again, I am very sorry.

litefoot 2000

Blissful
08-12-2008, 15:00
I am so sorry!!!

MOWGLI
08-12-2008, 15:01
Ed, I'm so sorry to learn about your loss.

Grinder
08-12-2008, 15:03
Please accept my condolences for the loss of your dog.

Pets are no less a part of our families.

Grinder

Blissful
08-12-2008, 15:10
Pets are no less a part of our families.

Grinder

So true. It took me over six months to get over the loss of our first dog. We did not get our beagle Lady for almost two years.

ed bell
08-12-2008, 16:18
Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. I can't tell you how much it has helped me get through this difficult day. I'm at work and I buried her last night at around 9PM. Bittle was a once in a lifetime dog. I'm crushed.

greentick
08-12-2008, 16:29
Sorry for your loss Ed.

clicker
08-12-2008, 16:52
I recently lost my dog Buddy and I know your pain. I am waiting to get his ashes to spread at his favorite place in our woods. The comforting part is knowing that he had a great life, and made a huge impact on mine. I have a new pup, 8 months old, and she has helped. But he will be missed. I am sorry to hear about your loss.

Rainman
08-12-2008, 16:55
THE BEST PLACE TO BURY A DOG

There is one best place to bury a dog.

If you bury him in this spot, he will
come to you when you call - come to you
over the grim, dim frontier of death,
and down the well-remembered path,
and to your side again.

And though you call a dozen living
dogs to heel, they shall not growl at
him, nor resent his coming,
for he belongs there.

People may scoff at you, who see
no lightest blade of grass bent by his
footfall, who hear no whimper, people
who may never really have had a dog.
Smile at them, for you shall know
something that is hidden from them,
and which is well worth the knowing.

The one best place to bury a good
dog is in the heart of his master.

--- Ben Hur Lampman ---
from the Portland Oregonian Sept. 11, 1925

Safety Pins
08-12-2008, 17:10
Really sorry to hear of the loss of Bittle. I am sure he was much loved and had a very good life with you. Safety Pins

Uncle B
08-12-2008, 17:14
I am truely sorry to hear of your loss.

wanashunkaha
08-12-2008, 17:23
Ed,
I'm so sorry for your loss. We had to put our dog down in Feb. and I feel I'll never get over his loss. I feel your pain. I found some comfort in this site. http://www.petloss.com/ It doesn't remove the pain, but may comfort you to some degree.

Hoop
08-12-2008, 17:30
Condolences. I loved my dogs.

leeki pole
08-12-2008, 17:45
Ed, when you feel like you can, could you share your favorite story about Bittle with us? I think all of us could use some healing, because we know how hard it is to lose a buddy like that and we feel your grief and pain. I just thought a smile and a fond memory would help. :)

Footslogger
08-12-2008, 17:48
My dog Bittle passed away today, unexpectedly. She was a great dog and is on my avatar. She was only 4 1/2 years old and was in my wedding. She died after doing what she loved best, playing frisbee. I will miss her.
=========================

Hang in there Ed ...and just know that she is somewhere running and playing frisbee right now. Remember the good times ...

'Slogger

Jaybird62
08-12-2008, 17:52
Ed my sincere codolences go out to you. Just know that everything is better for your friend, and she is having FUN and playing from here on out!!!

Lost My Mind
08-12-2008, 17:56
That' tough, Ed. While I'm throwing the frisbee to my Grand Dog, Ben tonight, I'll toss an extra one for Bittle.

ytsuejam
08-13-2008, 08:03
Man thats too bad...such a beautiful dog.In 2004 we had to put one of our 3 dogs down to due cancer.But shortly there after,we realized that it was just not the same in our house with only 2 dogs.So we went looking and we're "steered" to our Annabelle,a flat-coat retriever.Helped us in so many ways...a new chapter I guess.

We,as humans our lucky to blessed with the companionship a dog can give.They consider us part of the pack,but just funny looking dogs :rolleyes:

Patrick

pedal
08-13-2008, 08:11
Ed, I am very sorry to hear about Bittle. I have always smiled when I saw your avatar and read your signature.
Even though we know they will leave us someday, the joy they bring each day is worth the sorrow we feel when they go.
Thinking of you,

Sherri and Cookie Dog

jaywalke
08-13-2008, 08:34
"It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs."
--Jim Harrison, The Road Home

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. The unconditional love of a dog is the greatest gift I think I've ever received. I'm off now to take my crazy mutt to the vet for his one-year post-cancer ultrasound. Even the thought of losing him renders me useless.

I think your dog may still be in mid-leap, suspended in the air in that golden moment just before she catches the frisbee, and she always will be . . .

Lyle
08-13-2008, 10:04
Sorry for your loss. I know it is a very difficult thing to loose a good companion. The last dog I lost was special for an additional reason, Sparky had been my Dad's dog. I inherited him when my Dad died. He truly was a part of our family.

Shortly after loosing Sparky, I was presented with a dilemma. A friend knew of a young mutt that was to be put down, because his owners couldn't keep him in their trailer park. That waste of life made me re-consider not getting another dog right away. I took him in and have never regretted it in the least. Elvis didn't replace Sparky, but has filled his own unique niche in my life.

I say all this after reading an article in yesterday's paper about the local animal shelters and animal control facilities being filled to capacity. Families, confronted by loosing their jobs or other poor financial situations are being forced to move from their homes. According to the article, MANY are just abandoning their pets.

I guess I want to encourage you to quickly consider rescuing one of these innocent victims. I didn't think I was ready, only a few days after loosing Sparky, but I was wrong, it did help.

Again, sorry for your loss.

ed bell
08-13-2008, 19:49
One of my favorite pictures. Thanks again for the all the kind words.

OregonHiker
08-13-2008, 19:52

My condolences....sounds like a good friend

Jager
08-14-2008, 00:15
My condolences as well. Just came in off of 40km with my dog Fionn, read your post, and teared up at the thought of not having him with me on the walk. Probably 1/1000th of the way you feel. Hang in.

Regards,
J.

Autumnwind
08-14-2008, 08:48
Very nice picture of Bittle enjoying the fantastic view. She certaining looks like hiking in the woods made her happy too. Wishing you the best.

peanuts
08-17-2008, 15:07
my deepest condolences ed.

Frau
08-21-2008, 00:25
Two weeks after I lost my daughter, I was at Apple Orchard Falls (Blue Blaze) with Winston Wonderdog--her dog whom I inherited (his pictures is in my gallery). He got snake bitten that day. I was petrified that I would lose HIM on top of the first loss. He survived just fine and is my hiking companion just like my daughter was. I have two other large dogs, but Winston is my special runnin' buddy.

Reading about Bittle made me cry all over again.

Frau

Wise Old Owl
08-24-2008, 12:00
Yes that was a good avatar, we got to know you a little when talked about Bittle. Four years is a little short. Sorry for your loss.