PDA

View Full Version : Storing down bag compressed short term

Frosty
08-12-2008, 11:27
Anyone have experience storing a down bag for days in a stuff sack?

I store my down bag in a big sack, and only in the stuff sack when hiking.

However, to prep for a thru of the Northville Placid Trail starting this weekend, it would be muchmore convenient for me to pack my entire pack today. That would mean the bag stays in its stuff sack for four days.

Will this cause irreparable damage to the fill?

Or will the feathers just fluff out as good as new?

I've read the manual and know what it says (don't) and I can make my own guess (it's okay for only four days). What I'm looking for is someone who actually did this and what happened.

fiddlehead
08-12-2008, 12:14
I imagine i'm one of the few but i always store my bags in stuff sacks.
I have 4 of them. 3 are in stuff sacks (i have limited storage space and haven't even used a sleeping bag for the past 2 years) The other one is a -35 deg bag for extreme conditions and I leant it to a good friend who i believe stores it properly.

Anyway, my favorite bag has always been stored in a tight stuff sack, is now 12 years old, has done 5 thru hikes and will probably do a few more although the zipper is not so smooth anymore.

But from past threads on the subject here on WB, i think i'm in the minority and most likely will get hammered for offering up my ways. (i've never been much good at following rules i guess) It's sort of like having health insurance isn't it. most do, but i don't. Probably not the answer your looking for Frosty but I'd pack my bag and forget about those little things and enjoy the hike.

gravityman
08-12-2008, 12:16
4 days, no problem. It might take a little longer to refluff.

fiddlehead
08-12-2008, 12:16
oh sorry, didn't mention it but all of my bags are down.

Marta
08-12-2008, 12:27
I've done short-term, compressed storage several times, when I've been travelling to start a hike, or shipping my pack ahead of me. So far, no harm done. I suspect it's the usual situation, though, that high-quality down doesn't suffer much, while low-quality feathers/down or synthetics would suffer more.

leeki pole
08-12-2008, 12:39
When I went to college I forgot about a down bag from my Scouting days I packed in a stuff sack that I left at my parent's house. It had been in the sack for about 20 years when I got it back:eek:. I shook it out, and although it was a bit musty, to say the least, it probably retained 80% of its loft over that span. So my 20 degree bag is now a 35, but still usable. I think your bag will be fine.

Wags
08-12-2008, 13:53
the majority of bags out there are compressed to a degree when they are shipped and stored at a store. like the majority of others said, you'll be fine

Frosty
08-12-2008, 13:58
I imagine i'm one of the few but i always store my bags in stuff sacks.
I have 4 of them. 3 are in stuff sacks (i have limited storage space and haven't even used a sleeping bag for the past 2 years) The other one is a -35 deg bag for extreme conditions and I leant it to a good friend who i believe stores it properly.

Anyway, my favorite bag has always been stored in a tight stuff sack, is now 12 years old, has done 5 thru hikes and will probably do a few more although the zipper is not so smooth anymore.

But from past threads on the subject here on WB, i think i'm in the minority and most likely will get hammered for offering up my ways. (i've never been much good at following rules i guess) It's sort of like having health insurance isn't it. most do, but i don't. Probably not the answer your looking for Frosty but I'd pack my bag and forget about those little things and enjoy the hike.No, this was exactly the answer I was looking for. Personal experience trumps.

Thanks, everyone.

Now to pack ....