PDA

View Full Version : Platypus CleanStream

gearfreak
08-12-2008, 12:17
This gravity filter (http://www.rei.com/product/767563) finally appears to be available. :cool:

partinj
08-12-2008, 12:30
Seen like a lot of Money for some thing i can build myself. I can get a in line filter and hose for my msr two liter water bag and put toget the same thing for less then $25.00

gravityman
08-12-2008, 13:26
Seen like a lot of Money for some thing i can build myself. I can get a in line filter and hose for my msr two liter water bag and put toget the same thing for less then $25.00

I doubt your homemade filter gets out giardia, salmonella, cryptosporidia (0.2 micron size).

take-a-knee
08-12-2008, 15:01
I doubt your homemade filter gets out giardia, salmonella, cryptosporidia (0.2 micron size).

I think he means just do the "plumbing" yourself with an inline filter like a Seychelle ($28) or a Sawyer ($40 at Walmart with a qt nalgene). The Sawyer seems to be a better filter. My Seychelle started clogging after five days filtering for two and you can't backflush it in the field.

HikerRanky
08-12-2008, 18:07
I think it would be good to have a homemade system go up against the Platy system and see what the flow rates are for the same amount of water.... Of course, you could fill it up, let it filter all night, and then be good to go in the AM....

gearfreak
08-12-2008, 18:53
I've already made one myself, but for those interested I thought I'd post this link to the CleanStream. Sawyer has revamped their product line and the filter I bought last year for $18 is now $69! Anyhow, the finished product in use at Low Gap Shelter back in April is toward the bottom of this prior thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29858&highlight=DIY). :cool:

lunchbx
08-12-2008, 19:29
i had caught word talking shop with someone at a sporting goods, army navy store that there is supposed to be a filter coming out that never needs replacing. It comes with a cleaning kit of some sort but i have not seen or heard anything since. anyone else hear of this?

kayak karl
08-12-2008, 21:39
This gravity filter (http://www.rei.com/product/767563) finally appears to be available. :cool:
price ain't bad. a sawyer filter is $40, 2- 4 liter reservoirs got to be $20 plus each. 10 oz isn't bad either. i can't put my DIY gravity bag in my pack with water in it.
im not buying it, but not a bad price for what u get.

can the filter be bought by itself?:D

take-a-knee
08-13-2008, 07:54
i had caught word talking shop with someone at a sporting goods, army navy store that there is supposed to be a filter coming out that never needs replacing. It comes with a cleaning kit of some sort but i have not seen or heard anything since. anyone else hear of this?

Ceramic element filters (MSR, Katadyn) can be disassembled and the outer surface of the element scrubbed with a scotchbrite pad when they start to clog. They have a longer life than other filters but they are heavier, the gram weenies don't like them. Nothing lasts forever though, including filter elements.

take-a-knee
08-13-2008, 07:56
I think it would be good to have a homemade system go up against the Platy system and see what the flow rates are for the same amount of water.... Of course, you could fill it up, let it filter all night, and then be good to go in the AM....

After about a weeks use the Seychelle filter will take all night to filter a platy full of water. I plan to try the Sawyer.

gearfreak
08-13-2008, 09:19
After about a weeks use the Seychelle filter will take all night to filter a platy full of water. I plan to try the Sawyer.

The Sawyer filter works like a charm and is easy to backflush. My setup can filter 2L in about 3 minutes. The whole thing weighs 4oz. :cool:

take-a-knee
08-13-2008, 09:34
The Sawyer filter works like a charm and is easy to backflush. My setup can filter 2L in about 3 minutes. The whole thing weighs 4oz. :cool:

I must get a sawyer filter then. It looks like Cascade Designs doesn't sell the 4L platys by themselves anymore, so you can't build your own system. The filter with the platy system is one of those hollow fiber things, like the MSR Hyperflow that everybody is having trouble with. The Sawyer sounds like the way to go.

Alligator
08-13-2008, 09:48
The Sawyer filter works like a charm and is easy to backflush. My setup can filter 2L in about 3 minutes. The whole thing weighs 4oz. :cool:I've been happy with my Sawyer filter too. I've got it set up as an inline then I just remove my bitevalve to use it as a gravity filter. I haven't timed it, but the above quote is about right. I generally just filter a liter off for powdered drinks and I do that by lifting the water bladder over my head.

I haven't used it enough to get a good idea of long term clogging or life issues, but the filter is guarenteed for life. It can be backflushed. Clogging would be a reasonable return IMO.

They are $45.00 at REI (http://www.rei.com/product/778041), and there was mention that they were available cheaper at Wal-Mart, but I haven't seen them there myself. The Sawyer site does list Wal-Mart as a retailer.

The system mentioned in the OP is nice off the shelf, but I think if you already have some of the parts, go with the Sawyer. All you have to do is cut into the drip line hose, some clamps are provided. I ended up needing a hose barb as my outflow diameter did not match my system. The Sawyer also has a smaller micron size--0.1.

take-a-knee
08-13-2008, 10:12
I've been happy with my Sawyer filter too. I've got it set up as an inline then I just remove my bitevalve to use it as a gravity filter. I haven't timed it, but the above quote is about right. I generally just filter a liter off for powdered drinks and I do that by lifting the water bladder over my head.

I haven't used it enough to get a good idea of long term clogging or life issues, but the filter is guarenteed for life. It can be backflushed. Clogging would be a reasonable return IMO.

They are $45.00 at REI (http://www.rei.com/product/778041), and there was mention that they were available cheaper at Wal-Mart, but I haven't seen them there myself. The Sawyer site does list Wal-Mart as a retailer.

The system mentioned in the OP is nice off the shelf, but I think if you already have some of the parts, go with the Sawyer. All you have to do is cut into the drip line hose, some clamps are provided. I ended up needing a hose barb as my outflow diameter did not match my system. The Sawyer also has a smaller micron size--0.1.

The Sawyer filter is in the camping section at Walmart. It comes with a Qt Nalgene bottle.

Alligator
08-13-2008, 10:28
The Sawyer filter is in the camping section at Walmart. It comes with a Qt Nalgene bottle.Do you remember the price? I could have missed it in mine, I was looking for the one I bought which was the separate filter. I bought mine for the $45 price and then I heard it was much cheaper at Wal-mart:(.

take-a-knee
08-13-2008, 10:39
Do you remember the price? I could have missed it in mine, I was looking for the one I bought which was the separate filter. I bought mine for the $45 price and then I heard it was much cheaper at Wal-mart:(.

$40 with the bottle, others here have posted they found them for $28, I'm guessing that was without the bottle, I've not seen it available without the bottle. Camping stuff at Walmart is semi-seasonal, and sometimes they mark stuff way down to move it, maybe that is what happened.

kayak karl
08-22-2008, 20:03
can the filter be bought by itself?:D

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Platypus/idesc/Clean+Stream+Replacement+Filter/Store/MG/item/210409/N/949