PDA

View Full Version : what sleeping bag should I get

Trail Trooper
08-12-2008, 12:45
Heading to the JMT in September

I am looking to get a light weight sleeping bag I have narrowed it down to the following bags

Western Mountaineering Mega Light 20DEG 1lb 15 oz

Western Mountaineering alpinelight 20 DEG 1lb 13.0z

Western Mountaineering ultralight 25 Deg 1lb 8 oz

Northface bee line 1lb 6 oz

I am 6ft 2 in 215 lbs

What one do you think is the best if any. I am looking to stay under 2 lbs
It is crunch time
Thanks for your help
Trail Trooper

Hoop
08-12-2008, 14:01
Look at the shoulder/foot dimensions & fill:
Mega = 64''/39", 12oz
Alpin = 64"/39", 19oz
Ultra = 59"/38", 16oz

Depends, if you like feeling real snug (Ultra) or want room to move.

Consider also, the Beeline has a 1/3 length zipper, the WM are full length.

bigcranky
08-12-2008, 15:17
The standard Megalite is a 30-F bag. I have one, and like it quite a lot. It's large enough (I'm pretty big), and keeps me warm right down t0 30-F with long johns. I've been warm into the high teens with a down jacket, fleece tights, and thicker hat and socks.

The Ultralite is a very slim-cut mummy bag. My wife had one, and I could barely zip it around my torso. If you are small across the shoulders, it's a *very* nice bag.

greentick
08-12-2008, 16:42

...Western Mountaineering ultralight 25 Deg 1lb 8 oz

....I am 6ft 2 in 215 lbs

What one do you think is the best if any. I am looking to stay under 2 lbs
It is crunch time
Thanks for your help
Trail Trooper

I have the WM Ultralight Super 20*

I am 6'2" and about 220. Get the long and you can fit in it on your belly. Interestingly enough when I bought it a couple of yrs ago I could have swore the thing was listed as 1lb13oz for the Long and the Reg was 1lb10oz. The current chart shows them as a little heavier.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&viewpost=2&ContentId=27

I love the bag. It is a snug cut, but not uncomfortably so. My shirt size is typically XL, occasionally L. I have been very comfortable to around 10* while wearing silk weights. Good luck.

CarolinaJP
08-12-2008, 16:44
I personally make no restrictions on bag weight. If I cant get a good sleep It's bad for business. Different folks different strokes though. Hope you get it right, and I have no doubt that all your choices are going to be nice ones.

Trail Trooper
08-12-2008, 23:40
anyone have any luck with the bee line

buz
08-13-2008, 09:01
Short zipper and narrow cut on the Bee Line. Not sure how narrow the cut, but you couldn't use as a quilt if that matters. Sleeping is pretty personal on fit and warmth, and I am not a big guy, 6' 180# and I felt too constrained in the WM smaller girth bags. I am side sleeper/knee bender and the fit just didn't work around my waist for some reason. The larger ones were fine.

Trail Trooper
08-13-2008, 19:05
the beeline is light but will it keep me warm at 20

Trail Trooper
08-14-2008, 15:37
I decided the Western Mountaineering alpinelight 2lbs 1 0z It had more down than the ultralite 3 more oz. I have not weighed Down but I think 3 oz is a lot and a little more room. I do not know how cold it will get on the JMT so I played it on the safe and get a 20 Deg bag. I did not like the price of this bag but you get what you pay for 360.00 best deal I could find all I can say I am glad for monthly payments. This bag will replace my Sierra design 40 winks bag 3 plus lbs

Egads
08-14-2008, 18:51
Trooper,

You have the weights & ratings wrong. Don't make a mistake thinking they all have equal ratings. Check WMs website out. http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products

You are not going to get sub 32 oz with the long bag you need anyway.

Since you asked, I chose both a Montbell #0 & the Alpinlite.

I am looking to get a light weight sleeping bag I have narrowed it down to the following bags

Western Mountaineering Mega Light 20DEG 1lb 15 oz

Western Mountaineering alpinelight 20 DEG 1lb 13.0z

Western Mountaineering ultralight 25 Deg 1lb 8 oz

88BlueGT
08-19-2008, 21:44
check out the marmot helium