PDA

View Full Version : Run time of the larger propane camp stoves?

TFin04
08-12-2008, 16:07
I'm headed on a camping trip soon where we will drive in. I planned on bringing one of the basic two burner Coleman stoves that is powered by the 1lb propane canisters.

Can anyone give me an idea of the run time for each canister? We plan to make stew and would need to simmer a large pot for 2 hours or so.

Bob S
08-12-2008, 16:34
1 canister should last the whole weekend and then some.

But if you are concerned, take a spare canister. You are car camping so the weight is not going to be an issue, and you probably will have the space for the extra canister.

mudhead
08-12-2008, 17:59
2nd the take a spare. Those pounders last forever on simmer, but some screw up could happen. I once had a new cannister stay open after disconnecting the generator arm. Spit frosty white for awhile.

Easier to make at home, freeze, and heat up at site. (I am a slug, and eat chili cold. But you could heat stuff up if you are civilized.)

TFin04
08-13-2008, 08:51
Yeah we planned on bringing a couple. The stove and canister weight is a non issue.

The trip is a small game hunting trip so we will hopefully be making the stew with fresh meat. Making it there is kinda part of the tradition.

Thanks for the info.