PDA

View Full Version : Gear List SOBO

kayak karl
08-12-2008, 20:49
This is for a Sept 1-8 Start, SOBO. I have mail drops to gear up for colder months.
what did i miss?

PACK
REI pack Mars 85
JRB pack cover
Trash bag liner
3 liter blatter

SLEEPING
HH Hammock EXPLORER ULTRALITE A-SYM w/webbing and descending rings.
JRB 11-10 tarp w/Kelty Triptease Lightline and 8 gutter spikes
JRB Nest (WINTER NEST for cold)
20 degree down bag. (o bag if needed)
Watch and Nite Ize Lite for hammock

COOKING
3 cup Anti-Gravity Pot w/cozy
Soda can stove
Roof flashing wind screen / pot stand
Fire ring for wood burning ( 1 oz.)
Fuel bottle
Titanium fork and spoon
Plastic measuring cup/mug
Coffee spoon http://www.rei.com/product/638124
Sm Lighter
Banana
Stuff sack for above
Sack for food

WATER
Sawyer 120 water filter
DIY Gravity Bag
1 Liter Platypus

HYGIENE
Tooth brush
Ear plugs
TP
Nail Clippers
Camp Towel
Dental Floss
Cue tips
Baking Soda
Banana
Deet

NAVIGATION
Maps
App Pages SOBO
Compass
Reading Glasses****
Paper and Pencil
Sun Glasses
Head Lamp

MISC
Gerber Mini Multi Tool
Knife/Sparker/Whistle (ALL IN one:))
Walking Stick

CLOTHES
3 Socks
2 Micro Fiber Underware
2 BASE layer sets (1 for the nite)
Nylon Swim Trunks (shorts)
Nylon convertible pants (Mountain Hardware Epic pants for colder)
1 Poly short sleeve shirt
Mountain Hardware Shell (Epic)
Wool gloves (military liners) (winter gloves of colder)
Jacket Liner (Military) (Down liner for cold)
Hat orange with ear flaps (NERDY BUT WARM)
Frogg Thoggs
Trail Runners New Balance (NB 1201 for cold)

EMERGENCY KIT
Duct tape
Mirror
2 single edge blades
cotton balls w/petroleum jelly
50' mason line
safety pins
Magnesium striker
Acua-mira tabs

FIRST AID
Mole skin
Advil
Tumms
4 band aids
Ammonia bug bite stick

EXTRA
S.p.o.t.
PDA w SD cards
Chargers (AC and 2AA)
Digital Camera w/SD cards (fit PDA also)
Money/Plastic
ID

danke schön :)

Panzer1
08-12-2008, 21:28
I would forget about the cotton balls with petroleum jelly since you already have a fuel bottle for starting a quick fire.

Also, I usually carry 2 lighters as they don't too weigh much. Just leave the magnesium striker home and carry a second lighter.

Also, camp shoes of some kind would be good to have.

And is that a banana under hygene?

Panzer

Seeker
08-12-2008, 22:06
two bananas? i usually only carry one... :D

headlamp AND a nite-ize light? if it's what i'm thinking, it's a strap to hold a AA mini-maglite... not sure why you'd need both...

fire ring? why?

3 liter bladder AND a 1 liter bladder? why?

don't see anything resembling needle and thread.

agree with panzer on the shoes and lighter.

Seeker
08-12-2008, 22:09
ok... it just hit me.... banDanas...

fiddlehead
08-12-2008, 22:20
It's a lot more than i would carry.
If you're doing mail drops, leave the nail clippers in the box, same with the battery chargers, extra batteries.
I agree with the extra (small) BIC lighter instead of the mag. striker.
Sunglasses? I guess maybe in the whites but who's seen the sun up there?

Don't see the need for 2 razor blades AND a Gerber tool AND a knife??? (half of all that is plenty IMO)

Seems way extreme on the bladders (2?) AND acua-mira tabs AND water purifier?

Seems like 2 lights also.

I think you will have a lot less when you finish.

But have fun.
(There shouldn't be any droughts that time of year)

Panzer1
08-13-2008, 00:07
As far as sunglasses are concerned, I think a sobo would have more need for them then a nobo. I just guessing that the sun would be in a sobo's eyes more than a nobo.

Panzer

Johnny Swank
08-13-2008, 07:36
You'd be right. I used my sunglasses all the time on my SOBO, especially once the leaves fell. Not nearly as much green tunnel effect on a SOBO, which is one of the big benefits, IMO.

Homer&Marje
08-13-2008, 09:58
Only thing I ever used my gerber multi tool for was the knife... so my large knife and 1 oz baby knife is what I carry. Swiss army knife works better for a multi tool if you have a good one. They usually have an All for poking holes and mine has a plastic toothpick which is really nice sometimes:D

Panzer1
08-13-2008, 20:56
... and mine has a plastic toothpick which is really nice sometimes:D

Yea, I use the toothpick all the time, even at work...

Panzer

bulldog49
08-14-2008, 10:40
If you hike in trail runners, camp shoes are totally redundant. :confused:

Panzer1
08-15-2008, 23:20
If you hike in trail runners, camp shoes are totally redundant. :confused:

Well, I not so sure I agree with that. Anytime you hike all day in a any piece of foot gear it has to rub and wear your foot in certain sports.
When you switch into a lighter pair of camp shoes they will rub and wear your foot in different spots.

Panzer

earlylight
08-16-2008, 20:28
A JRB nest will only take you so far when it starts getting cold at night. I'd recommend that you throw in some kind of foam or primaloft filled inflatable pad for sub 30 degress nights. I'd also look into getting an HH overcover. They say it can add 10 degrees to your hammock when it gets cold.

take-a-knee
08-16-2008, 21:38
The 3L bladder is a good idea. Many times the water source is a long way from your camp and with a gravity filter you don't want to stand there twiddling your thumbs while it runs through. I would add a 24oz gatorade bottle (twist top). A platy is not convenient to drink from. I've found vaseline/cotton balls to be less than flammable, hand sanitizer on a cotton ball works better for me, they light with a Swedish firesteel (that works better than a magnesium stick IME). I've not used the Sawyer but if it clogs you may need a way to backflush it, does is come with a backflush kit? You might want to bounce box it. Maybe plan on a replacement filter, though walmart currently carries them. I'd carry Aqua M or Katadyn tabs for backup. I think 2 sets of long underwear is overkill to start. It won't be cold enough to hike in them so you won't need the second set until it gets cold. The field jacket liner works but it doesn't cover your neck, get a good balaclava, maybe the Bozeman Mountain Works version, good for hammock use also, keeping your head covered can be a challenge. Also consider the JRB hood. SGT Rocks idea on the field pants liners is also a winner for the winter.

kayak karl
09-14-2008, 21:04
ive decided to go with a different pack (old pack 6lb. 5500 cu.in.). i measured all winter gear and came up with 4500 cu.in. (remember im hanging: underquilt, tarp, hammock)
i found two packs i think i like,
1. http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...ail.cfm/GO9120 (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/GO9120)
2. http://www.ula-equipment.com/catalyst.htm

any comments about these or other suggestions at 4500 cu.in.

thank you in advance http://athikersonline.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

take-a-knee
09-15-2008, 08:40
I've not used a ULA pack but many here have, maybe they'll chime in. I've looked at them at Mountain Crossings (Neel Gap), it looks like a superb pack. ULA site said they were out of stock, you might try Mountain Crossings to see if they have one. (706) 745-6095

MOWGLI
09-15-2008, 08:44
Karl, pick up some Paper Birch bark in Maine and stuff it in your emergency kit. It makes great fire starter. Just don't pull it off a live tree. Take it off a down tree - just like you would firewood.

TheChamp
09-15-2008, 20:37
Go with the ULA, you'll appreciated the frame and you'll still be losing 3 lbs from your current pack. I have a ULA Circuit and it's an awesome pack, well thought out and very useful. You'll have to wait till Dec. to buy one direct from ULA-equipment.com but try calling some of the stores that stock them.

kayak karl
11-08-2008, 11:58
Karl, pick up some Paper Birch bark in Maine and stuff it in your emergency kit. It makes great fire starter. Just don't pull it off a live tree. Take it off a down tree - just like you would firewood.
my son and i went on a three day hike in the pines. http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showpost.php?p=55285&postcount=3 (http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=5706)about 3 hrs into trip i saw birch trees on the grown and put bark in pocket. always knew it burnt, but not that good. thanks:)