PDA

View Full Version : Pine Ellis

attroll
08-13-2008, 03:35
I just wanted to pass along some news. I went to visit Pine Ellis in Andover Maine this past weekend and found out that Ilene the owner had a mild heart attack a week ago and is still recovering, she is doing well. I did not get to see her because she was sleeping but her son in-law David filled me in. For anyone that has ever stayed there they know what a wonderful person Ilene is.

I sent my get well card out to her today. She will be in my thoughts.

Just wanted to pass this news on for those that know her.

Marta
08-13-2008, 05:03
Thanks for the news. Ilene is a wonderful person who was very good to me when I stayed there.

The Solemates
08-13-2008, 10:02
very good to us as well!! didnt her husband pass away a few years ago?

Footslogger
08-13-2008, 11:38
Was treated like royalty when I stayed there in 2003.

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
08-13-2008, 11:39
very good to us as well!! didnt her husband pass away a few years ago?

just over a year ago

warraghiyagey
08-13-2008, 23:15
Paul passed at the end of July last year about three weeks after I stayed there. I saw Ilene about a month ago and she has been in amazing spirits as time has moved on.
I will pay a visit on my way to Monson in September. Beautiful woman.

heyoka87
08-18-2008, 00:15
My son and I stayed there in 2005 they were some of the nicest folks we met on our hike. Thoughts and prayers for her and her husband

rasudduth
08-28-2008, 20:56
He passed away the night of July 14th last year when we were zeroing there. Great folks. Just before dinner that night I was talking to Eileen about her husband's condition and hospice care, she had said that he was not quite ready for that yet. When she came to the house (she lives at another house) in the middle of the night I knew something was wrong. What was weird was the General Store was broken into on the same night.

minnesotasmith
08-29-2008, 10:33
Was treated like royalty when I stayed there in 2003.

'Slogger

She and her husband are wonderful people. What a shame. I'll have to send her a get-well card when I'm in a town next.

MyName1sMud
09-08-2008, 14:04
best of luck to her on the recovery

wakapak
09-12-2008, 12:54
sounds like she is recovering pretty well, heard that she was the one who picked up a few hikers and brought them into town the other day! Glad to hear she is doing well and still loves helping the hikers! i stayed with them back in '02, and had a wonderful experience there! have a great picture of her and her husband too!

Chaco Taco
09-12-2008, 15:34
Met her yesterday when she picked up me and Wildflowers. Such a sweet little ole lady.

Cookerhiker
07-29-2009, 22:23
Last week my GF and I spent 3 nights at Pine Ellis while we were hiking from Grafton Notch to South Arm. Ilene and David are very gracious and accomodating hosts and I highly recommend staying there. David will do shuttles as early as 4:30 AM (and he gets up to put the coffee on!). Beds are OK, internet works well, and the kitchen is equipped sufficiently to make any meal you want.

Heading back there this weekend before our hike over the Bemis Range if this weather ever clears up!

Debbie
12-27-2009, 21:07
I stayed there also in July of '09 on a section hike and really liked Pine Ellis. Ilene and David are wonderful hosts. I liked both the house and the shuttle service. Would go back there again or recommend it.

Hope this Christmas finds them both well and happy.

Wobegon
09-15-2011, 21:20
Really didn't enjoy Pine Ellis... They're nice people, but are nickel and dimers for sure. Also, the "resupply" cabinet is selling items out of the hiker box to hikers. Vegan, a NOBO this year bought a jar of peanut butter, then opened it up the next day on the trail. It had a few scoops out of it. I know that times are hard, but that is inexcusable.

Grinder
09-16-2011, 08:41
oh woebegone!! I suppose this happened, but there are many possible causes. why jump to the worst possible?

I found the place to be a delight a few weeks ago. I was there during the hurricane/ tropical storm.

The hiker store was started by a relative to meet hikers demands. There's not much in town. Just a restaurant and a small general store. (One of Ilene sister I think)

Ilene felt bad the day of the hurricane. I hadn't heard heart attack was the cause. She was talking about buying pizzas for the hikers to "give something back" while I was there.

I'd go back in a heart beat!

Jeff
09-16-2011, 09:46
Ilene felt bad the day of the hurricane. I hadn't heard heart attack was the cause. She was talking about buying pizzas for the hikers to "give something back" while I was there.

I'd go back in a heart beat!

The heart attack reference was from a 2008 posting.

I too have only heard great comments about Pine Ellis. They do a good job helping out hikers year after year.