PDA

View Full Version : Exiting the trail north of Harpers Ferry

chris
03-05-2004, 11:39
I'm looking for places to hop off the trail north of Harpers Ferry. That is, a place where it is easy to get into a town with a Greyhound stop or other transit heading west to Chicago. Bear Mountain is an obvious one, but what are some others? Anything between Duncannon and, say, Kent would be appreciated. Of course, a sequence of hitches would get be just about anywhere, but I'd like it to be as convenient as possible for me. The ideal set up would be something like Damascus-Abingdon, where I may be starting from in early May.

azchipka
03-05-2004, 12:12
The answer to your question is right in your post.....get off at Duncannon PA 16 miles east of there is Harrisburg....from you can get anywhere u want as it is the capital city.

chris
03-05-2004, 12:32
Yes, that is one but I am looking for options. I don't know where I'll stop hiking. If I go, I'll just be walking north until the west opens up. So, perhaps Harpers Ferry, maybe further. I'm hoping to get a short list of easy points to exit. I've spotted Stroudsburg, which is only 5 miles from DWG and is a mere (damnation) 19 hours on the Dog to Chicago. What about New Jersey? It seems half of the Greyhound stops are either in or around Newark, or in and around Atlantic City.

azchipka
03-05-2004, 13:01
If your look to take the train forget about using amtrak in jersey....the thing to do is grab one of the local train (New Jersey Transit) and go to NYC or Atlantic City. This link (http://www.njtransit.com/) will provide you with the time tables for all trains, bus's, and subways run by New Jersey Transit. Amtrak doesnt make many stops in NJ just like it doesnt make many in NYC because of the huge amount of options to get to the few stations they have via other means.If you find you are going to be passing through a number of zones to get to the amtrak station consider purchasing a Special Excursion Pass at the NJ Transit station.

Hope this helps.

Wilson76
03-05-2004, 14:11
Harrisburg for Amtrak or Greyhound
Stroudsburg / DWG for Greyhound

Anything else is a pain in the a.

Don't go to NYC (its in the wrong direction). You can catch WB transportation at either Harrisburg or Stroudsburg.

knightjh
03-05-2004, 14:14
I'm looking for places to hop off the trail north of Harpers Ferry. That is, a place where it is easy to get into a town with a Greyhound stop or other transit heading west to Chicago. Bear Mountain is an obvious one, but what are some others? Anything between Duncannon and, say, Kent would be appreciated. Of course, a sequence of hitches would get be just about anywhere, but I'd like it to be as convenient as possible for me. The ideal set up would be something like Damascus-Abingdon, where I may be starting from in early May.
You can stop in Hagerstown (its not REAL far) from the 1-70 footbridge to the Greyhound station PM me and I can get you more info (like extact milage and directions) I live in Hagerstown so its not a problem

soccrosse
03-20-2004, 00:06
The best place just north of Harpers Ferry is South Mountain just south of Washington Monument State Park. Alternate Rt. 40 runs east from the Old South Mountain Inn, (great place to get a steak and beer, hiker friendly) to Frederick, MD, an easy hitch.

jbwood5
05-22-2004, 18:45
Actually, the Delaware Water Gap is an OK choice to end a section hike. This year the Ramada Inn is offering a thru hikers rate of $42 single. They will keep this rate as long as the church hostel remains closed. This includes most non-holiday weekends. The bus station is only about 3/4 of a mile from there (Greyhound/Matrz). This is called the Stroudsburg bus stop even though it is practically in the town of DWG.

I stayed at the Ramada this year (4/29/04) and it is very nice with 12 noon checkout and a generous breakfast bar.

Also, shuttles may be available from Larry at the Pack Shack outfitters which is across from the Ramada.

Just John