PDA

View Full Version : No Cook Food

Rowdy Yates
08-13-2008, 12:04
:-? Was wondering if some of you UL Hikers would share your No Cook Food Menu with me? I would like to get away from carrying a stove and pot if possible. THANX in advance.
"Rowdy"

jesse
08-13-2008, 12:24
Not sure going no cook is UL. Most no cook meals are not dehydrated.

oops56
08-13-2008, 12:26
Well did you know that cold food takes more body energy to digest it then warm.

Lyle
08-13-2008, 12:45
Not sure going no cook is UL. Most no cook meals are not dehydrated.

Very good point, and with the minuscule weight of alcohol stoves today (My entire cook kit is only 8oz, and could be cut down), it is probably an even more valid point. Alcohol is so prevalent, that there is no need to carry much of it on the AT.

Besides, how do you hike without coffee or Hot Chocolate? In my mind, it can't be done! :D

That said, I have used things like packaged (dry) Tobuli or Humus. Just add water in the AM, ready to eat at lunch on pitas (VERY GOOD). Some folks have developed a taste for cold oatmeal or other conventionally hot cereals. Tuna on crackers. Generally anything I would consider lunch would work for a no-cook dinner too.

Sorry I can't offer many more suggestions off the top of my head, maybe someone who actually hikes this way will pipe up. I'd be interested to hear some new ideas too.

Rowdy Yates
08-13-2008, 12:54
Very good point, and with the minuscule weight of alcohol stoves today (My entire cook kit is only 8oz, and could be cut down), it is probably an even more valid point. Alcohol is so prevalent, that there is no need to carry much on the AT.

Besides, how do you hike without coffee or Hot Chocolate? In my mind, it can't be done! :D
:rolleyes: VERY GOOD POINT LYLE!
Thanks to each of you that has responded, I can agree with each of you, so I think I'll stick with the stove and hot meals (especially the coffee, hot apple cider & hot chocolate)

Grinder
08-13-2008, 15:23
gO TO TRAIL JOURNALS and look up "Stumpknocker"

He went stoveless from somewhere around Virginia to New Hampshire. He describes his menu daily.

He's a strong hiker and covers the ground pretty fast. Never more than about three days between motels and cooked meals.

Grinder

Bob S
08-13-2008, 16:54
The stove and cook pot is worth having.

There is just something nice about a hot meal at the end of the day. And also about cappuccino or hot chocolate in the morning.

Plodderman
08-13-2008, 18:29
I never cook anything and have never used a stove. I usually hike two times a year for five days covering 75 to 90 miles. I bring the oatmeal and Lipton Cup of Soup packets and pour cold water in them. Chicken or Tuna mixed with mayo and relish packages. I also pack snickers and power bars and for caffeine I bring Crystal Light that has the B vitamins and caffeine in it. Hasn't failed me for the past twenty years.