PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Sunglasses

Reverie
03-05-2004, 12:07
:sun
I am wondering what people's experiences have been with sunglasses on the trail. Specifically, what brand and style they are using. I know some people go without but I have learned that this is not good for me.

I usually wear a cheap and lightweight pair of polarized (to cut down on glare) wraparound glasses, about $10 from Wal-Mart. I would like to buy a pair with either glass or rugged polycarb but still light, polarized and most of all, rugged.

Any ideas?

Reverie

azchipka
03-05-2004, 12:09
I wear Oakley A Wires

I also wear contacts on the trail.....during my day to day life i wear eye glass's so i dont have much fear of misplacing my oakleys since i feel weird not wearing glass's of some form.

DeoreDX
03-05-2004, 12:33
I wear interchangeable lens glasses, Smith Slider Empires, Smith Slider SL01's, and Optic Nerve Membrane's are the three I've used. I use the orange colored lenses 75% of the time, it offers UV protection and it's a great tint for walks in the dense tree cover and still offers nice proection in those briefs moments in the sun. Then, if you are in a bright and sunny area you can change out to a dark tint.

Kerosene
03-05-2004, 13:08
I've never found the need to wear sunglasses, at least through the Mid-Atlantic states and New England, since you're rarely out of the woods long enough to merit them.

For several years I did bring some extremely lightweight dark, optical-quality "film" that you cut to stick over each eyeglass lens, but I found I never used them. It might be different if you're starting from Georgia before the leaves come out or if you're walking over balds all day, but I think most hikers don't want to try to keep track of one more thing.

Blue Jay
03-05-2004, 13:52
In my humble opinion this thread clearly should be under hiking humor.

Reverie
03-05-2004, 14:00
Why would this be considered humor? Not to get overy serious but I am asking this question because I am trying to draw on other people's experiences prior to investing a lot of money from my very skinny wallet on some quality sunglasses.

gravityman
03-05-2004, 14:20
Why would this be considered humor? Not to get overy serious but I am asking this question because I am trying to draw on other people's experiences prior to investing a lot of money from my very skinny wallet on some quality sunglasses.

If the wallet is thin, don't get anything. If you decide you need some on the trail, just get some at the next walmart, or whatever. Something cheap. There is no need to spend a lot of money on a pair of fashion glasses.

That said, I have. But I use them for whitewater, where polarization is key. I also like them for driving, where again, polarization is key.

Ultimately sunglasses are essentially disposable, as you will break/loss them fairly often.

Gravity Man

DeoreDX
03-05-2004, 14:27
That's why I go with the interchangeable lens glasses instead of regular sunglasses. I fidn I wear them MUCH more then if I carried just a normal pair of sunglesses because they will adapt to the situation with the different tints and light transmissabilities. My favorites are the rose-copper (Orangish colored) with 36% light transmissability (compared to most sunglasses with about 12-15%) that I really helps with my depth perception, sharpness, and contrast while in overcast weather or in the shade and still get my UV protection for my eyes.

MOWGLI
03-05-2004, 19:15
I am wondering what people's experiences have been with sunglasses on the trail.

My experiences? I started with them on March 7, and sent them home 4 days later. I got tired of them getting stained from my sweat dripping on the lens.

Also, once the forest leafs out, sunglasses will serve almost no purpose. I'd leave the glasses at home, or save the money if you haven't purchased them yet. IMO they are a luxury item and almost totally unnecessary.

sakkit
03-05-2004, 20:26
I use Briko Stingers. The lenses are not changeable which I like. Being a cyclist I've gone through a number of Oakleys. The Brikos are no longer made but I do have a small cache of them. They sit close to the face and are anti-fog. They do make you look like a bug though ;) .

sakkit

Nightwalker
03-05-2004, 20:33
I am wondering what people's experiences have been with sunglasses on the trail.
<snip>
Any ideas?

Sweating ruins wearing sunglasses for me. bend over, drip, growl.

:)
Frank

Chip
03-05-2004, 23:33
Sunglasses are great to have when needed. You might also consider this idea. On overcast, cloudy days or walking thru foggy mountain tops I wear
amber lens glasses. This is like adding sunshine to a dark day. The benefit is being able to see everything more distinctly. All ojects are sharp to the eye.
This yellow lens is use for driving and marksmanship where high visibility is needed. These are great for hiking during those days when the sunlight is not so great. Along the way when I take a break I take off the glasses to view the natural light as well. I have good vision, wear glasses only to read.
Anyhow just an idea to pass along.
Happy Trails,
Chip:sun

tribes
03-06-2004, 00:38
I find sunglasses are only necessary when backpacking if their is snow on the ground. The reflection on the ground can cause me to squint really hard. This eventually leads to me developing a headache. Otherwise they stay at home. Like others have mentioned previously, adequate shade cover during the other three seasons on the AT makes them unnecessary IMHO.