PDA

View Full Version : Question for Whisperlite owners

shwn354
08-13-2008, 17:55
Hey, this is Poker. I'm currently at home for a week off of my Nobo hike to make some cash, and i'm debating whether to bring my whisperlite back out with me. its become rather bitchy lately, i'm pretty sure because the fuel line is getting dirty. See, to save money, I've been using good ol' Shell regular unleaded for the entire hike so far, seeing as the paperwork for the stove boldly brags about the ease with which it handles nearly any type of fuel. But now, i cant leave the thing alone for a second, or it goes out. i'm always pumping away or turning up the gas. i'm wondering how i can best effectively clean out the fuel line. I've had the stove for years, though i've never used it this often obviously. but i've never taken the time to give it the care it so rightly deserves. I could just check MSR's website for my solution, but i figured the kind and nonjudgmental members of the whiteblaze community would love to tell me how to solve this problem.

Thanks,
Poker

ed bell
08-13-2008, 18:06
While this stove is able to utilize straight gasoline, it really is hard on it when used day in day out as you are. I have a buddy who has used the good old Whisperlight for 20+ years. I'll call him and get you back up and running. Give me a couple of hours to give you some tips.

Tipi Walter
08-13-2008, 18:27
Cleaning the fuel line is probably something that should be done on the Whisperlite about once a month. You need a stove wrench and some fresh gasoline. Remove the top stove screw and pull the bottom fuel cable off attached to the needle jet housing after scooting the stove off the bottom little metal ring cup, being careful to keep an eye out for the bottom needle jet(but it's screwed inside a metal housing with a brass nut--you might need to check the jet just for the heck of it). Separate the fuel line from the stove. Now the fun part begins.

With the stove wrench, grab hold of the fuel cable and pull it out of the stove sheath. It's about 15 inches long and probably sooty and dirty, so here's where the fresh gas comes in. Pour the gas down into the cable sheath and onto the cable and reinsert the cable and slide it back and forth a bunch of times and then remove it and start over with a bit more fresh gas. Keep doing this until the cable comes out clean, etc. These directions are for the normal Whisperlite/Simmerlite(has two nuts and not one screw), not the International.

Finally, slide the cable all the way back in and using the wrench to push it in if you need it. Then try to get the bottom cup and the fuel cable coil seated properly and the hoop placed correctly by the stover burner in the slot on the top. Phew, sounds complicated but it ain't. Just keep an eye on it all when you're taking it apart.

Peaks
08-13-2008, 18:32
First question: Does it hold pressure? If you need to pump the stove constanly, then it's losing pressure somewhere. If so, then check the gaskets.

If it's not getting fuel, then take the stove apart and clean the orfice (shaker jet) and fuel line (pull out the flexible rod that is inside the fuel line, wipe it off, and then repeat a couple of times.).

And, a short answer is to go buy the "annual maintenance kit." and just do that. Cheaper than buying a replacement.

Tipi Walter
08-13-2008, 18:38
Yeah, the fuel pump is a separate issue and like the stove needs to be periodically updated with new gaskets/grommets and the inner pump skirt(black rubber)needs to be lubed regularly. I always take out a set of grommets, a stove wrench and a little tube of MSR pump lube on every trip. I've never used regular car fuel, just white gas. Why tempt the fates?

Bob S
08-13-2008, 18:59
I don’t see the attraction to a stove line that you have to overhaul once a year, and carry a field repair kit with you while walking about. :rolleyes:

ed bell
08-13-2008, 19:08
Looks like you have some great help already.

Bob, how about saving your opinion for the proper forum. This is a straight forward thread.

shwn354
08-14-2008, 00:24
Thanks everybody. I think my wrench and whatnot is in my bounce box back at Delaware Water Gap, but I will get a hold of it soon. If this works, I'll probably stick with it. Not as light as a soda can, but I love that thing.

Peaks
08-14-2008, 07:33
I don’t see the attraction to a stove line that you have to overhaul once a year, and carry a field repair kit with you while walking about. :rolleyes:

I've used the Whisperlite for several years (decades), almost since they first came out. I don't do an overhaul until it needs it, which is happens every 5 years or so. And I don't carry a field repair kit either. Maybe I'm tempting fate, but so far, I have gotten away with it.

But, when I'm backpacking solo these days, I use an alcohol stove, so the Whisperlite doesn't get the use that it used to.

Homer&Marje
08-14-2008, 07:56
Used a Whisperlite for 13 years. If you have a week off play with making alcohol stoves, you'll be much happier with the ease of setup, cleanup and no maintenance. Take your whisperlite windscreen and your good... heres a link if you want it on a quality stove design ( I use 2 at a time, each with 1/2 oz of fuel and I can boil 2 liters in under 10 minutes.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRt8mNOP2b0

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=26694&original=1&c=member&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&imageuser=17846&cutoffdate=-1

Don't get me wrong the whisperlite can be cleaned, and it is a great stove. I think this the new direction however... Good luck on the rest of your hike Happy trails

King Steve
08-17-2008, 16:59
I've also had a whisperlite for 20+ years. If yours is like mine, more than likely all you need to do is take the cleaning tool that came with the stove and stick it in the hole where the gas comes out a few times to clear the carbon build up in it.

sheepdog
08-17-2008, 21:21
Try to always use white gas with the stove. I know they say multi fuel and you can use gasoline but, gasoline has additives in it that make your car run better. It is those additives that clog your stove up faster.