PDA

View Full Version : Current Maine Conditions

ozt42
08-13-2008, 18:09
All right folks, with all the rain we've been having I'm looking for a good 5 day hike that isn't completely waterlogged for late August.

How are the conditions between Stratton and Caratunk/Monson or should I Just give up and do a chunk of the Whites instead?

modiyooch
08-13-2008, 18:45
For me, the Whites, at least Pinkham to Gorham were more waterlogged than the northern section of the wilderness.

ozt42
08-14-2008, 11:30
I did the northern half of the wilderness last year, wanted to do something different this year. How was Bigelow to Caratunk?

knicksin2010
08-14-2008, 15:03
If you want to get out of the rain you might have to go further south and get out of the N.E. What a summer!

ozt42
08-15-2008, 10:00
I know it, probably not possible this year. My main concern is mud and poor trail conditions. I don't mind getting rained on but I like solid trail to walk on...

modiyooch
08-15-2008, 20:06
the mud and conditions were so poor that I actually dreamt that I was slipping in the mud and woke myself up with the fall. The was the first of August. It might be perfect by the end of August. I would hike regardless.

ozt42
08-16-2008, 00:27
I will, originally I was going to do the mahousics but a friend told me it was one long swamp, then i figured bigelow to caratunk and my brother went fishing up there and said that was a mess...

I might do a north to south of Baxter instead...

weary
08-16-2008, 09:51
I will, originally I was going to do the mahousics but a friend told me it was one long swamp...
I've walked the Mahoosucs several times. I don't remember any swamps. It's basically a ridge walk through a high elevation sphagnum bog. But most of the muddy sections have been bog bridged, most of which were replaced fairly recently with decay resistant planks.

Weary

Tin Man
08-16-2008, 10:02
Have you checked reports from ViewFromTheTop? Here are reports for Maine...

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

ozt42
08-16-2008, 14:13
I've walked the Mahoosucs several times. I don't remember any swamps. It's basically a ridge walk through a high elevation sphagnum bog. But most of the muddy sections have been bog bridged, most of which were replaced fairly recently with decay resistant planks.

Weary

that settles it, Last time I went through that section (many moons ago) the bog bridges were completely falling apart and the ridge between speck and goose eye was solid mud. If those have been replaced I'll probably do gorham to andover this year.

DavidNH
08-16-2008, 16:36
I agree with Knicksin2010 on this one.. forget New England all together if you want a nice dry trail. The 100 mile widlerenss in ME i suspect will be one long mud puddle!

Oh and Weary, the Mahoosics, as I recall, have plenty of opportunities to get wet. yes it is a ridge walk, but the terrain gets boggy and in places the bridge is eroding right into the water and peat!

Just re read your post. Yeah that is a nice section you have proposed but it will be water logged in late August especiallyif we don't get a long dry spell. Haven't had a long dry spell all summer so why would we start now? Any stream that you would need to cross will be very high. forget rock hopping.. think fording!

all rivers in NH (and I suspect in ME as well) are at spring time levels. There are warnings posted in bulletin section of the AMC web site www.outdoors.org (http://www.outdoors.org).

DavidNH

PS.. how the heck are the knicks gonna win in 2010? there's the Boston Celtics!!!!!

knicksin2010
08-16-2008, 17:20
PS.. how the heck are the knicks gonna win in 2010? there's the Boston Celtics!!!!!Maybe I should have said 3010 when I started using this name 8 years ago.:-?

boarstone
08-16-2008, 17:58
As of yesterdaty, the outlet to Long Pond, Long pond stream in the "100 miler" was running chest high, hydralics at the crossing of the AT over the booulders there, the hiker who informed me of this suggested to go UP steam 50-60' and cross there.

modiyooch
08-16-2008, 20:45
As of yesterdaty, the outlet to Long Pond, Long pond stream in the "100 miler" was running chest high, hydralics at the crossing of the AT over the booulders there, the hiker who informed me of this suggested to go UP steam 50-60' and cross there. Still? This river was chest high on Aug 8th when I was hiking south. Long Pond road was a river. The only way that I got out of there was off a side trail 2 miles off the trail and then barely made it out on the roads with the car. Nobody was able to get through northbound either. I didn't get to do my last 15 miles. Also, when I went through 4th mt bog, the planks were 1.5 feet under water.

modiyooch
08-16-2008, 20:51
Hi K., I just figured out who you were. Is it actually still raining?? I saw soo much water there, and sadly, we are still in a drought.

weary
08-16-2008, 23:27
A few more showers are expected, but then Maine faces several days of sunshine, according to the weather report this evening. This should help conditions to improve.

Weary

boarstone
08-17-2008, 15:29
Still? This river was chest high on Aug 8th when I was hiking south. Long Pond road was a river. The only way that I got out of there was off a side trail 2 miles off the trail and then barely made it out on the roads with the car. Nobody was able to get through northbound either. I didn't get to do my last 15 miles. Also, when I went through 4th mt bog, the planks were 1.5 feet under water.

Yeah, she called me from Chairback/Barren range to have me add to her food drop and I asked her on the water conditons and that is the info I got so I relayed it here. Hopefully it's gone down some by today, but we keep getting afternoon drenchers here up in the mts. and it's all run-off to the steams...:(

ozt42
08-17-2008, 16:38
the forecast looks pretty good for maine for the week with intermittent storms through new hampshire. I don't expect the rivers to come down much. I guess I'll pack along the mud shoes no matter where I go and leave it to the last minute to decide what looks driest.

modiyooch
08-17-2008, 20:07
nc is dry

JohnnyB
08-18-2008, 16:11
the forecast looks pretty good for maine for the week with intermittent storms through new hampshire. I don't expect the rivers to come down much. I guess I'll pack along the mud shoes no matter where I go and leave it to the last minute to decide what looks driest.

I just did the mahoosuc traverse this past weekend and I did it 6 weeks ago. The conditions are actually fairly comparable as to 6 weeks ago.

Yes, you will get wet feet. But there are no river crossings to worry about and there was only 1 spot where I stepped knee deep into a bog - and that was mostly from inattention.

weary
08-18-2008, 16:14
I just did the mahoosuc traverse this past weekend and I did it 6 weeks ago. The conditions are actually fairly comparable as to 6 weeks ago.

Yes, you will get wet feet. But there are no river crossings to worry about and there was only 1 spot where I stepped knee deep into a bog - and that was mostly from inattention.
How were the bog bridges? Are they holding up?

Weary

oops56
08-18-2008, 16:17
A real bad Storm heading for upper new York, Central VT, new Hampshire, maine between 7 p.m. 10 to night

dessertrat
08-18-2008, 16:28
I am glad, reading this, that I decided to put off my Maine hike until the first week of October. (Knock on wood-- watch it snow then!)

JohnnyB
08-18-2008, 20:40
How were the bog bridges? Are they holding up?

Weary

Mostly they are pretty good. There are a few spots where they are rotted away a bit, but overall I thought the trail was in good condition all things considered.

It looks like some new boards were laid down recently as well.

ozt42
08-19-2008, 15:21
Mostly they are pretty good. There are a few spots where they are rotted away a bit, but overall I thought the trail was in good condition all things considered.

It looks like some new boards were laid down recently as well.

Excellent, thanks. That used to be my favorite section of trail years ago but it was always in really bad condition every time I hiked it.

Kirby
08-19-2008, 21:29
I agree with Knicksin2010 on this one.. forget New England all together if you want a nice dry trail. The 100 mile widlerenss in ME i suspect will be one long mud puddle!

Oh and Weary, the Mahoosics, as I recall, have plenty of opportunities to get wet. yes it is a ridge walk, but the terrain gets boggy and in places the bridge is eroding right into the water and peat!

Just re read your post. Yeah that is a nice section you have proposed but it will be water logged in late August especiallyif we don't get a long dry spell. Haven't had a long dry spell all summer so why would we start now? Any stream that you would need to cross will be very high. forget rock hopping.. think fording!

all rivers in NH (and I suspect in ME as well) are at spring time levels. There are warnings posted in bulletin section of the AMC web site www.outdoors.org (http://www.outdoors.org).

DavidNH

PS.. how the heck are the knicks gonna win in 2010? there's the Boston Celtics!!!!!

That's the way it was in late July.

Kirby