PDA

View Full Version : A couple basic questions for Amicalola - Neels

nice marmot
08-13-2008, 22:13
Hello all,

My fiancee and I will be out in Georgia next week and plan to take the trail from Amicalola - Neels, Aug 20-23. All of our hiking experience is in the Rockies, so I'm expecting a rather different experience on the AT, which brings to mind some questions:

I am expecting achingly hot days, but how cold should we plan for in the nights at elevation, camping on Springer, Blood etc? We will be in a tent, not shelters. Planning to camp at Springer, Gooch, Blood if we get the mileage I'm hoping for.

I typically carry bear spray in backcountry of the Rockies on account of Grizzlies are enormous. I won't be able to bring the bear spray on the flight, so I would have to buy a new can for only a few days of hiking...from what I read on other threads it sounds like a general consensus is that the black bear population along the AT doesn't quite merit the spray. We're well versed in keeping a clean campsite and making noise along the trail, etc, so I'm comfortable without it. Would anyone urge me to reconsider? News of recent aggressive bear activity or anything of the sort?

Any spectacular attractions along this route not to miss? Great waterfalls, swimming holes to help deal with August heat?

Will the Amicalola Visitors center sell good topo maps or should I snap these up in Atlanta first?

Any other words of wisdom would be welcome. Thanks all!

fiddlehead
08-13-2008, 22:36
Sounds like a nice hike although it might be hot like you said.
I don't think you'll have any elevation problems having hiked in the Rockies.

Blood Mtn is 5,000 feet at the top. There is a dirty, mice infested building up there (dirt floor) but there's tent space outside. You will have much more problems with mice than bears.

I would not take bear spray, and no need to wistle or wear bells while hiking. The east coast bears are different from Griz and they (I think) get hunted in this area so have fear of man and you most likely will not see one. (i've done Georgia 7 times now and have yet to see a bear in GA although i've never been there in August)

There is some nice waterfalls on day 1 or 2. I would take the data book and there's lots of debate here going on right now about maps. The ATC has the narrow Appalacian trail maps that are ok if you stay on the trail. I don't know what the Visitory center sells at Amicolola.

Have fun.

Skidsteer
08-13-2008, 22:43
No spray, bells, or whistles.

See Amicalola falls at the park. Long creek falls about 14 miles in. If you really want to swim, cut left at Jarrard Gap for @ a mile hike to Lake Winfield Scott. It has a beach and everything. Bathrooms too.

Tennessee Viking
08-13-2008, 22:49
Skip the topos, and go for the ATC maps and guides. Topos might be great in detail for most areas, but they are also usually several years out of date. ATC maps will show you current shelters and official water points. And doesn't hurt to have current forest roads listed in case of emergency. You can get those at any outfitter or most bookstores.

As for weather, expect Georgia to be hot and humid during the day. Then drop to the 50-60s at night. Change out to dry clothes from sweaty clothes at camp.

Elevation wise this will be easy for you Rocky Mtn people. Climbs can range from 500 to almost 2000 feet.

The most common bear problems are up within the Smokies to Hot Springs. Walnut Mtn and Roaring Creek are the most common bear-visited shelters. If you hang your food properly for bears and far enough from camp, bears will not bug you.

I will be up at Neels and Blood Mtn later on.

Check out the falls at the Park, then got to get your pick at the terminus, then Three Forks is a nice area for roaring water.

Hoop
08-13-2008, 23:03
In case you're in the neighborhood - last month while getting water at the Gooch Mt shelter I noticed a smallish hornet nest 15 ft beyond the water source about 5 ft off the ground.

Skidsteer
08-13-2008, 23:09
In case you're in the neighborhood - last month while getting water at the Gooch Mt shelter I noticed a smallish hornet nest 15 ft beyond the water source about 5 ft off the ground.

'Tis the season for sure. Hornet's nests are something to watch for this time of year. I'd rather see a bear.

halibut15
08-13-2008, 23:12
Actually, your chances for a bear sighting are pretty good, although there's never been a reported bear attack in GA (unprovoked, at least...there was a dumb kid that was throwing stuff at one last year). I've seen around 7 hiking on or near the AT in recent years, but all past (north of) Neels. Nothing to really worry about if you follow good camping and LNT practices. Have a good hike...it's a great section!

Bulldawg
08-14-2008, 09:01
I really wouldn't worry about the bears much. They are pretty scared of you down here. But I wouldn't believe the statements that there aren't many in Georgia. There was just recently an article in my local paper (I live in the NE GA Mountains, about 20-25 miles from the trail) submitted by a DNR ranger stating the bear population was exploding in the mountains. Just a few weeks ago my daughter and I saw several black bear in a Woody to Neel day hike. There is also a troublesome bear in the Blood Mountain vicinity as we speak. He is not aggressive or anything, just nosy. I have personally talked to three people who have had this particular bear visit their camp at Slaughter and Blood at night. Frank Wright with the GATC confirmed for me last Friday this bear has been busy stealing food and just causing general havoc along this section of the trail. But again, remember, I said no one has stated he is aggressive, just nosy.

Anyway, nice hike you have planned there. Three days is aggressive for that section, but easily done by a couple of in shape hikers. I ran into three hikers from Florida last Friday at Springer that had taken two days just to make the approach trail. Good luck and welcome to Gawga!!

BookBurner
08-14-2008, 09:10
Ditto what everyone else said about bears. No concerns, just practice good LNT techniques. As for maps, know that the AT is blazed to death. Unless you anticipate taking side trails, you might just consider picking up the AT data book. It provides trail mileage between all the things you'll be looking for - water, campsites, shelters, roads, general elevation info., etc.

jesse
08-14-2008, 10:00
There is no water at the top of Blood Mountian. Might want to stop at Slaughter Gap. I like camping near a water source.

bloodmountainman
08-14-2008, 10:05
Most of the high country springs are getting dry.... find wet ground, do a little digging, and you'll get water.

max patch
08-14-2008, 10:33
No spray, bells, or whistles.

See Amicalola falls at the park. Long creek falls about 14 miles in. If you really want to swim, cut left at Jarrard Gap for @ a mile hike to Lake Winfield Scott. It has a beach and everything. Bathrooms too.

This is all good advice.

If you have time to go the LWS -- and its a nice stop --then I'd get my water for the night there. The last water before Blood was just a seep a week and a half ago.

Maybe someone who has more current info will post.

Bulldawg
08-14-2008, 10:45
Most all water up above 3000 feet in Georgia is just a seep. I didn't go over to Slaughter Saturday, so I don't know how it looks, but I would guess it is just a seep if not dry on the trail. Springer is supposedly dry at the shelter, but I hear you can go 150 yards or so down the creek bed and get water. Three forks of course is roaring, but still down from normal. At Long Creek Falls you can definitely tell the creek is way down. Good luck, enjoy your hike.

halibut15
08-14-2008, 13:19
This is all good advice.

If you have time to go the LWS -- and its a nice stop --then I'd get my water for the night there. The last water before Blood was just a seep a week and a half ago.

Maybe someone who has more current info will post.

Ditto with everyone on the water. I was at the Blood Mtn. water source a week ago and it was virtually dry. You can get reliable water partially down either the Jarrard Gap or Slaughter Creek Trails without going all the way to Lake Winfield Scott. Both trails pick up reliable streams not very far from the AT. Of course, the lake is pretty awesome...:banana

Berserker
08-14-2008, 13:44
I am expecting achingly hot days, but how cold should we plan for in the nights at elevation, camping on Springer, Blood etc? We will be in a tent, not shelters. Planning to camp at Springer, Gooch, Blood if we get the mileage I'm hoping for.

Good advice was given on this already. It will be hot during the day (especially for you Canadians...eh), and nice at night. I did the entire GA section in June, and did the first 3 days similarly to what you are proposing (Three Forks, Gooch, Slaughter Creek). It was not easy, but if you are in decent condition it shouldn't be a problem.

I typically carry bear spray in backcountry of the Rockies on account of Grizzlies are enormous. I won't be able to bring the bear spray on the flight, so I would have to buy a new can for only a few days of hiking...from what I read on other threads it sounds like a general consensus is that the black bear population along the AT doesn't quite merit the spray. We're well versed in keeping a clean campsite and making noise along the trail, etc, so I'm comfortable without it. Would anyone urge me to reconsider? News of recent aggressive bear activity or anything of the sort?

Again, good advice given already. Bears in the SE are an annoyance at worst. I would just use good practices like keeping a clean camp and hanging your food.

Any spectacular attractions along this route not to miss? Great waterfalls, swimming holes to help deal with August heat?

They don't call it the "green tunnel" for nothing. There are not a lot of vistas. The best views in that section in my opinion were on top of Blood Mtn. Can't comment on the swimming holes.

Will the Amicalola Visitors center sell good topo maps or should I snap these up in Atlanta first?

If it were me I would pick it up sooner than later to plan my trip. In my opinion, the ATC map for that area is sufficient.

Have fun!

But I wouldn't believe the statements that there aren't many in Georgia. There was just recently an article in my local paper (I live in the NE GA Mountains, about 20-25 miles from the trail) submitted by a DNR ranger stating the bear population was exploding in the mountains. Just a few weeks ago my daughter and I saw several black bear in a Woody to Neel day hike.

I agree. My buddy and I saw 3 bears between us when we did the entire GA section in June. They were all North of Neel Gap.

There is also a troublesome bear in the Blood Mountain vicinity as we speak. He is not aggressive or anything, just nosy. I have personally talked to three people who have had this particular bear visit their camp at Slaughter and Blood at night. Frank Wright with the GATC confirmed for me last Friday this bear has been busy stealing food and just causing general havoc along this section of the trail. But again, remember, I said no one has stated he is aggressive, just nosy.

Well, you can add me to your list. I was visited by said bear around midnight while I was camped at one of the Slaughter Creek tentsites in June. I only heard him, never saw him. Also, talked with a guy that had some food stolen (presumably by the same bear) up on Blood Mtn when I was on my way up.

Hoop
08-14-2008, 15:35
Oh, yeah, be prepared for tons of poison ivy and lots of yellow jackets (they don't hassle, but they're all over the place).

scope
08-14-2008, 17:04
Hello all,

My fiancee and I will be out in Georgia next week and plan to take the trail from Amicalola - Neels, Aug 20-23. All of our hiking experience is in the Rockies, so I'm expecting a rather different experience on the AT, which brings to mind some questions:

Ughh... summer camping in GA with a tent! Its why a became a hammocker. Although we've had some decent weather lately, August is typically the worst for heat. Daytime will be hot/humid and most of the high points won't have any breeze due to the lush foliage. Lows to me are the real problem. Yes, it might get down to 60 just before dawn, but its likely to be above 70 well after dark, 80s perhaps.

If bear spray helps you feel safe, then bring it. I don't use it, and I don't for the rockies either, although I typically go to RMNP where bears are not much of an issue. There's a sign posted on Springer that you're not supposed to camp on the mountain due to bears, so keep that in mind.

I think the only other place around to camp is at the shelter. If you can do the mileage to Longs Creek the first day (its mostly downhill from Springer to the falls), that would be a good place to spend your first night, especially since the next day is harder (up & down) getting to Gooch. If you want to go a little further on day2, Ramrock is a good place to camp (no water).

Have a nice trip! (pun intended)

ChinMusic
08-14-2008, 21:35
I'm planning on doing the segment in early November. I have my fingers crossed that the springs are running.

Berserker
08-14-2008, 22:11
There's a sign posted on Springer that you're not supposed to camp on the mountain due to bears, so keep that in mind.

I think the only other place around to camp is at the shelter. If you can do the mileage to Longs Creek the first day (its mostly downhill from Springer to the falls), that would be a good place to spend your first night, especially since the next day is harder (up & down) getting to Gooch. If you want to go a little further on day2, Ramrock is a good place to camp (no water).

Yeah I forgot to mention that. The sign on Springer technically doesn't say not to camp there, but it strongly discourages it. At any rate, I thought Three Forks was a really nice spot to camp. Just note that Three Forks is at a forest service road (58?), so there may be car campers there on the weekend.

Nearly Normal
08-14-2008, 22:14
Have a good hike and don't believe all that "you might be a Southerner if" crap. You will find the folks friendly.
Take a break at Long Creek Falls 4.9 mile mark. Great place to cool off.
Good place to camp is Justus Creek at 13.6 mile mark.

nice marmot
08-14-2008, 22:58
Wow, thanks for all the replies, quite a wealth of information out there.

-Don't worry, you won't catch me wearing bear bells. The joke out here goes:

How do you tell the difference between Grizzly bear droppings and black bear droppings?
Grizzly droppings has bells in it.

We've got a ridiculous 8L carrying capacity for water should we need it, not that I've ever needed nor expect to need that much. We'll definitely stock up as needed before hanging out on summits.

I like the idea of pushing past Springer the first day, to take the load off the next two days. It all depends on the trip out from downtown Atlanta...

Thanks all, I'll let you know how it goes!

papa john
08-14-2008, 23:07
It's been awhile since I've done that stretch, but I think water isn't an issue until you go past Hawk Mountain Shelter. That's also where you start to get a bit of a workout going up and down quite a bit.

MoBill122
08-16-2008, 20:30
Well... I got to say it...since ya'll were talking about bears.

No one warned him about those north Georgia Big Foots ! ! <BNG>

Sorry...couldn't help myself....

DavidNH
08-16-2008, 20:46
No need for bear spray. In the appalachians there are no Grizzlys, just black bears. Most likely you wont even see one.

expect wicked hot temps, but also plenty of humidity. Leave cotton clothes home unless you want to be drenched in sweat.

david

Captn
08-17-2008, 20:01
I did the same section last November. It was my first trip on the AT.

Just a couple of differences between the AT and the Rockies ...

Don't expect a lot of switchbacks .... they are there when they're really needed, but the AT is not graded for pack stock and may be a bit steeper than your norm. This may reduce your miles a bit.

The people I met on the trail were without a doubt the friendliest I've met on any hike. Even the South bounders that I ran into on the trail wanted to stop for a minute and chat. Unbelievably friendly.

There are some great vistas along the way.

The Shelters are great ... bear bagging systems at each, tent areas too. Privy's at each as well.

The people here on WB are a fantastic resource ... don't hesitate to ask them anything.

Panzer1
08-17-2008, 20:29
We're well versed in keeping a clean campsite and...Don't worry too much about keeping a clean campsite since just about anywhere along the beginning of the trail generations of hikers will have washed out their pots and pans and threw the food encrusted water on the ground right next to where you are going to put your tent.:)

Panzer

Bulldawg
08-17-2008, 20:38
Yeah I forgot to mention that. The sign on Springer technically doesn't say not to camp there, but it strongly discourages it. At any rate, I thought Three Forks was a really nice spot to camp. Just note that Three Forks is at a forest service road (58?), so there may be car campers there on the weekend.

There is PLENTY of tent camping on Springer f you want to stop there. The tent camping in out in the meadow just east of the summit. Take the trail towards the shelter and you will see the meadow. Last weekend the spring at the shelter was dry at the shelter, but had water a few hundred yards down the creek bed.

Maybe we will get a tropical storm or three in the next few weeks though!

Pepper Beard
08-18-2008, 00:55
My fiancee and I will be out in Georgia next week and plan to take the trail from Amicalola - Neels, Aug 20-23.

Bad timing. They are calling for Tropical Storm Faye to come right through that area. A good chance it will be a tropical storm or depression during those days you are planning to hike.

Gladiator
08-18-2008, 20:18
I did the same section last November. It was my first trip on the AT.

I may hike this section in November. How were the spring levels last November?

Captn
08-19-2008, 21:17

You could still find water .... I carried a 2 plus liter platy and never ran out.

Of course ... it was cool enough that I didn't have to refill a lot during the day.

Tennessee Viking
08-19-2008, 22:33
How is the parking at Neels Gap and the center?

Skidsteer
08-19-2008, 23:05
How is the parking at Neels Gap and the center?

No overnight parking at Neel Gap.

Byron Reece trailhead, 1/4 mile North on SR 129 is generally good but can get crowded on weekends.

Captn
08-20-2008, 08:11
You could still find water .... I carried a 2 plus liter platy and never ran out.

Of course ... it was cool enough that I didn't have to refill a lot during the day.

Check out the Mountain Crossings website ... they were, at least last fall, putting up water reports regularly.

Flinx
08-21-2008, 20:40

I did that section last November...it was very dry last year but i found water...i made sure to ask every SOBO where they got water.

nice marmot
08-27-2008, 00:09
Well, we've made it, thanks for all the info. For anyone else coming across this thread for info on this section, here's a quick breakdown of the trip:

They did have good maps at the Amicalola center that did the trick. I passed on the Appalachian Trail novel they had at REI. We got on the trail at 12:30 and got to Springer in 5 hours, so we decided to push on to Three Forks, which was a great campsite. It's a good thing we did, because the next day out to Gooch Gap was killer, particularly through Sassafras. Water sources were definitely low approaching Gooch, streams a couple inches deep at the most. We took the sidetrip to Lake Winfield Scott and had the beach to ourselves, which was a great break from hiking. Plus, filling up on potable water made the lady happy, she's not too fond of the taste of the water treatment tablets. Instead of going back to the trail, we took the Slaughter Creek trail, what more natural a path to take to Blood Mountain? Blood mountain finally brought the views a hiker deserves after climbing a hill, and it was the only place we saw bears. We saw one heading up from Slaughter Creek and another on the way down the next day, both times they ran off like they owed us money.

Didn't see another soul on the trail or at camps except some day hikers around Woody Gap and Blood Mountain. Hurricane Fay seemed to have done nothing more than to provide some cloud cover and keep it much cooler than it could have been in August, so that was nice, though the cloud cover did take away from the sunset I'd hoped for on Blood.

All in all, good hike, thanks for all the tips!

Heater
08-27-2008, 01:41
Don't worry too much about keeping a clean campsite since just about anywhere along the beginning of the trail generations of hikers will have washed out their pots and pans and threw the food encrusted water on the ground right next to where you are going to put your tent.:)

Panzer

I hope you did not use that as an excuse to do the same!
Did you? Sure sounds like it. :-?