PDA

View Full Version : REI Jet UL daypack

TwoForty
08-13-2008, 23:46
http://media.rei.com/media/1013945.jpg

I was thinking about picking one of these up for really long day hikes and some really lightweight minimalist overnights. I was going to try another ULA pack, but Brian is gone for a while.

How are they? How much wight do you think I can cram in one with all day comfort?

I would be using an evazote pad in there for a bit more support.

jaywalke
08-14-2008, 08:19
I'm no help on the pack. I just stopped in because I read the thread title as "REI UL Jet Pack."

That, I would buy.

BookBurner
08-14-2008, 09:18
Like with other UL packs, I suspect you could carry 15-20 pounds comfortably in the Jet. Given it's volume (1800 cu.in.), however, I doubt your load would ever get that heavy. There just isn't the space for that much gear/food.

IceAge
08-14-2008, 09:31
Looks like a big brother to the Flash UL?

No experience with the Jet, but the Flash UL is a great little bag, so it's slightly bigger brother is probably pretty good. Looks well designed with the hipbelt pockets, too.

Live the Journey
08-14-2008, 11:41
The Jet UL is fantastic!! It's great for people like me...on day hikes I've got enough of everything for everyone...lots of snacks and water, and usually my chacos, rain gear etc...lots of stuff. I've also really liked it for long weekend trips off the trail, and my most favorite is for adventure travel...I took it with me to India and when I had week long trips planned outside of my basecamp (new delhi) it was the perfect size and I'd leave the bulk of my stuff in Delhi, but when I was moving everything, the Jet UL packs up super small and I'd just slide the foam framesheet in the back of my big pack....AWESOME. I don't think I usually carry more then about 15 lbs in it though

Wolf - 23000
08-16-2008, 19:32
I haven’t used the REI Jet UL but I have used the REI Flash UL (one size smaller) for long distance. I’ve used mine for about 500 miles and love it for its comfort and durability. I’ve used other light weight packs but the UL is my favorite.

Wolf

Bearpaw
08-16-2008, 20:36
For cold weather day packs or UL trips of 2 or 3 days in warmer weather, the jet is fine. The superthin pack panel only provides marginal support, but it is probably as good as a z-rest or the like. If you don't like it, you can dump it and save a couple of ounces.

I'd say max weight is realistically 15 pounds, though if you are accustomed to hiking with no hipbelt, you may get away with 20 in reasonable comfort.

As Wolf-23000 mentions, the Flash pack is a great simple piece of gear. It's my preferred day pack, and I often carry it on long-distance hikes as a stuff sack/summit pack or for town when I'm running my grocery errands.

Wise Old Owl
08-16-2008, 20:45
Hey I will just give it 5 stars as I like mine and its great, for longer periods I use the UL45 enjoy!

Topcat
08-17-2008, 07:11
I just got this pack this week (traded some old busted treking poles at rei for them..gotta love that lifetime guarantee thing). Used it yesterday and thought it was great. Passed the first test. was carrying around 15lbs on way up to where we were going no problem with load or feel

TwoForty
08-18-2008, 22:40
I tried one on in the store and it didn't fit. It was a nice pack though.