PDA

View Full Version : Inline water filter question

g8trh8tr
08-14-2008, 12:40
I have read several posts regarding inline water filters. Most if not all of them were setup with the filter attached to the "Dirty" bag and the dirty bag was hung and attached to a "Clean/Filtered" bag for a gravity type setup. My questions is can you just attach the inline filter to a bladder, fill the bladder with "dirty" water and then just suck the water through the filter and drink the filtered water on the other side? I may be overcomplicating this but wanted to know what the pros and cons were to each setup. I believe this setup will work for me because I always carry a Seattle Sports pocket bucket with me. I fill it with water once I reach camp and hang it for use around camp throughout the night and refill my bladder with whatever is left in the morning prior to stepping out. Wanted to see if I was missing something and get other folks thoughts that use this type of system. Thanks.

Alligator
08-14-2008, 13:13
Yes, you can just use one bladder. I almost took a pic of mine last night to put into another thread. I have a Sawyer attached to a Platypus bladder. You just cut into the dripline and attach. I had to use two hose barbs though because the the dripline diameter is too small for the Sawyer intake and outflow.

I do keep a one liter for in camp that I refill from the main bladder. I usually add powdered mixes to that.

g8trh8tr
08-14-2008, 16:57
Alligator..Thx for the feedback. I would like to see a pic of your setup if/when you do take a pic and post it. I just ordered the sawyer sp121, which filter do you use and do you carry any type of backup purifier? Also, how is the flow through the Sawyer filter you use? Thanks.

take-a-knee
08-14-2008, 17:06
Yes, you can just use one bladder. I almost took a pic of mine last night to put into another thread. I have a Sawyer attached to a Platypus bladder. You just cut into the dripline and attach. I had to use two hose barbs though because the the dripline diameter is too small for the Sawyer intake and outflow.

I do keep a one liter for in camp that I refill from the main bladder. I usually add powdered mixes to that.

It seems to me cross-contamination might be a problem with one bladder (dirty) only. If you got any creek water on the outside of the dirty bladder as you filled it, it could drip into your catch vessel. It seems to be the best approach would be another platy as a catch vessel, they only weigh an ounce or two.

I realize swallowing microbes is a dose-dependant thing and this likely wouldn't matter with most water sources on the AT, I just thought I'd mention it.

gearfreak
08-14-2008, 20:07
Alligator..Thx for the feedback. I would like to see a pic of your setup if/when you do take a pic and post it. I just ordered the sawyer sp121, which filter do you use and do you carry any type of backup purifier? Also, how is the flow through the Sawyer filter you use? Thanks.

Here's (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=629056&postcount=14) what you're looking for. :cool:

Alligator
08-14-2008, 21:42
Alligator..Thx for the feedback. I would like to see a pic of your setup if/when you do take a pic and post it. I just ordered the sawyer sp121, which filter do you use and do you carry any type of backup purifier? Also, how is the flow through the Sawyer filter you use? Thanks.I use this one (http://www.rei.com/product/778041) from REI. I don't have the box, and there is nothing on the filter to indicate the model. My backup is a lighter;). I timed the flow rate at 52 seconds to a liter. I only did it once:). As far as using it while hiking (inline hydration), it may be a little slower but it didn't make any noticeable difference to me.

Alligator
08-14-2008, 21:53
It seems to me cross-contamination might be a problem with one bladder (dirty) only. If you got any creek water on the outside of the dirty bladder as you filled it, it could drip into your catch vessel. It seems to be the best approach would be another platy as a catch vessel, they only weigh an ounce or two.

I realize swallowing microbes is a dose-dependant thing and this likely wouldn't matter with most water sources on the AT, I just thought I'd mention it.A catch vessel is not necessary, just convenient. But I do have a liter Platy as I mentioned. I honestly don't worry about a drip coming down and hitting the nickle sized opening on my one liter Platy:). I also never subscribed to putting the out hose into a ziplock for my pump filter either. But you can put together a system like Gearfreak's too. Or you could offset the catch vessel;).

Cons of not have a clean bladder was asked too? If you don't have something else to put your clean water into, you'll be dragging around the hydration system including the filter all night. I don't like having to do this so I have a one liter to drink from.

papa john
08-14-2008, 22:02
Another thing to watch out for is to protect your entire system from freezing. Bummer to wake up in the morning and your filter, lines and platys are are frozen solid!

Alligator
08-14-2008, 22:05
Another thing to watch out for is to protect your entire system from freezing. Bummer to wake up in the morning and your filter, lines and platys are are frozen solid!Worse, Sawyer filters are not supposed to be frozen. It can damage them and it voids the warranty.

I've had my drip line freeze though. It'll thaw out in a few minutes inside your jacket. Just be careful doing it!