PDA

View Full Version : Hammock vs. Tent Question

FritztheCat
08-14-2008, 18:14
I've been looking at shelters and am undecided on a hammock or a tent. I really like the idea of being able to hang and not having to find a flat or clear spot of ground for a tent, but what happens if you're in an area that doesn't have trees or shelters? Can a hammock be modified to use as a sort of tent?

This seems to be my one sticking point in preventing me from going hammock. I've watched a couple of videos about the AT (Trek and Walking With Freedom) and saw a couple of instances where tents were pitched on apparently flat, treeless areas.

Can you thru-hike using a hammock?

I figure the tarps that come with the hammocks (like Hennessy) could probably be staked to the ground and held upright using trekking poles but that doesn't seem to provide a whole lot of weather protection.

I really like the weight (or lack thereof) of a hammock versus a tent and have used a rope hammock for years while camping (napping, not overnight sleep) so I'm really leaning toward hanging.

I've looked over at the hammock forum and didn't see this question asked so hopefully you guys/gals/veteran hangers can share your experiences.

Thank you!!

Chatter
08-14-2008, 18:39
Since you're already familiar with hanging, it sounds like a "go". Now to decide what sort of hammock to get.

Personally, when packing for light-weight and "hiking vs. camping", I prefer the simpler hammocks, and have had success using a poncho for both raingear and a tarp for the hammock. Any small tarp doesn't offer the convenience of a larger tarp (cooking, or sitting out extended foul weather), but consider the difference in weight and try it both ways.

A couple of things to get started with hammocks, is:
(1) try out a few to hone in on your own preference of hammock/tarp combination (borrow from others or buy an inexpensive hammock, and
(2) practice, practice and more practice setting up, adjusting and packing your hammock to....how shall I say?....."to get the HANG" of it. :-?

kayak karl
08-14-2008, 18:40
I've been looking at shelters and am undecided on a hammock or a tent. I really like the idea of being able to hang and not having to find a flat or clear spot of ground for a tent, but what happens if you're in an area that doesn't have trees or shelters? Can a hammock be modified to use as a sort of tent?

This seems to be my one sticking point in preventing me from going hammock. I've watched a couple of videos about the AT (Trek and Walking With Freedom) and saw a couple of instances where tents were pitched on apparently flat, treeless areas.

I figure the tarps that come with the hammocks (like Hennessy) could probably be staked to the ground and held upright using trekking poles but that doesn't seem to provide a whole lot of weather protection.

I really like the weight (or lack thereof) of a hammock versus a tent and have used a rope hammock for years while camping (napping, not overnight sleep) so I'm really leaning toward hanging.

I've looked over at the hammock forum and didn't see this question asked so hopefully you guys/gals/veteran hangers can share your experiences.

Thank you!!
I sure hope you can thru with a hammock. i going to try it. As for being lighter? my son uses a tarp tent and comes under my weight. in winter you got the underquilt to boot!
i use a 11-10 JRB tarp. it can be set up as a tent, but WE dont do that:D

bigcranky
08-14-2008, 18:55
One can certainly use the hammock tarp as a shelter in places where there are no trees. Some tarps are better than others, of course, but a well-pitched tarp in a carefully-selected site provides excellent weather protection. It's really no different from hanging in the trees -- a hammock is really just an elevated tarp camp.

Many hikers have thru'd with a hammock.

Roughin' It
08-14-2008, 19:29
but what happens if you're in an area that doesn't have trees or shelters?... Can you thru-hike using a hammock?

I have wondered about thru-hiking with a hammock as well. I guess I will find out March 2009 when i plan to do it. But does anybody know if there are any areas with little to no trees? I mean it sounds ridiculous to ask since i know there are trees everywhere, but i share in curiosity with FritztheCat.

take-a-knee
08-14-2008, 21:52
I like my Hennessy hammock but that factory tarp sucks. If you order your hammock from Hennessy direct you can buy it sans tarp. Google Outdoor Equipment Supply/ Macat tarps and order the Deluxe or get a JRB 8X8 tarp (smaller than the Macat but quite a bit larger than the stock tarp). Check out www.hammockforums.net

take-a-knee
08-14-2008, 21:57
I have wondered about thru-hiking with a hammock as well. I guess I will find out March 2009 when i plan to do it. But does anybody know if there are any areas with little to no trees? I mean it sounds ridiculous to ask since i know there are trees everywhere, but i share in curiosity with FritztheCat.

I've only walked 20 miles in the White (NH) and there were plenty of trees where I was but up above timberline you won't be hanging but many have made it work by camping low enough and planning their miles ahead.

This summer my daughter and I had a bit of trouble finding TWO adjacent locations to hang, mainly because of undergrowth, it wouldn't be a problem earlier in the year. We made it happen though. Carry an extra tree hugger.

Tinker
08-14-2008, 22:03
Lots of trees in Georgia. Looks like there are a bunch in N.C. (I hiked to Bly Gap and turned around in '06). Plenty of trees in the Shenandoah NP, New York, and all of New England. I haven't hiked the middle states or much of the south, but, aside from the tops of the balds and the "camping prohibited" above treeline White Mountains, I imagine you can find a place to hang. I haven't had a problem yet. FWIW, you can hang a hammock from one tree and a sturdy hiking pole if you have a good ground anchor (stake, stump, or boulder). Aside from snow camping, I can't see sleeping any other way.

BookBurner
08-15-2008, 08:41
The Whites would present the only problem for hangers on a thru. But even there, a little creativity and perhaps a little extra walking should solve the problem (or just stay in the huts). Trees are everywhere along the AT.

rhjanes
08-15-2008, 09:55
"Certain" has been on the AT 2 seasons now. Hanging all the way.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?ID=248579

Her stuff from 2007, early on, had a lot of stuff about her hanging places....

IceAge
08-15-2008, 09:56
I like my Hennessy hammock but that factory tarp sucks. If you order your hammock from Hennessy direct you can buy it sans tarp. Google Outdoor Equipment Supply/ Macat tarps and order the Deluxe or get a JRB 8X8 tarp (smaller than the Macat but quite a bit larger than the stock tarp). Check out www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net)

I was just on the Hennessy site yesterday ( bought RockStar's Backpacker A-sym) and they are offering larger tarps for a lot of the models,and for the same price, you just have to specify when ordering. Looks like they have figured out that quite a few people thought the tarps were undersized.

take-a-knee
08-15-2008, 11:10
I was just on the Hennessy site yesterday ( bought RockStar's Backpacker A-sym) and they are offering larger tarps for a lot of the models,and for the same price, you just have to specify when ordering. Looks like they have figured out that quite a few people thought the tarps were undersized.

Yes, they are available but they don't have a caternary cut like a Macat. This means on a really windy night you'll lie in your hammock and listen to what sounds like a snare drum. Get a Macat, you won't regret it.

msupple
08-28-2008, 12:35

Thank you!!

Hammocks can easily be set up on the ground but hanging tents in the air can be a bit challenging. :) Here's a pic of mine in (shudder) ground mode.

Miguel

mountaineer
09-12-2008, 00:17
I thru-hiked in '05 with a hammock the whole time, and wouldn't trade it for anything.
I only had a problem a few times finding trees, and my attempt at trying to stake out the hammock with my hiking poles was far short of successful, but mostly because I rarely had to do it. On the trail really wasn't a problem finding trees, as I recall, mostly the trouble came when I was at a campground or in town in someone's yard or in a field... something out of the ordinary. But, the great thing about a thru-hike, is the next night, you are sleeping somewhere else, and there's a good chance you'll find plenty of trees. You can figure something out that will work for the one night.

Most of the people I met that year that started with a hammock but gave it up was because of the cold (I started mid-March). I was committed to my hammock because I slept so much better in it than on the ground or in a shelter, so I took the time to try different things out (I used a Hennessey Ultralite and had a Jacks-R-Better underquilt)... I was finally nice and toasty when I picked up a z-rest, and used almost every night through the hike (even in the summer).

Don't worry about finding trees on the AT - take the hammock!

sasquatch2014
09-12-2008, 01:29
I am one of the few and proud owners of a Clark North American. I have played around with setting my rig up on the ground and in non rocky areas it can be done pretty successfully. As far as having the extra underquilt I went with this model due to the fact that you don't have to carry that you have the pockets that act as insulators. You can check out how this works at their site. I have hung in mine as low as 9* with the right rated bag and my Cabelas SIP. I did go and get a much larger tarp so that I have a place to cook under or just chill in bad weather. I know that I could have a lighter set up and as far as some of the hammocks go this is heavy but if its only a few oz I figure that if I have problems its more due to the shape I'm in (or not in) than the extra weight.

FanaticFringer
09-14-2008, 09:07
I suggest heading over to http://www.jacksrbetter.com
They are pretty close to you in Yorktown, Virginia. Give them a call first and tell them FanaticFringer sent you. They will probably let you lay in their Bear Mtn. bridge hammock and check out all their cool quilts, gear.:cool:

Lyle
09-14-2008, 12:19
Yes, they are available but they don't have a caternary cut like a Macat. This means on a really windy night you'll lie in your hammock and listen to what sounds like a snare drum. Get a Macat, you won't regret it.

Speer 8X10 Cat Tarps are great too. Keeps me completely dry. Love the hammock too by the way!

Speer 8X10 Cat Tarp 14.2 oz, $99 Guy lines included
http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm

MacCat Standard: $95.00 11.8 oz (335g)
Guy line Kit: $15.00 6.0 oz (170g)
http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/products.htm

take-a-knee
09-14-2008, 14:08
Speer 8X10 Cat Tarps are great too. Keeps me completely dry. Love the hammock too by the way!

Speer 8X10 Cat Tarp 14.2 oz, $99 Guy lines included
http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm

MacCat Standard: $95.00 11.8 oz (335g)
Guy line Kit: $15.00 6.0 oz (170g)
http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/products.htm

I've not tried a Speer Tarp but I've spoken with Ed Speer on the phone, he is a nice guy, ships most things the same day. His segmented pad extender is a MUST HAVE item for any hammocker. I plan to get one of his winter tarps.

OrangeLJ
09-14-2008, 21:17
I agree; he is a really great guy. I have one of his Winter Tarps - SUPER nice - I am a huge fan; quality is excellent.

Tinker
09-14-2008, 21:32
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/237103382ByZIeG

I experimented with hammocks in various combinations with bags as above and settled on a REI basic hammock which I bought this spring for $17.93 (or something) wrapped in a Golite Feather-lite long regular bag. I encased the setup in an Eagle's Nest Outfitters bug net and used that combination with a large (10x12) Equinox tarp to do the Hundred Mile Wilderness the past week and a half. I was never cold, though I had to close off the ends of the tarp one windy night when the temps were in the low 40's, and, though the weather was excellent except for the day the remnant of one of the hurricanes came through (I stayed at the Whitehouse Landing that night, and it poured buckets), I feel as if I could have cooked underneath it if necessary and could certainly have sheltered one or two other hikers with me (I met several extraordinarily underequipped hikers who just lucked out because of the nice weather). At just over 4 lbs, It wasn't the lightest hammock outfit I could have taken, but that includes the weight of the sleeping bag and the imaginary sleeping pad that ground dwellers deal with in their world.

sasquatch2014
09-14-2008, 21:47
At only 4 Lbs that means you can pack more clothes than just your Barbra Eden outfit.;)