PDA

View Full Version : Any luck with this sleeping bag?

Roughin' It
08-14-2008, 19:41
Hello,

I was wanting to know if anyone has or has used the Big Agnes Crater 15 degree down sleeping bag. here is the link to it: http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/BAG0168/Big-Agnes-Crater-Sleeping-Bag-15-Degree-Down.html
It doesn't have bottom insulation, rather it has a slot for a sleeping pad.
I was also wondering if anyone recommends this system of bag w/pad while thru-hammocking the AT?

concerns/comments/alternatives...

kayak karl
08-14-2008, 20:02
Hello,

I was wanting to know if anyone has or has used the Big Agnes Crater 15 degree down sleeping bag. here is the link to it: http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/BAG0168/Big-Agnes-Crater-Sleeping-Bag-15-Degree-Down.html
It doesn't have bottom insulation, rather it has a slot for a sleeping pad.
I was also wondering if anyone recommends this system of bag w/pad while thru-hammocking the AT?

concerns/comments/alternatives...
i have a 40 degree from them. my son loves it, i hate it. i toss and turn too much when on the ground. BUT quality and price i like. to each their own. Got mine from Campmor.

kayak karl
08-14-2008, 20:09
i have a 40 degree from them. my son loves it, i hate it. i toss and turn too much when on the ground. BUT quality and price i like. to each their own. Got mine from Campmor.
just saw you said hammocking.:) good luck. i hated it on the ground, in a hammock, i dont even know how i would get in it, out of it, keep pad under me, down on top :D:D:Dcheck out under and top quilts:)

rpenczek
08-15-2008, 09:38
I have two Big Agnes bags, a 15 degree down and a 50 degree syn. I use a BA 15 degree insulated air core pad with both. I am a big guy 300 LBs and the extra room BA bags give is great, also, I am a side sleeper, so the air core pad is great.

The temp ratings on both bags are conservative (for me, I am a warm sleeper). I am comfortable in my 15 degree bag in the single digits and in the 50 degree bag in the low to mid 40's sleeping in my shorts and a t-shirt. Adding real sleeping cloths takes both bags down about another 10 degrees.

I am not sure why or how, but Backcountry carries BA gear that is not on BA's web site. Of course, the stuff at Backcountry is inexpesive (compared). You should note that I purchased 3 BA Muddy Slide tents from Backcountry for my Scout Troop. This model is not sold on BA's site and I question the quality (perhaps its a cheeper quality they sell in other countries). Anyway, the clear plastic window on the fly is cracking and splitting with only a five nights use.

If you are really interested in BA's gear, check their web site and purchase direct from BA or from REI or Campmor (they have sales) of their better quality (my opinion) gear rather than purchasing the lesser quality models from Backcountry.

Good luck