PDA

View Full Version : A diet to make a thru-hiker jealous

Marta
08-15-2008, 09:26
The lad can really chow down:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Michael-Phelps?urn=oly,100671

Two Speed
08-15-2008, 09:59
Yeah, but he better taper off right quick when he stops training.

Bob S
08-15-2008, 11:19
If I ate that much I would explode.

sheepdog
08-15-2008, 11:26
If he comes over for Thanksgiving, you better cook an extra turkey!

Freeleo
08-15-2008, 11:26
If I ate that much I would explode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlfcF1I5e_g

Blissful
08-15-2008, 11:44
I know I couldn't believe what the kid ate, just for swimming in a pool 5 hrs a day. Unbelievable.

humunuku
08-15-2008, 12:32
i find it hard to believe that he consumes more calories per day than tour de france riders do (and they ride 6 hours every day for three weeks)...i'd guess he has eaten that much, but not a every day thing

Farr Away
08-15-2008, 12:41
Swimming burns a _lot_ of calories; it's a whole body workout.

take-a-knee
08-15-2008, 14:40
Swimming burns a _lot_ of calories; it's a whole body workout.

Not only that, the water sucks heat from your body and therby induces thermogenesis (heat production).

Marta
08-15-2008, 14:49
The other thing about swimmers is that they're usually a whole lot bigger than most professional cyclists. I'd be interested to know how tall he is, and how much he weighs. (But not interested enough to look it up now.)

Freeleo
08-15-2008, 15:00
http://www.netglimse.com/celebs/pages/michael_phelps/index.shtml

Name :Michael PhelpsBirth date : June 30, 1985 Birth place : Baltimore, MD, USA Height : 6 ft. 3in. (193 cm) Weight : 88 kg Feet size : 14 Arm span : 200 cm Sport : Swimming Team / club : North Baltimore AC Best Known As : Eight-time medalist at the 2004 Olympics

The Solemates
08-15-2008, 15:24
http://www.netglimse.com/celebs/pages/michael_phelps/index.shtml

Name :Michael PhelpsBirth date : June 30, 1985 Birth place : Baltimore, MD, USA Height : 6 ft. 3in. (193 cm) Weight : 88 kg Feet size : 14 Arm span : 200 cm Sport : Swimming Team / club : North Baltimore AC Best Known As : Eight-time medalist at the 2004 Olympics

88 kg = 194

that is actually a low weight for someone of that height (6'3") and muscularity. at only 194 lbs, i can understand why he would say he has trouble keeping weight on. he has no butt, no waist (32inch!!) and small legs. he really has a weird body, but perfectly suited for swimming

in contrast, im 6'4", 35 inch waist, but weigh 210 and may have a lower fat percentage than phelps does.

Freeleo
08-15-2008, 16:07
88 kg = 194

that is actually a low weight for someone of that height (6'3") and muscularity. at only 194 lbs, i can understand why he would say he has trouble keeping weight on. he has no butt, no waist (32inch!!) and small legs. he really has a weird body, but perfectly suited for swimming

in contrast, im 6'4", 35 inch waist, but weigh 210 and may have a lower fat percentage than phelps does.

that is a picture from the last olympics...he started lifting weights after 2004 i believe

he has exceptionally short legs and a long torso which could account for the weight/height ratio

he is no doubt the most talented athelete in the history of sports to date to be doing what he is doing

not sure what to think of the new suits though.....it is dumbfounding all the world records being shattered and how many swimmers per race are finishing under the old records

BTW everyone should swim as much as they can it is great for your mind body and soul

mark.k.watson
08-27-2008, 22:48
I think the chlorine he absorbs from the hours in the pool actually feeds off the food, so a good 2,000 calories go straight to the chlorine.

Flush2wice
08-27-2008, 23:13
I think the chlorine he absorbs from the hours in the pool actually feeds off the food, so a good 2,000 calories go straight to the chlorine.
Not to mention that Chinese chlorine has lead in it so it probably burns even more calories.

fiddlehead
08-27-2008, 23:16
Yeah, but he better taper off right quick when he stops training.
Reminds me of a story from my thru in '91.

Was hiking with "Just Harry" and he hiked the AT many times.

When we were at a Burger King somewhere in Maine (or northern NH) I was with him when he ate 8 whoppers!

A few weeks later, we finished our hike and my sister who lives in Maine picked us up and on the way home, she asked what we would like to eat: i said Burger King (knowing how my Just Harry liked them)
When we got to order, he said: "i'll have a salad"

I looked at him sort of funny and he said: "you have to stop eating like that right away"

It was one of the strongest examples of will power i have ever seen.

bigboots
08-27-2008, 23:21

So that means if I sit in a pool for 30 hours a week and don't move while I'm in there I will shed 2,000 calories without moving a muscle. I just found my new workout routine!

Homer&Marje
08-28-2008, 07:35
i find it hard to believe that he consumes more calories per day than tour de france riders do (and they ride 6 hours every day for three weeks)...i'd guess he has eaten that much, but not a every day thing

Not only that, the water sucks heat from your body and therby induces thermogenesis (heat production).

Swimmers burn so many more calories than tour riders. Not to mention those guys barely eat real food, just energy gels for 3 weeks, how healthy is that after a few years of training. Phelps's diet sounds about right, he could do a little better selection but other than that he has protein, carbs, sugar, and salts. Sounds about like a good trail diet.

And yes, those olympic pools aren't heated to 83 F like your backyard pool in the summer, they run those pools at about 68 F - 70 F. Sounds balmy but the average person (especially with low fat content) and no heat production will simply go hypothermic, causes stiff muscles, pain, and lack of production. Kid is the nuclear reactor of swimming.

NICKTHEGREEK
08-28-2008, 08:36
Not to mention that Chinese chlorine has lead in it so it probably burns even more calories.
Anything they put in the water in China has to be an improvement.;)

Monkeywrench
08-28-2008, 08:40
Swimmers burn so many more calories than tour riders. Not to mention those guys barely eat real food, just energy gels for 3 weeks, how healthy is that after a few years of training.

Not quite. Tour riders eat pasta and steak for breakfast!