PDA

View Full Version : "must see" spots on AT in GSMNP

vibedog
08-15-2008, 14:30
guys, can you give your personal lists of places on the AT that you must see in the park? (overlooks, etc, water falls, etc)

The Solemates
08-15-2008, 14:39
the whole AT should not be missed, esp the section from Clingmans to pecks
Mt Cammerer side trail
the Boulevard trail up to Mt LeConte
the Rainbow Falls Trail
Cades Cove

now that I think of it....all 900 miles of the smokies should not be missed!!
http://members.aol.com/gs900miler/

i would certainly hike all 900 if i lived closer

Roots
08-15-2008, 14:47
The part I loved the most was going over Rocky Top and through the Spence Field area. Rocky top is absolutely beautiful, IMO.

The Solemates
08-15-2008, 15:15
The part I loved the most was going over Rocky Top and through the Spence Field area. Rocky top is absolutely beautiful, IMO.

agreed! add that to the list!

ive done about 500 miles of the smokies trails....there isnt one trail i dont think should be missed!

leeki pole
08-15-2008, 15:38
For a great dayhike that includes the AT and Cades Cove, take Bote Mountain Trail from the parking lot at the campground up to the AT, go north to Rocky Top and Thunderhead, back to Spence Field shelter for lunch, head south to Russell Field shelter for a rest and a snack, then back down Russell Field trail to Cades Cove. If memory serves, it's about 15 miles but you can see quite a bit in a day. The family can visit Cades Cove if they're not hikers and pick you up at the campground, hopefully with hot dogs and burgers grilling!

vibedog
08-15-2008, 15:48
we are allowing 7 to 8 days for the trip. should that be enough?

humunuku
08-15-2008, 18:35
Go over to Gregory Bald too, its a little ways off the AT

Jim Adams
08-15-2008, 19:58
If you have 7-8 days and are in decent condition, try the entire AT thru the park. You will stay up high, have some great views at some point because the weather probably won't be bad for a week solid. In the future you can piece together all of the other trails connecting to the AT.
Just an idea.

geek

maxpatch67
02-17-2009, 01:53
Go east past Charlies Bunion and take a side trail to the left up a grassy clearing to a quiet, most beutiful view. Its similar to the Bunion, but without the crowds. You'll have solitude and there is nice rock to hang out on directly down through the bushes just off the summit up there.

maxpatch67
02-17-2009, 01:55
Shuckstack tower has an AWSOME view!!! It may be the best view in the park.

Sly
02-17-2009, 02:23

Sounds like you're nerd enough to sing the song while you're up there. :p

Hikes in Rain
02-17-2009, 07:05
Hey! Uh....I thought it was a tradition. (Yeah, that's it, they'll buy that one)

Doctari
02-17-2009, 12:37

For TWO DAYS before I crossed rocky top, that d*** song was in my head. AND as I do not listen to country, all I knew was about 20 words: over & over & over & over etc. :eek:

BUT, once I got there the views were worth the pain. :D

Nearly Normal
02-17-2009, 12:41
:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

HikerMan36
02-17-2009, 12:53
Mt. Cammerer's watch tower is a great spot for lunch with a view.

Plodderman
02-17-2009, 15:29
Rocky Top, Spence Field, Clingmans Dome, Shuckstack and many more. We did the GSMP in 5 days and there are many great views.

snowhoe
02-17-2009, 17:07
Go east past Charlies Bunion and take a side trail to the left up a grassy clearing to a quiet, most beutiful view. Its similar to the Bunion, but without the crowds. You'll have solitude and there is nice rock to hang out on directly down through the bushes just off the summit up there.

That was one of the best highlights in GSMNP.

robb
09-17-2009, 14:12
Ditto on Clingmans

Mocs123
09-17-2009, 14:19
My favorite views on the AT in GSMNP:

Shuckstack
Rocky Top
Clingmans Dome
The Jumpoff (on the Boulevard Trail just off the AT)
Charlies Bunion
The Sawteeth
Mt Cammerer (my personal favorite in GSMNP)

beas
09-17-2009, 21:53
sounds Like You're Nerd Enough To Sing The Song While You're Up There. :p
Easy There Fella, You Know Most Of Us Bleed Orange Down Here.

pafarmboy
09-17-2009, 22:00
If you have to pick a part of the AT through GSMNP, Charlie's Bunion to Peck's Corner is the best of the best.

Mocs123
09-17-2009, 23:40
Easy There Fella, You Know Most Of Us Bleed Orange Down Here.

Not all of us.

Gray Blazer
09-18-2009, 07:46

I don't think we'll be hearing that too much in Gainesville tomorrow.:sun

JoshStover
10-29-2009, 06:10
If you have to pick a part of the AT through GSMNP, Charlie's Bunion to Peck's Corner is the best of the best.
I agree. i just did this section about a week ago and it was great! Got some snow and it was BEAUTIFUL!!!

I will be passing up the Bunion the next time Im through this section cuz it is always crowded and I have never ran into anyone at the place you are talking about. Is there a name for this place or anything? I have never seen it on a map or anything.

Not Sunshine
10-29-2009, 07:13
speaking of GSMSP - i've heard there are wild boar in the area and i'd wager that they're just as dangerous, if not more, than bears...

do they attack/approach hikers? is noise going to send them squeeling with their tails between their legs or aggravate them?

winland
10-29-2009, 07:21
Smak ... Yep, the wild boar are there and are more dangerous than the bears. They like to use the trails but are most active at night.
Noise will typically get them to retreat enough to pass by. Thankfully, I have not heard of them approaching camp sites.
Another hiking "caution" but not a "worry."

JoshStover
10-29-2009, 20:12
I ran into a 300+ lbs boar in the Smokies last week. It was only about .5 miles from the Kephart shelter. The darn thing ran down the hill and stopped in the trail right in front of me and lowered it's head like it was going to charge. As soon as I aimed my Pepper Spray at it the thing took of faster than any animal I have ever seen. I have to say that this was the most scared I have ever been while hiking. I told one of the people working in the Sugarlands VC about it and they said they will be trying to trap it or shoot it. Id hate to see them have to kill it but they need to do something. That thing had the ground torn up so bad it was crazy.

earlyriser26
10-29-2009, 20:32
Shuckstack, Charlie's Bunion (side trail, not AT), Rocky Top (home sweet home to me)

Ramble~On
10-29-2009, 23:29
Wow..only one person has mentioned the Sawteeth so far! I'll be the second.
Thunderhead/Rocky Top, Clingman's if it's clear, Spence Field and Mt. Cammerer.
The Jumpoff (short side trail)

Not on the AT but short hike from Clingman's Dome...Andrew's Bald.:sun

gollwoods
10-30-2009, 19:30
I ran into a 300+ lbs boar in the Smokies last week. It was only about .5 miles from the Kephart shelter. The darn thing ran down the hill and stopped in the trail right in front of me and lowered it's head like it was going to charge. As soon as I aimed my Pepper Spray at it the thing took of faster than any animal I have ever seen. I have to say that this was the most scared I have ever been while hiking. I told one of the people working in the Sugarlands VC about it and they said they will be trying to trap it or shoot it. Id hate to see them have to kill it but they need to do something. That thing had the ground torn up so bad it was crazy.
I have heard them at night in camp site 13 which is huge. very noisy very violent sounding but harmless.

mdbuckman
08-23-2010, 17:57
You guys are making my itch to pack up and get into the woods.... :)

Ox97GaMe
08-24-2010, 22:12
First.. there are exactly ZERO waterfall on the AT. As for views on the AT, you have a pretty comprehensive list from the postings, other that Siler's Bald.

If you are interested in taking some side trips off the AT to get some views, then here are some options.

a) Side trip over to Gregory Bald. Get great views across Cades Cove and back toward Fontana. But it is 4 miles each way from the AT at Doe Knob. And camping on Gregory (#13) is probably the best option.
b) Side trip over to Andrews Bald and Forney Creek Cascades. This can also include a little known side trail over to an old abandoned steam locomotive (just off Forney Creek Trail).
c) if you arent absolutely set on hiking all the AT through the park, get off at TriCorner and head over toward Balsam Mtn. Go down Gunter Creek Trail and down to #37 and out on Big Creek Trail. You will get in 2 nice waterfalls, a couple nice swimming holes, and #37 is one of my favorite campsites in the park. The downside is that you miss Mt Cammerer Fire Tower, which is one of the nicer overlooks in the park.

scottakus
08-25-2010, 01:14
My favorites:
Andrew's Bald. Not too far off the AT
Ramsey Cascades. Near Gatlinburg area
Rainbow Falls/ Grotto falls (Trillium Gap trail)
Alum Cave trail up to Mt. LeConte
Cades Cove is a must!
and Chimney Tops

Sir-Packs-Alot
03-07-2011, 04:16
The .6 mile side trail to the Mt. Cammerer lookout tower is my vote. Since the "Friends of the Smokies" restored the tower - I actually use this location as a gauge to figure out what type of hike someone's hiking (taking in the best views even on a side trail) or the miles being everything! TAKE IT ALL IN !

takethisbread
03-07-2011, 18:19
Charlies Bunion is good but its ho hum compared to

Katahdin or
All of The White Mountains!! or
Most of Maine.

south i liked McAfee's Knob
also Shenandoah is nice

NerdyJohn
03-07-2011, 23:14
Be sure and take a zero day and go to Gatlinburg. Stay at the Gatlinburg Inn and ask the Civil War era widow that owns the place to let you stay in the room that "Rocky Top" was written in. At check out, take a picture of yourself next to the plaque of "Rocky Top" in the room, ride the chair lift one last time, and then grab some cotton candy and a Thomas Kinkade limited edition print on the way back to the AT.
After that, I promise you, ANY part of the AT will be a must see, a can't miss, etc., from that point on. You will not be able to get back on the trail fast enough...
Enjoy the Smokies!!!!

jduncan7998
11-29-2011, 01:26
Did you start at Fontana Dam? What month did you thru-hiike the park? I am planning a thru-hike in mid-december of 5 full days of hiking. Thanks. John

MyName1sMud
04-02-2012, 10:09

gooooooooodddd oldddddddddd rocky top!

Astro
04-02-2012, 10:17
In addition to the great views, Rocky Top is the only part of the GSMNP I was able to get cell phone (Verizion) reception.