PDA

View Full Version : Aqua-Mira and long term usage

DapperD
08-15-2008, 19:18
I was wondering from those who have used this product long term,i.e. thru-hiking if they felt it is perfectly safe, as Aqua-Mira claims similar chemicals are used by a lot of water treatment facilities to treat municipal water sources.:-? Thanks

Jim Adams
08-15-2008, 19:52
I used aqua mira for 6 months straight. Taste was fine and I suffered no effects.
I used aqua mira for 6 months straight. Taste was fine and I suffered no effects.
I used aqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

geek

Egads
08-15-2008, 19:57
I've experienced no serious adverse affects, but, chlorine dioxide is a toxic substance and must be used according to manufacturer's directions, else you'll end up like Jim Adams.

DapperD
08-15-2008, 20:00

geekI guess Katadyn MP1 tablets would be out of the question!;)

Jaybird62
08-15-2008, 20:06

geek

Heeeheeeeeheeeeheeeeeheeeeeee:D:p:eek:;)

Egads
08-15-2008, 20:06
Why use Katadyn MP1 tablets with a 4 hour delay when you can get a buzz with Aqua Mira in just 20 minutes?:D

Jim Adams
08-15-2008, 21:26

geek

Just kidding but then again, I like the taste of iodine.:-?

geek

Blissful
08-15-2008, 21:51
We lived to tell the tale after six months...

:)

Footslogger
08-15-2008, 23:05
I was wondering from those who have used this product long term,i.e. thru-hiking if they felt it is perfectly safe, as Aqua-Mira claims similar chemicals are used by a lot of water treatment facilities to treat municipal water sources.:-? Thanks
==========================

I used Aqua Mira exclusively on my 2003 thru. No problems to date.

'Slogger

Rifleman
08-15-2008, 23:44

Why don't you do a study? Then you'll be the goto authority.:banana
R.

DapperD
08-16-2008, 07:36
R. I am interested to know this mainly because I plan to start a thru-hike somewhat like early March, and I plan to use this to treat my water with till it warms up more, than I may switch to a ceramic filter that I bought or just continue on using the chlorine dioxide.

Tin Man
08-16-2008, 07:45
==========================

I used Aqua Mira exclusively on my 2003 thru. No problems to date.

'Slogger

Just a minor heart event? :eek:

Aqua Mira ages you and grows hair out your ears. Use a filter on the questionable H2o sources.

Panzer1
08-17-2008, 03:16
It just Chlorine Dioxide. Sounds safe to me. But I use the Iodine pills myself.

Panzer

sasquatch2014
08-17-2008, 11:42
Which ever you choose to do is really a matter of choice but for the love of God don't put it in a Nalgene bottle or you will surely DIE!:eek:

JAK
08-17-2008, 14:21
Aqua Mira is probably way better for you that coke and pepsi. Then again, Nalgene bottles are probably way better for you that coke and pepsi. Just don't drink coke or pepsi, or any of that other crap. It would be interesting to see a progressive scale of healthiness vs unhealthiness of all of this stuff, including plain old water.

Sidewinder
08-17-2008, 19:13
I am interested to know this mainly because I plan to start a thru-hike somewhat like early March, and I plan to use this to treat my water with till it warms up more, than I may switch to a ceramic filter that I bought or just continue on using the chlorine dioxide.

Why would you switch?

EarlyBird2007
08-17-2008, 19:31
I used it exclusively for 5 months + on my 2007 thru with no ill effects. I think it is close to tasteless in water, through to be honest I'm not that picky about the taste of water.

Footslogger
08-17-2008, 21:06
Just a minor heart event? :eek:

Aqua Mira ages you and grows hair out your ears. Use a filter on the questionable H2o sources.

=================================

That's a bunch of HOOEY and you know it. Take all the shots at me that you want ...AquaMira is a good product.

'Slogger

buff_jeff
08-17-2008, 22:19
I used it for 2 months this summer and the only adverse effect that I've encountered is this third eye that I now have on my forehead.:banana

Tin Man
08-18-2008, 07:14
=================================

That's a bunch of HOOEY and you know it. Take all the shots at me that you want ...AquaMira is a good product.

'Slogger

Sorry 'Slogger. Wasn't taking a shot at you or aquamira. Just my poor attempt at humor while naming my preference for filtering. Peace man. :sun

stranger
08-18-2008, 22:12
I've used Aqua Mira exclusively for the past 7 years, on every single trip, and used it for about 7 weeks straight this past spring. I've never really noticed the taste (unless maybe you are in town for a few days then use it) and it's faster than iodine, faster and easier than filtering, not that expensive, and efficient. I only used two sets of AM between Springer and Atkins Virginia.

And Yes...it's kills giardia - just not according to the FDA/EPA, but it works for giardia in the rest of the world!

gonewalkabout
08-31-2008, 21:06
I used Aqua Mira on the LT for 20 plus days in 04 and on the wonderland trail and many shorter trips for the past 4 years. No problems. I too am planning on using it in 09 for my NOBO.

Although the label says 20 mins note that that is only for taste! They don't calm it kills anything since they did not have it certifiled by the FDA. I only assume it works since it is chorline dixocide as used for water treatment. It will have a simuliar wait time as the Katadyn or MSR pills when water is cold say 40 F. Probaly 4 hours. I never waited more than an hour. Iodine also has a longer wait time for cold water.

Note: The CDC warns against using iodine for more than afew weeks. Last I checked 4 or 5 years ago they said a week. http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/contentWaterTreatment.aspx
I know many have used it for the whole trail.

Gonewalkabout

adventurousmtnlvr
08-31-2008, 21:19

I just posted on my thread called: "anyone used the steripen that has an opinion" a long document from the Dept. of the Army on all types of water purifiers and their results with charts ... fyi

adventurousmtnlvr
08-31-2008, 21:36
forgot the link so here it is ... it has the answer to this question in their opinion ...
Dept of the Army water purification doc. (http://usachppm.apgea.army.mil/wpd/pdfdocs/finalreport.pdf)

hopefulhiker
08-31-2008, 22:02
I used Aqua Mira for six months on the trail.. I actually liked it...

Blue Jay
09-01-2008, 08:34
R.

Exactly. You can be a guinea it you want to, it might cause long term harm, it may be completely safe. Do you wish to do a blind experiment on yourself to save weight?

Wise Old Owl
09-01-2008, 09:27
Ohh THATs why I have hair growing out of my ears!

adventurousmtnlvr
09-01-2008, 11:47
Ohh THATs why I have hair growing out of my ears!

gee, and I thought it was because you were an owl ... oh silly me, lol

Lawn Sale
09-05-2008, 00:55
We used Chlorine Dioxide in our municipal water treatment plant for years and there was never a problem.

We switched to Chloramines because Chlorine Dioxide is so unstable, but it works really well and you don't need as much of it.

Appalachian Tater
09-05-2008, 15:34
It is much preferred to iodine for long term use.

gonewalkabout
09-07-2008, 21:58
More and more city water systems are using Chlorine Dioxide now although it does cost more than chlorine. The question is how does the amount used in treating water per directions vary from the amonut used by your water system?

Hooch
09-07-2008, 22:01
More and more city water systems are using Chlorine Dioxide now although it does cost more than chlorine. The question is how does the amount used in treating water per directions vary from the amonut used by your water system?I'd be willing to bet that the city uses is a larger amount. :D A lot larger.