PDA

View Full Version : books, maps ?

Pickleodeon
08-16-2008, 09:23
I know there is a huge debate on books, the data book, the companion, the Appalachian pages, the handbook. If I take one of these books, it is wise to also take a map? I'm not exactly the most map-savvy person. Are there specific sections that maps are necessary and some that are not necessary? And again, what book do you prefer to carry? I know I'll probably open a can of worms, but I would like opinions.

Pickleodeon
08-16-2008, 09:30
Also, what maps are the best? Can I pare them down, like some people trim things off.

fiddlehead
08-16-2008, 09:31
Yeah, Worms!

Lots of debate over the years. I really think it's best if you just read some of the other threads rather than get us all up and arguing the point again.
Some like to carry as much info as possible.
Others like to go with the trail and leave the anxiety and expectations at home.

Personally I think.....................nah. I'm not gonna do it.

emerald
08-16-2008, 10:03
I don't feel a need to go down this path again. It is a well-travelled path where I have been before. Wasn't I just here a few days ago?

The recent map thread entitled I might not hike with a map (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40042) was about as good as any.

Perhaps someone will recall, recommend and link a thread comparing the various handbooks for you. They all strike me as satisfactory.

The map question involves a more important decision and could potentially make a bigger difference in your hike.

It's all within walking distance if you have the time. I could walk to Leesport before sundown if I wanted to today.

Lyle
08-16-2008, 10:14
Man, restraint rules the day here (so far at least). I'll follow suit.

Guidebooks: personal preference as to layout, and "extra information". All have the "basic" information needed.

Maps: personal preference. Pros and Cons covered very well in other threads. I'll second the suggested thread that Shades of Gray gave above.

Lyle
08-16-2008, 10:17
Also, what maps are the best? Can I pare them down, like some people trim things off.

ATC maps are the most current and efficient for the trail. You can always cut the margins off, or just cut out the AT portion, but, depending on how far you go with this, you will be reducing or eliminating the advantage of carrying a map in the first place - knowing what the surrounding area offers.

Tin Man
08-16-2008, 10:23
what controversy? :)

for guide books you may want to check out the one available from trailplace.com site owner, bob mccaw, personally visited each trail town to update the 2008 edition and his book may contain the most accurate town info. don't know what his plans are for 2009 version.

take-a-knee
08-16-2008, 10:27
I know there is a huge debate on books, the data book, the companion, the Appalachian pages, the handbook. If I take one of these books, it is wise to also take a map? I'm not exactly the most map-savvy person. Are there specific sections that maps are necessary and some that are not necessary? And again, what book do you prefer to carry? I know I'll probably open a can of worms, but I would like opinions.

You need some sort of data book for logistical planning, IE water sources, resupply etc. You'll need a map to remain "ground oriented", IE know where the hell you are, and what is around you. You'll also need a compass to orient the map to the surrounding terrain. To effectively use these you'll have to remedy your lack of "map savvy". I suggest Bjorn Kellstrom's book BE AN EXPERT WITH MAP & COMPASS.

Pickleodeon
08-16-2008, 10:28
I know, I know, I read the other post already. Thanks for re-answering.

Monkeywrench
08-16-2008, 15:53
Maps are just so beautiful and so much fun, how could you leave them home?!

DapperD
08-16-2008, 18:05
From what I have learned, and in my opinion, the maps are a need to have. Don't sacrifice when it comes to your safety and welfare. Buy the maps from the ATC, they go on sale every fall. You don't have to buy the guide books unless you want to, you can buy all the maps seperately, in one bundle. Have someone mail drop them to you, maybe 2 states at a time. If you want the guidebooks too, the maps are included with them. Carry an up to date(current year you plan to hike) data book from the ATC, and for x-tra knowledge, if you don't mind the weight, the ATC Companion. Remember this is only an opinion, as I have yet to thru-hike, but the maps and data book is what I plan to take, you may want to carry more or less, everyone is different. Just remember, if you don't have something you need, it can't help you.

emerald
08-16-2008, 19:17
Perhaps someone will recall, recommend and link a thread comparing the various handbooks for you.

Just so everyone knows, I PMed links to all the guidebooks this morning with other related information. It didn't take long for them to reach Leesport where they have already been read.

Pickleodeon
08-17-2008, 15:38
thanks so much everyone.