PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable energy

Wise Old Owl
08-16-2008, 20:24
4 legs vs 2 legs... No comparison, After weeks of prep in a nearby large park of keeping my 70 lbs lab tethered and on the "left" and getting him to ignore other dogs on a five mile loop. Today I put him on a heavy duty big dog retractable. Jumped on a mountain bike and worked the loop at Rugby's idea of a pace instead of mine.... 7-10 miles per hour and very sustained power. My dog loves hiking, but this new challange should tucker him out. That was four hours ago. After dinner, there was new found energy. He is bounding up & down like "Tigger" of Disney. Now I am wondering how much excercise we both need.... needless to say we will be back out tomorrow.

Jager
08-16-2008, 23:48
Now I am wondering how much excercise we both need

I hear ya...I've got a Retriever/Husky Cross who seems to have a recuperation time after strenuous activity of SFA....

SteveJ
08-17-2008, 00:02
chuckle....Phoebe will be 7 next month - she's slowing down....after a backpacking trip, she lays around for a week.....

Rouen
08-17-2008, 00:32
I bike with my dogs daily, my 33lb male, who's part lab, can sustain a 10-16 mph pace, while pulling me and the bike, for 10 miles, after that he slows to a jog occasionally speeding up to race with other bikers, my 28lb female prefers a jog pace, about 5-7 mph, she has endless energy. the male will crash for 30 mins or so after a 12 mile run, then he's ready to run again.
my mal is like a husky at the start of the iditarod when he's hooked up to the rig.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v215/rouenduck/Dingo/?action=view&current=MVI_1611.flv

ct1974rlw
08-19-2008, 16:13
Darn! Can you bottle some of that energy for me? I'll gladly pay top dollar for it-I need it for my male shepherd who lately thinks a "hike" is something you do when you get off the couch and go over to the food bowl.....

Wise Old Owl
10-05-2008, 12:18
Today I discovered I can lock the retractable now and he will pull me if there is another dog ahead and traveling the same direction! I see smoke from the break pads.