PDA

View Full Version : Toenail Fungus

earlylight
08-16-2008, 21:16
I think I have a toenail fungus on one of my toes. The nail has been growing back abnormally for about two years after getting black and falling off. It's gotten really thick, but yellow and crumbly. As far as I can tell these are all symptoms.

What's the cure? How long does it take?

thx,

orangebug
08-16-2008, 21:39
See a real world doc before following up on anyone's advice. Your age, medical history and other medications might make a big difference.

Some would suggest an oral antifungal drug that treats your entire body. It would take months and be fairly expensive. You will want to decontaminate all of your shoes and other footwear with antifungal sprays, or consider replacing shoes and socks.

Others would have you use topical antifungal agents that attempt to treat at the point of the infection. You still would have to make choices about how to deal with your footwear. It will still take months, as you aren't somewhat cured until the toenail grows out without signs of infection.

You still will have the fungal infection, just less obvious. It is part of living.

bigmac_in
08-16-2008, 21:59
I'm not going to go against the "see a doctor" advice, but if it were me I'd smear some Vick's Vapo-rub on it. I had heard this worked, but was skeptical. My sister used it and she says it definately works on toenail fungus. Really, what's it going to hurt?

Skidsteer
08-16-2008, 22:06
I'm not going to go against the "see a doctor" advice, but if it were me I'd smear some Vick's Vapo-rub on it. I had heard this worked, but was skeptical. My sister used it and she says it definately works on toenail fungus. Really, what's it going to hurt?

Vick's vapo-rub?

:D

modiyooch
08-16-2008, 22:20
I would go hiking, kick another rock and lose that toenail.

I lose toenails every year. Currently I have good ole Maine mud between my nail and skin. I'm afraid it may get infected. I may lose the nail and then I won't have to worry about the mud.

Footslogger
08-16-2008, 22:47
I think I have a toenail fungus on one of my toes. The nail has been growing back abnormally for about two years after getting black and falling off. It's gotten really thick, but yellow and crumbly. As far as I can tell these are all symptoms.

thx,
===========================

Had one under my big toenai several years ago ...actually, right after my thru in 2003

Used the overcounter stuff. Kept the nail short and used a needle/syringe to inject the antifungal agent well under the nail twice a day. It was at least 3 months before I began to see a difference. Little by little the nail grew back in without the yellowness. All better now.

'Slogger

daibutsu
08-16-2008, 23:31
stand in bleach, I'm not a doctor, nor play one on TV.

mixinmaster
08-17-2008, 09:15
Try Lotriman(?), the over-the-counter cream for Athletes Foot and Jock Itch. It worked for me on bar rot that was ongoing for over 6 or 7 years. I had several doctor visits during those years, and none worked. Not the internal medication nor the expensive prescription cream. You smear it in anytime you get the chance.
Or, you could do what I did, had both big toenails removed for good. I had the exact symptoms you described, one toe at a time. They might have a better way now, but back then (20-25 years ago) they removed the nail and went in and scraped the bone. The bone scraping is what keeps it from growing back. It's not as bad as one might think, painwise. Just throbs some if I remember correctly.

oldfivetango
08-17-2008, 09:22
What about plain old brush on solution sold at EVERY
pharmacy called Funginex? Worked effectively for me.

Anyone ever die from TNF or are there repurcussions other than
unsightlyness of which I may be unaware?
Oldfivetango

orangebug
08-17-2008, 11:18
No one dies of TNF. It is unsightly and turns of any foot fetishist that you may meet.

Personally, I'd try the OTC fungicide before going either systemic (pills) or surgical.

mixinmaster
08-17-2008, 11:23
Anyone ever die from TNF or are there repurcussions other than
unsightlyness of which I may be unaware?
Oldfivetango

Don't think there are any deaths thus far......... But, it creates pain when under pressure...... Like wearing shoes, boots........ At least it did with me. It got to where the nail wasn't flat against the toe, and would be thick and biting down on the edges. Sharp pains when bumping it. If someone stepped on it, LOOK OUT!:eek:

mixinmaster
08-17-2008, 11:29
Lotriman is much cheaper than the fungus cream, and works the same.... If it doesn't work and can't get to the real problem, which is deep and beyond the nail, then I don't think the OTC cream would of worked either. And I would try them before doing the surgery. Although the surgery ain't a biggie. Be aware, any attempt with a cream would very likely take a long time of good, regular treatment with no slacking..

earlylight
08-17-2008, 23:04
oh, this is going to be fun.

rhjanes
08-18-2008, 10:17
While visiting my pediatrist (foot doctor) for my first set of orthotics, he noted some TNF. He just handed me a little bottle of this stuff and said to be sure and use it, twice a day, on the affected toes AND the ones on either side of it (the TNF can "jump"). About 3 months for the nails to all grow out and "be gone" TNF. Worked great. Still have it. Stuff is 10 years old and still works.

sonic
08-18-2008, 10:19
Two solutions either I or my son have used in the past-Soak your toes in Listerine or smear with Tea Tree Oil twice a day. Both work well and we have the same, but cheaper results as going to a Doc for a prescription.

hoyawolf
08-19-2008, 19:40
i'm always amazed at folks hesitant to go to the doc! i guess my socialized medicine has me spoiled.

Dogwood
08-19-2008, 19:43
Teatree oil and Vicks's Vapor Rub applied to nails 2/day for as long as it takes to clear up.

NICKTHEGREEK
08-23-2008, 15:09

thx,

No worries, the entire toe will fall off soon --

unless you quit trying to get medical help over the internet and go see a doctor

highway
08-23-2008, 15:53
While visiting my pediatrist (foot doctor) for my first set of orthotics, he noted some TNF. He just handed me a little bottle of this stuff and said to be sure and use it, twice a day, on the affected toes AND the ones on either side of it (the TNF can "jump"). About 3 months for the nails to all grow out and "be gone" TNF. Worked great. Still have it. Stuff is 10 years old and still works.

What was the name of it?

Toolshed
08-23-2008, 17:54
Penlac.
WWW.Penlac.com

HelgaWade009
06-24-2011, 02:53
I have to agree. See a doctor first to properly address your condition. However, if seeking medical help is not an option for you, try using home remedies. I know people who were able to treat their toenail fungus by applying tea tree oil on their infected nails, or by soaking their feet in apple cider vinegar everyday (30 mins that is). You can also try using over the counter liquid treatments like Fungusil. Also, practice good foot hygiene.

Dogwood
06-24-2011, 13:26
Let me get this straight. For two yrs your toenail fungus, if that is the culprit, has been getting progressively worse and you have not seen a doctor and are seeking a medical prognosis via the internet at a backquacking website? Humm? Do you think that's the best way of going about relieving this issue?

NotYet
06-24-2011, 14:20
My husband had the same symptoms. A friend told us to soak it in vinegar for 30 minutes every day. It took several months...but it worked!

Trailweaver
06-25-2011, 01:26
I picked up this lovely condition from my husband (sharing the same shower) and he still has it because he refuses to deal with it. I went to the doctor and got a prescription (a pill) which I took (forgot how long) and I'm done with it. I halfway expected to get it again (at which point either divorce or homicide seems reasonable, and I'm not sure yet which one it will be) but I haven't.

There is the Penlac (a clear nail polish) which is applied every day for a week, then removed with nail polish remover, and reapplied every day for a week, repeat as necessary until the toe nails grow out clear and healthy. Meanwhile, filing the affected thick part of the nail to a thinner depth helps absorb the Penlac.

The pill was easier to do, but you do have to have a healthy liver, and your doctor will recommend (or should) a liver function test (done by blood work) in order to accomplish this. They don't recommend the pill for people who have compromised their liver by alcohol or in the case of older patients.

If you choose not to have healthy nails, they will eventually become so compromised that they will loosen and fall off, at which point you will have exposed tender skin and nerves. . . trust me you'll want steel-toed boots to wear to fend off anyone who might step on your toes by accident. Seems simpler to try the home remedies or see a doctor.