PDA

View Full Version : REI in Asheville

Cabin Fever
08-17-2008, 00:29
While cruising around REI's site tonight, I discovered that they are soon opening a store in Asheville!!! WOOHOO! Another place to blow my paycheck.

This is great news for those of us in the Western Carolina/East Tennessee area. Maybe Knoxville will get one soon.

Address is 31 Scheink Parkway, Asheville, NC 28803. They are hiring - that's how I found out.

sbennett
08-17-2008, 00:33
good luck competing with Diamond Brand up there....I guess REI does have a niche when it comes to paddling and mountain bikes, but really, who cares about those.

Cabin Fever
08-17-2008, 00:35
I would not say they have a niche in mountain bikes. They sell more to the rich somewhat warrior-like weekenders. They carry very few if any of the top brands. They will have to compete with Mast and others.

sbennett
08-17-2008, 00:41
I would not say they have a niche in mountain bikes. They sell more to the rich somewhat warrior-like weekenders. They carry very few if any of the top brands. They will have to compete with Mast and others.

haha, shows how much I know about mountain bikes (which is zero I might add)

REI stores are neat an all but they never seem to have what I'm looking for; they just seem to be full of REI brand stuff and Keen shoes...

harvestmoon
08-17-2008, 12:50
cool, i'm moving to Asheville hopefully after my nobo in 2009...has anyone ever worked there? I'd like to hear more about it if anyone has?

Bearpaw
08-17-2008, 13:26
Maybe Knoxville will get one soon.

It could happen, but it will be a while. Last year, REI approved buyers to begin searching for new stores in Tennessee. This meant specifically a new Nashville location (aside from Brentwood), Knoxville, and Chattanooga.

Nashville's search ended when REI bought the Sherwin William's store directly next to the Brentwood location. The store is now undergoing renovation and will nearly double in overall size (about 50% more floor space that customers will see and more than twice the warehouse so we employees can stop tripping over ourselves when getting shoes or whatnot).

So now Knoxville or Chat-town are under consideration. But it's an average of 2-10 years for a new store to happen once a bargain basement site is found. REI likes the "fixer-upper" model in better neighborhoods and won't buy or lease a property unless it can start very cheap, with a strong likelihood for strong growth. Both the Knoxville and Chattanooga areas have shown potential with strong online sales. Now REI just has to find that "dream location" to start the process.

So keep hoping. It could happen in as little as a couple or three years. Or it could take a decade. But the interest is there.

Bearpaw
08-17-2008, 13:48
cool, i'm moving to Asheville hopefully after my nobo in 2009...has anyone ever worked there? I'd like to hear more about it if anyone has?

REI is an interesting company to work for. It has been in Forbe's Magazine's "100 Best Companies to Work For" every year for over a decade.

That being said, you have to decide what you want from your work. I work as a part-timer and it is a great place for me. I have trememdous flexibility in scheduling and routinely take my summers off to hike (I teach, so this is normal for me). My managers know this and work to accommodate me.

Pay is light. You'll make as much or probably more at Walmart. However, discounts and special purchase deals from manufacturers make my paycheck dramatically more worthwhile. I couldn't live on REI as my sole income, but I don't need to. Full-time employees DO get paid more than part-timers, and get good benefits.

Even part-timers are eligible for health insurance. It's not top line, but it costs under $50 a month and covers basic needs and emergencies well enough. I don't know any other place that provides part-timers with insurance.

The best part, IMO, is the whole culture. Folks are generally laid-back while insuring the place runs smoothly and turns a solic profit so members can always get their dividend back every February. Most employees are enthusiastic outdoorsmen, and it's nice to work with kindred spirits. If there is a problem, management is willing to work with employees and really listen. I've worked for some big corporations and seen management that ranges from professionally distant (Bridgestone/Firestone) to manipulative and unprincipled (Tyco). REI has a completely different culture. It's open: upper level management visits from Atlanta regularly, not to "check up" on us, but to offer more support and simply say well done. And they keep us informed on what's going on with the company as a whole (which is why I know at least a bit of what's happenning with the Knoxville and Chattanooga store searches from the previous post). A 10-hour-a-week employee like me feels as included and important as the store manager.

If you want a job with high-pay, REI is NOT the place. Managers make a livable wage, but not any thing great. Full-time non-management folks usually have a part-time job on the side while they wait for a supervisor's opening at some new or expanding store. And there is always a new management job opening if you're willing to relolcate. My store has gone from 3 to 5 managers in the 7 years I've worked there. The chain is opening 3-6 new stores a year. There is plenty of room for growth. While most retail stores have seen downturns since 2001, REI has continued to grow across the board.

So there is room for growth and a great work environment, so long as you don't need fat stacks of cash.

Roots
08-17-2008, 14:45
Diamond Brand is a great outdoor store but is NO comparison to REI. I can not find the up to date new equipment at Diamond Brand like I can REI. If you can't find it in the REI store you can get it on line and have it sent to the store for free. Diamond brand will order stuff for you, but can not get the variety there that you can at REI.

It will be nice to go up the road to an REI. I have ordered from them for years and will continue to shop with them. Now it will be easier to blow money.:D

Flush2wice
08-17-2008, 14:54
REI will put Diamond Brand retail out of business. They'll keep making tents and stuff for boy scouts, but REI will put a big hurt on them. Asheville is already saturated with outfitters. Diamond Brand, Black Dome, NOC, Take a Hike (Black Mountain) and now REI.

Mrs Baggins
08-17-2008, 14:58
Someone said there was a rumor that REI was coming to Augusta GA. I emailed the company and asked them. I got back some ridiculous vague reply about "we only build so many stores per year and we research the area carefully before coming in." An absolute NON answer. So it looks like it's still going to be 3 hours to the nearest REI for us for a very long time. :mad:

NICKTHEGREEK
08-17-2008, 15:17
REI is an interesting company to work for. It has been in Forbe's Magazine's "100 Best Companies to Work For" every year for over a decade.

That being said, you have to decide what you want from your work. I work as a part-timer and it is a great place for me. I have trememdous flexibility in scheduling and routinely take my summers off to hike (I teach, so this is normal for me). My managers know this and work to accommodate me.

Pay is light. You'll make as much or probably more at Walmart. However, discounts and special purchase deals from manufacturers make my paycheck dramatically more worthwhile. I couldn't live on REI as my sole income, but I don't need to. Full-time employees DO get paid more than part-timers, and get good benefits.

Even part-timers are eligible for health insurance. It's not top line, but it costs under $50 a month and covers basic needs and emergencies well enough. I don't know any other place that provides part-timers with insurance.

The best part, IMO, is the whole culture. Folks are generally laid-back while insuring the place runs smoothly and turns a solic profit so members can always get their dividend back every February. Most employees are enthusiastic outdoorsmen, and it's nice to work with kindred spirits. If there is a problem, management is willing to work with employees and really listen. I've worked for some big corporations and seen management that ranges from professionally distant (Bridgestone/Firestone) to manipulative and unprincipled (Tyco). REI has a completely different culture. It's open: upper level management visits from Atlanta regularly, not to "check up" on us, but to offer more support and simply say well done. And they keep us informed on what's going on with the company as a whole (which is why I know at least a bit of what's happenning with the Knoxville and Chattanooga store searches from the previous post). A 10-hour-a-week employee like me feels as included and important as the store manager.

If you want a job with high-pay, REI is NOT the place. Managers make a livable wage, but not any thing great. Full-time non-management folks usually have a part-time job on the side while they wait for a supervisor's opening at some new or expanding store. And there is always a new management job opening if you're willing to relolcate. My store has gone from 3 to 5 managers in the 7 years I've worked there. The chain is opening 3-6 new stores a year. There is plenty of room for growth. While most retail stores have seen downturns since 2001, REI has continued to grow across the board.

So there is room for growth and a great work environment, so long as you don't need fat stacks of cash.

That was a very informative response. My wife and I looked at Asheville as a possible place to retire.
Asheville looked very liveable and part of the attraction was a wealth of boutique shops. If a big retailer comes in and chases the small fry out the town will be less for it.

Hooch
08-17-2008, 15:20
good luck competing with Diamond Brand up there....Folks thought the same thing when REI came to Charlotte trying to compete with 2 Jesse Browns locations and Great Outdoor Provision Company. They couldn't have done too bad, the second location for REI in Charlotte opens next month.

NICKTHEGREEK
08-17-2008, 15:21
Someone said there was a rumor that REI was coming to Augusta GA. I emailed the company and asked them. I got back some ridiculous vague reply about "we only build so many stores per year and we research the area carefully before coming in." An absolute NON answer. So it looks like it's still going to be 3 hours to the nearest REI for us for a very long time. :mad:
There's 2 here in Northern VA each about 10 minutes from my home. Choose between REI Fair Oaks and REI Bailey's Crossroads and I'll ask them to move. I wish Appalachian Outfitters was still in Oakton.

harvestmoon
08-17-2008, 15:33

Thank you for your response, I'm looking forward to moving to Asheville after our thru in 09, hopefully they will be hiring for the Holidays!

Bearpaw
08-17-2008, 15:50
REI will put Diamond Brand retail out of business. They'll keep making tents and stuff for boy scouts, but REI will put a big hurt on them. Asheville is already saturated with outfitters. Diamond Brand, Black Dome, NOC, Take a Hike (Black Mountain) and now REI.

A lot depends on how savvy the managers at Diamond Brand are in their market. REI cannot hope to match single store outfitters for responsiveness to the newest gear or niche gear, especially ultralight equipment.

If Diamond Brand manages to market gear from companies like ULA or Six Moon Designs, they will corner that market in the Asheville area. REI couldn't hope to market these products because Ron Moak or Brian Frankle couldn't hope to make enough pack or tarptents to support REI's massive operation. Even larger companies like GoLite, Vargo, and so forth can only feed REI a few items. A single store can get much more. And let's not forget clothing and footwear. This is where a chain as large as REI makes most of its money, believe it or not. A smart store owner will build those relationships to get items that REI can't get at all or only as a "special order" outside its warehouse supply chain.

Bearpaw
08-17-2008, 15:54
Thank you for your response, I'm looking forward to moving to Asheville after our thru in 09, hopefully they will be hiring for the Holidays!

You're welcome. It really is a cool placed to work, and there is always a need at the Holidays. Don't be frustrated if you don't get a call immediately. It all depends on which shifts and departments they need folks in as to who gets hired. My store used to bring folks in maybe once every 3 months - newer smaller store. Now they get new hires every 6-8 weeks. But only those folks with availability at the times the store needs. Good luck!

wilconow
08-17-2008, 15:55
There's 2 here in Northern VA each about 10 minutes from my home. Choose between REI Fair Oaks and REI Bailey's Crossroads and I'll ask them to move.

huh? :confused:

NICKTHEGREEK
08-17-2008, 16:58
huh? :confused:
Even though you are a WB moderator, you obviously don't have the clout that I do.
She wants one we have 2, point is who needs 1 let alone 2.

wilconow
08-17-2008, 17:02
Gosh I was just expressing that I didn't understand what you were trying to say.. no offense man

NICKTHEGREEK
08-17-2008, 17:11
Gosh I was just expressing that I didn't understand what you were trying to say.. no offense man
None taken, none meant. Just a little humor shoulda put a smiley on it.

sbennett
08-17-2008, 17:31
Folks thought the same thing when REI came to Charlotte trying to compete with 2 Jesse Browns locations and Great Outdoor Provision Company. They couldn't have done too bad, the second location for REI in Charlotte opens next month.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, I've only lived in Charlotte a couple months but this is the first I've heard of a 2nd location. Apparently it'll be up in the Northlake area...I guess that's closer than Pineville. Anyways, I used to work at Great Outdoor Provision Co., and I didn't think they were nearly as good as Diamond Brand (the Arden location). But Asheville's a mountain town, I'm sure there'll be room for everyone.

wilconow
08-17-2008, 17:33
None taken, none meant. Just a little humor shoulda put a smiley on it.

Ok, cool... curious, what do you think of Hudson Trails?

Mrs Baggins
08-17-2008, 20:08
There's 2 here in Northern VA each about 10 minutes from my home. Choose between REI Fair Oaks and REI Bailey's Crossroads and I'll ask them to move. I wish Appalachian Outfitters was still in Oakton.

***????? Do you know how far from northern VA we are??????????????? I used to live in Frederick MD and we had THREE REIs within an hour in any direction. God willing and the creek don't rise we'll be BACK in Maryland a year from now! We've learned our lesson and after living in Phoenix, Denver, Baltimore, near DC and in Montreal we CANNOT live in a backwater like Aiken any longer than is absolutely necessary. We'll go back to Maryland as soon as we can sell this house.

Footslogger
08-17-2008, 21:04
I put in 5 years with REI (part time) in Atlanta before relocating to Wyoming. I can tell you that if there was a store in Laramie I would be working there. It was the best part time job I have ever had and in retirement I would consider taking a full time job there.

Are they perfect ...heck no ! But they have a operating philosophy that caters to people with true outdoor interests. Case in point - - I once assisted a customer (and his wife) who were preparing for a huge trek, culiminating in a summit of Kilimanjaro. Because of my experience and knowledge of gear/clothing I was permitted/encouraged to assist the customer the entire time they were in the store ...in ALL departments. Show me another employer who allows/encourages that type of freedom and customer service. Maybe it was my store manager at the time ??? ...but like I said before, if there was an REI in Laramie I'd be working there in some capacity.

'Slogger

NICKTHEGREEK
08-17-2008, 22:18
Ok, cool... curious, what do you think of Hudson Trails?
Each day takes them closer to a clothing store.

wilconow
08-17-2008, 23:42
Each day takes them closer to a clothing store.

Yeah I live right by the one in Pentagon City and their staff's knowledge of outdoor gear is comicial. maybe they know wilderness chic fashion

double d
08-17-2008, 23:58
I've never had a bad experience at REI and I've bought items from them at many different location throughout the US. Great products and mostly hiking experienced employees who are laid back and fun to talk too. I've even taken back items wondering if there would be a problem and every time I've been happy with the outcome (money back or exchanged product). I'm also a 14 year REI member.

Heater
08-18-2008, 04:28
I think you are right. Most REI employees here (Austin, Tx.) do not have a clue. Catering to rich "hike and bike trail" runners. But hey, that is their base.

They have two stores here so there are a lot of "hike 'n bikers" here. :eek:

Ramble~On
08-18-2008, 04:38
I've always wondered why there wasn't an REI in Asheville...it just didn't make sense.

I don't think that having an REI in Asheville is going to drive anyone out of business. From what I understand the store's gonna be out at Biltmore Village. I'm looking forward to it...I buy a lot of stuff from REI and with this store and their free shipping of items to the store I'll save $ on shipping charges...

NICKTHEGREEK
08-18-2008, 08:00
Yeah I live right by the one in Pentagon City and their staff's knowledge of outdoor gear is comicial. maybe they know wilderness chic fashion
Nice area, I used to live in Crystal Sq apts across Jeff Davis and worked next door.

I've had hit or miss luck with the Fairfax Circle store on 50. The staff had some savvy but the selection dwindled. The sales are worth hitting, I'm still using Sweetwater filter cartridges I got for 75% off.