PDA

View Full Version : Trucker's Hitch vs. HH-hitch

Hudson
03-06-2004, 13:22
Hi. I have a HH Explorer UL that I don't have that many nights in yet. Until now I have used the Hennessy hitch to tie it up. The Hennessy hitch works fine but I don't know if it's the optimal way to do it. I recently stumbled over a website with a guy using the Trucker's hitch to tie up his hammock and this seems to be a smoother way to do it. I know that I'll still have to tighten the ropes once to take up the slack but it seems to be smoother with the Trucker's hitch. I also have a feeling that the Hennessy hitch gives some slack after a while as my weight tightens it.

I'm really curious to know what hitches other hammockers use. I'd also like to know the pros and cons of the different hitches?

/viktor

azchipka
03-06-2004, 14:05
Hi. I have a HH Explorer UL that I don't have that many nights in yet. Until now I have used the Hennessy hitch to tie it up. The Hennessy hitch works fine but I don't know if it's the optimal way to do it. I recently stumbled over a website with a guy using the Trucker's hitch to tie up his hammock and this seems to be a smoother way to do it. I know that I'll still have to tighten the ropes once to take up the slack but it seems to be smoother with the Trucker's hitch. I also have a feeling that the Hennessy hitch gives some slack after a while as my weight tightens it.

I'm really curious to know what hitches other hammockers use. I'd also like to know the pros and cons of the different hitches?

/viktor

One thing i have done a number of times is used a rock climbing sling. Since i climb its a way of getting multi use out of equipment.

Basicly you use the same setup as you would if you where going to be setting up a top rope station. This will make sense to the other climbers but most likely doesnt mean much to any one else. Its a very similar idea to the HH hitch except with out the multiple wraps.This is also a good way to extend the distance to a tree.

Hammock Hanger
03-06-2004, 18:33
I am very happy with the HHitch. I can do it in the dark, I can do it in a minute and I don't slip or move at all once in the hammock. And getting dress I sometimes bounce around. I've tried other ways but found I like this way best for me. It's esy and it's secure. Sue/Hammock Hanger

attroll
03-06-2004, 20:08
I am happy doing my HH-hitch. I can do it pretty much blindfolded. But I have never heard of the Trucker's Hitch. So I will bite on this. Where can I see the Trucker's hitch? I am interested in it.

hungryhowie
03-06-2004, 20:14
Can't vouch for the HH hitch, but I've used a trucker's hitch for years and years to tie up anything and everything. I use it for clotheslines, guylines, to tie Kayaks, and other luggage/stuff to the roof of the car, etc. It is an easy way to get the rope however taught you want it (the best knot I've found for tension), and it is prettymuch fullproof. I've tied knots on canoes that were being hauled cross country (you have to retie them when the knots get wet because of stretching, but other than that, you never have to retie them). It's also really quick to reset. If I need to reset the guys on my tarp in the middle of the rainstorm, I can do it from underneath the tarp without really getting wet and get the tarp nice and tight again. I can't say enough for this knot. If you could only know one knot, this is the one to know.

-Howie

Spokes
03-07-2004, 00:00
Pretty good knot website!

http://www.netknots.com/html/paddling_knots.html

highway
03-07-2004, 06:53
I can't say enough for this knot. If you could only know one knot, this is the one to know.

-Howie
It is important when you want to lash something down, but there is another knot, equally important, and probably used even more than the "trucker's" knot. it's the knot of choice whenever one wants a knot to tie any line to most anything, and have it be non-slipping as well as quickly removable (untieable). Its the amazingly simple "bowline". Everyone needs to know them both and i am amazed that so few have ever heard of either.

The "trucker's" knot is just a recent name for it; historically it has been called many many more, previously. And it has been so important a knot that there are other adaptations of it, too. I know at least one other.