PDA

View Full Version : Gooch Gap Difficulties

simplysql
08-17-2008, 16:36
Yesterday we hiked from Cooper Gap, and assumed we'd be going to Gooch Gap - at the start of the trail at Cooper, the sign said 4.8 miles to Gooch. On my AT map, it appeared that FR 42 crossed over the AT at Gooch - just before the shelter. We had taken 42 in and parked at Cooper, and had planned to walk the road back from Gooch to our car. We got to the Gooch shelter and had lunch, I figured the road and Gooch Gap would be just a short hike past the shelter - we ended up hiking at least a mile before turning around, and then taking the trail back to Cooper. We never did see a place where the trail came back down to 42 until we got back to Cooper. The trail had a pretty good descent, right after the shelter, and I figured we'd come out on the road at any time, but it never happened, and the trail started into another ascent. I am really perplexed. Did we not go far enough past the shelter to hit 42 and Gooch Gap? I was afraid to keep going, figured we'd end up at Woody Gap before too long - had a 9 year old daughter in tow - and wanted to be on the safe side. Thanks for any help!

Speer Carrier
08-17-2008, 16:45
Forest Service road 42 crosses back over the AT about 1.6 miles passed new Gooch Gap shelter going north from Cooper Gap. You probably didn't walk far enough.

simplysql
08-17-2008, 16:59
story of my life - didn't walk far enough...thanks - on the way back, my wife and I kept saying "if we'd only gone another half mile" :-)

papa john
08-17-2008, 17:04
It's a long road walk back anyway. Even going by car seems to take forever.

Dances with Mice
08-17-2008, 18:48
Yesterday we hiked from Cooper Gap, and assumed we'd be going to Gooch Gap - at the start of the trail at Cooper, the sign said 4.8 miles to Gooch. On my AT map, it appeared that FR 42 crossed over the AT at Gooch - just before the shelter. We had taken 42 in and parked at Cooper, and had planned to walk the road back from Gooch to our car. We got to the Gooch shelter and had lunch, I figured the road and Gooch Gap would be just a short hike past the shelter - we ended up hiking at least a mile before turning around, and then taking the trail back to Cooper. We never did see a place where the trail came back down to 42 until we got back to Cooper. The trail had a pretty good descent, right after the shelter, and I figured we'd come out on the road at any time, but it never happened, and the trail started into another ascent. I am really perplexed. Did we not go far enough past the shelter to hit 42 and Gooch Gap? I was afraid to keep going, figured we'd end up at Woody Gap before too long - had a 9 year old daughter in tow - and wanted to be on the safe side. Thanks for any help!The problem is you have an old map. Your map showed the shelter at Gooch Gap, right?

It ain't there. You had lunch at the Gooch Mountain shelter.

That was the disconnect between your location and where you thought you were located.

I'm glad you still had a nice hike. That's a pretty area of the Trail. Did you find the "secret" cave on the way up from Gooch? About 5000 Boy Scouts have.

Egads
08-17-2008, 19:43
Did you find the "secret" cave on the way up from Gooch? About 5000 Boy Scouts have.

I was unaware; care to share?

I heard there is a cave on Blood too; have you?:rolleyes:

Dances with Mice
08-17-2008, 19:56
I was unaware; care to share?

I heard there is a cave on Blood too; have you?It's not a real cave, just a deep rock overhang. It's near the top of Justus, a well-stomped side trail of about 10 yards leads to it. In fact, there's a scenic overlook almost at the top of Justus, the 'cave' is directly under it.

It's easier to find in winter / spring than summer / fall and easier to see NOBO than SOBO.

I don't know about caves on Blood. Probably another overhang-type 'cave'. I know there's a couple major overhangs on the Byrd trail around the west side of Blood.

Dances with Mice
08-17-2008, 19:59
I don't know about caves on Blood. Probably another overhang-type 'cave'. I know there's a couple major overhangs on the Byrd trail around the west side of Blood.That would be the south side for those intelligent enough to use a map and compass rather than my directions.

simplysql
08-18-2008, 08:24
Thanks for all the responses - this site has turned out to be a treasure of information!

yes, my daughter found the cave - my wife wouldn't let her go down in there - afraid of who/what might be living in there :)

Yes, I guess my map is old, although I got it this year at the Mountain Crossings store at Neels Gap. And to comment about it being a long way up there by road - that is definitely an understatement!! It's about 17 miles on 42 - close to 45 minutes once you get off the paved road.

Dances with Mice
08-18-2008, 08:44
Yes, I guess my map is old, although I got it this year at the Mountain Crossings store at Neels Gap. And to comment about it being a long way up there by road - that is definitely an understatement!! It's about 17 miles on 42 - close to 45 minutes once you get off the paved road.Which map? The No GA Wildlife Mgt Area map is great for roads but the AT & shelter locations are out of date.

We can help with the long drive on 42, there are easier ways to access Gooch and 42. From Woodstock head east over to 400. Follow 400 until it ends then Hiway 60 into Dahlonega and watch for signs to "Camp Frank Merrill". Follow the signs to the camp. Turn right immediately in front of the camp entrance onto a gravel road called "Gooch Gap Rd.". Guess where it ends?

whitefoot
08-18-2008, 09:50
DWM, isn't it "cooper gap road" that is the right turn at the dead end of camp wahsega road?

one can get to cooper gap by driving towards suches on GA 60, passing woody gap, then turning left at tritts store onto a road that quickly becomes gravel. be careful, cooper gap is not 'overly' marked.

Dances with Mice
08-18-2008, 10:04
DWM, isn't it "cooper gap road" that is the right turn at the dead end of camp wahsega road?

one can get to cooper gap by driving towards suches on GA 60, passing woody gap, then turning left at tritts store onto a road that quickly becomes gravel. be careful, cooper gap is not 'overly' marked.You're exactly right, it is Cooper Gap. That's where he started.

And the best way to Gooch is how you explained. That's the beginning (end) of FS 42.

simplysql
08-18-2008, 12:36
oh man, that is definitely a better way than I went!!! Yes, the map I had was the No GA Wildlife Mgt Area map - it has been accurate up to this point - but it was definitely wrong about where 42 crossed near the Gooch shelter. On the map, it shows 42 crossing the AT just before the shelter going northbound - which is definitely not the case!

Dances with Mice
08-18-2008, 13:06
oh man, that is definitely a better way than I went!!! Yes, the map I had was the No GA Wildlife Mgt Area map - it has been accurate up to this point - but it was definitely wrong about where 42 crossed near the Gooch shelter. On the map, it shows 42 crossing the AT just before the shelter going northbound - which is definitely not the case!I didn't explain this well. The map is accurate about the roads and where they cross the trail, but it is not accurate about where the shelters are. The Gooch Gap shelter shown on the map was torn down years ago. The Gooch Mountain shelter, where you ate lunch, isn't shown. Neither is Woods Hole shelter, north of Woody Gap. The location of Stover Creek shelter has also changed.

Keep the No GA Wildlife Mgt Area map, it's the best for showing backroads, how they provide access to the Trail and how the backroads connect to main roads. Use the GATC's description of the Trail (http://www.georgia-atclub.org/description.html) to get a free description of the shelter locations. Notice that it's about 1.4 miles from Gooch MOUNTAIN shelter to Gooch Gap, the road crossing.

The ATC's Trail Guide and maps (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=62&compid=1)for Georgia will be much more detailed and more accurate but limited in showing how to access various trailheads. That's where the Wildlife Mgt Area map comes in.

Bulldawg
08-18-2008, 13:10
I want one of these other maps you speak of DWM!!

Two Speed
08-18-2008, 13:14
Gonna pile on here; are the Georgia guides available? Last time I was at Mountain Crossings, no luck. Same at REI in Kennesaw.

Dances with Mice
08-18-2008, 13:20
I want one of these other maps you speak of DWM!!No. Ga Wildlife Mgt Area maps? Wal-Mart, in the sporting section beside with the Georgia lake maps. It has the entire GA AT on one page, on waterproof paper. It even has Lake Russell WMA and its trails.

Dances with Mice
08-18-2008, 13:23
Gonna pile on here; are the Georgia guides available? Last time I was at Mountain Crossings, no luck. Same at REI in Kennesaw.Don't know about that. I'd order through the ATC.

I need to do that too. My AT map is worn through and my guide's about 6 years old.

Two Speed
08-18-2008, 13:35
My Georgia guide isn't that old, just a map got boosted; been trying to replace that for a while. Kinda embarrassing to live in Georgia and not have a map of the trail in the state.

Bulldawg
08-18-2008, 15:21
Gonna pile on here; are the Georgia guides available? Last time I was at Mountain Crossings, no luck. Same at REI in Kennesaw.

MC had them when I was there in last weekend.

Two Speed
08-18-2008, 15:40
Excellent. Been more than a little irritating not to have a map of the part of the AT that's closest to home.

max patch
08-18-2008, 16:01
My GA/NC guidebook is over 20 years old. I know GA so well that I've never considered replacing it until recently. I know whats changed in my head. My boys were planning a trip and had us staying at shelters that don't exist anymore. So I've had to replace it for their benefit.

BTW, if anyone purchases it from a retail store make sure you get the latest (13th) edition. It was recently revised.