PDA

View Full Version : Water on the AT from Carvers Gap to Erwin, TN

Mocs123
08-17-2008, 17:25
I am planning on doing a hike from Carvers Gap to Erwin over Labor Day weekend and was wondering if anyone has some up to date water information about the springs there. I am planning on staying at Greasy Creek Gap and at Beauty Spot Gap and realize those springs might not be as reliable as the springs near the shelters. Thanks for any help.

Tennessee Viking
08-17-2008, 17:40
Ask Cabin Fever, he just walked Carvers to Iron Mtn Gap.

I was just at Ash Gap, and water was a little low but running. But you can cross the Cloadland parking lot to a water fountain.

If you plan to go down to the Greasy Creek Hostel. Great hostel, just watch our for CeCe's neighbor.

The Apple Orchard spring near Weedy Gap runs pretty well even during dry seasons.

There is a good spring at the switchback going up Little Bald Knob and at Cherry Gap shelter

The spring near Beauty Spot, crossing the road from the stile, has been a bit unreliable. But the spring at Deep Gap, after coming down Unaka Mtn summit, is flowing.

There a couple small springs that can run low before Curley Maple. But Curley Maple spring runs pretty good.

Mocs123
08-17-2008, 18:32
We are just planning to camp at Greasy Creek Gap and not planning on going down to the Hostel. On my last section (Sam's Gap to Erwin) we passed some hikers who had stayed at the Hostel and although they had great things to say about it, also had stories about the neighbor.

Cabin Fever
08-17-2008, 21:09
I didn't check on the water at Greasy Creek, but I would think it is running at least somewhat. Ash Gap is decent and usable. Past Iron Mountain Gap, I would hit the water at Cherry Gap and pack a lot out there. Will be scarce until you get to Erwin as you walk on top of the ridgeline.