PDA

View Full Version : AT in NOVA from Sky Meadows to Harpers Ferry

hoyawolf
08-17-2008, 21:56
Anyone have some decent information on this section? I am looking for something that can be done in a three-four day weekend.

Thanks.
Hoywolf

Blissful
08-17-2008, 22:04
Welcome to White Blaze.

That's the famous rollercoaster area with lots of ascents and descents. A rocky area in Devils Racecourse, but not bad. Interesting Civil War fortifications when you enter West VA. We did it in the autumn, very nice in October but kind of tough if you are not trail conditioned. Should be able to do it though in a long weekend.

CherrypieScout
08-17-2008, 22:06
If you go to the SNP link on the National and State Parks forum, you will get lots of info. I hiked that section about 3 weeks ago. The Roller Coaster is rocky,but the trail south of it is nice.

buff_jeff
08-17-2008, 22:09
You can do definitely do that section in 3 days. Sky Meadows State Park is very nice and the "Roller Coaster" is overrated and nothing more than an annoyance. I'd recommend staying at Bears Den Hostel if you can fit that in. It's a really nice place with a solid hiker package for $25 that includes bunk, laundry, BJ, pizza, soda, and shower. I'm really not aware of any side trails that you could work in to make it a little longer but I'm sure some people with more experience with this area will come along sooner or later.

Newb
08-18-2008, 07:53
It's a really nice place with a solid hiker package for $25 that includes bunk, laundry, BJ, pizza, soda, and shower.

Wow, there's an item in that list that would really make the Bear's Den stay worthwhile.:banana

hoyawolf
08-18-2008, 09:19
"BJ" - eh, my wife may not approve of Bear's Den! :)

I am going to look at heading up there in early Oct. I cannot do anything until after I run the Great Eastern Endurance Run 50k down in Charlottesville.

October is my favorite time of the year on the trail anyways, esp here in VA at the lower elevations.

rafe
08-18-2008, 09:29
For what it's worth... you can lighten up your food load a bit on the 2-3 days just south of Harpers Ferry... if you time your hike right, there are places to eat just off the trail at Key's Gap and Snickers Gap... and of course the trail runs smack through Harpers Ferry. A long-ish day northbound from HF takes you to Dahlgren campground in MD and a fine dinner at the South Mountain Inn. Life is good.

Newb
08-18-2008, 09:47
Yeah, you can go Sky Meadows to HF in 3 days easy.. 1st day do the Rollercoaster to Sam Moore shelter (unless you want to push to Bear's Den). Second day you make it to the Blackburn Trail center. Third day cruise on into HF. Make sure to pack enough water on the third day as there's none on the trail. However, you can go east at Keys Gap (Hwy 9) about a quarter mile and find a quickie mart.

buff_jeff
08-18-2008, 10:16
"BJ" - eh, my wife may not approve of Bear's Den! :)

Ben and Jerry's! You guys have sick minds. :D

buff_jeff
08-18-2008, 10:17
Yeah, you can go Sky Meadows to HF in 3 days easy.. 1st day do the Rollercoaster to Sam Moore shelter (unless you want to push to Bear's Den). Second day you make it to the Blackburn Trail center. Third day cruise on into HF. Make sure to pack enough water on the third day as there's none on the trail. However, you can go east at Keys Gap (Hwy 9) about a quarter mile and find a quickie mart.

How is the Blackburn Trail Center? It didn't really fit into our day so we skipped it.

Lone Wolf
08-18-2008, 10:27
it's ok. it is what it is.

rafe
08-18-2008, 12:36
How is the Blackburn Trail Center? It didn't really fit into our day so we skipped it.

It's a nice place, worth the visit, IMO. Has a shower with a solar hot-water heater, a small cabin, or ample tent space on the lawn. The caretakers are known to feed hikers with small treats -- sodas, or coffee and muffins for breakfast. It might even be a good place to stop in inclement weather -- ample room and picnic tables on the porch of the main building.