PDA

View Full Version : 3 day hike near Burlington

MrHappy
08-17-2008, 23:59
Can anybody recommend for me a VERY easy 3-4 day hike on the Long Trail near Burlington? I'm coming off the tail end of an 18 month hip injury and I'd like to ease myself back into backpacking this weekend, so I'm looking for an area with shelters close together (no more than 6-8 miles / day).

Any advice? Thanks!

-Happy

mark schofield
08-18-2008, 09:13
I think that around Burlington you will encounter MT. Mansfield, Camel's Hump, Mt Abrahams, ect. Although the shelters are close enough, the ups and downs are frequent and more strenuous as yo get farther north. You might want to consider starting at Killington/Route 4 and going north. The shelters aren't too far apart and the walking is a bit easier. Good luck on your recovery. Mark S.

mark schofield
08-18-2008, 10:20
The Green mountian web site has a list of shelters and distances and elevations between them. You have to poke around to find this particular page.

MrHappy
08-18-2008, 10:48
I've found that page but there is no information about road-crossings or even rough-geographical area so I can't tell if a shelter is by Rutland or Canada....

MrHappy
08-18-2008, 10:48
Thanks Mark. I'll consider that.

Kerosene
08-18-2008, 13:18
I'd drive the 90 minutes down to The Inn at Long Trail, leave your car there, and catch a shuttle up to Middlebury College/VT-125 (or perhaps Lincoln/VT-116 for a longer trek) and hike south back to your car. This is one of the easier parts of the LT, with some nice views around Chittenden Reservoir.

mark schofield
08-18-2008, 17:22
from the trail head at killington/Rt. 4/Inn at the Long Trail, it's 1.5 miles north to the first shelter - Tucker Johnson. From Sunrise shelter it's 1 mile north to Brandon Gap/Rt. 73. Sucker Brook Shelter is 5 miles north after Brandon Gap/Rt. 73. Rt. 125/Middleburry Gap is 4.5 miles north after Sucker Brook shelter. Middleburry Gap/Rt. 124 to Apalachian Gap/Rt. 17 is about 17 miles. All the shelters are about 5 to 6 miles apart. The climbing gets harder after Appalachian Gap. Please anyone correct me if I've made a mistake. Kerosene's idea is a good hike with numerous shelters, not too difficult.

mark schofield
08-18-2008, 17:25
also, check out this web site for a good idea of the routes you might take

http://www.jamiecompos.com/LongTrail.html

angewrite
08-18-2008, 21:13
Can anybody recommend for me a VERY easy 3-4 day hike on the Long Trail near Burlington? I'm coming off the tail end of an 18 month hip injury and I'd like to ease myself back into backpacking this weekend, so I'm looking for an area with shelters close together (no more than 6-8 miles / day).

Any advice? Thanks!

-Happy

There isn't a single section of the LT that anyone would call VERY easy or even easy. There are certainly sections that are easier and the terrain is gentler but do not expect any part of any hike someone recommends on the LT to be very easy. That said, you could consider the section from Eden (Rte 118) to Johnson (Rte 15) which is approx 20 miles.

oruoja
08-19-2008, 07:57
A good tip on the section from Eden (VT 118) to Johnson (Vt 15). Nothing too brutal and many nice sections with nice views from Laraway as well. As it has already been mentioned that the Long Trail really has no easy sections, there are several which have at least better footway. Per the OP's criteria I would avoid the LT from Rte 15 all the way to Vt 17 at App Gap. The section from App Gap to Middlebury Gap at Vt 125 is also nice once get to elevation and is also fairly close to Burlington.