PDA

View Full Version : Weather/Bugs in MA for late Summer/Early Fall

astrogirl
08-18-2008, 08:38
How is the summer going in the Berkshires?

I'm hiking from Sheffield, MA to Bennington, VT from September 8-21 (roughly, not sure what day I will actually leave) -- what should I expect?

When I stopped at Sheffield in August, 1999, the mosquitoes were appalling. Will that improve by mid-September?

If I had to guess, I'd expect temps from 40 at night to a possible 80 in the day (but I hope for the days to be cooler!). Am I way off?

Any tips for awesome stops along the way? My schedule, as best I can predict:

Sheffield to Mt. Wilcox 12.7
Mt. Wilcox to Upper Goose Pond Cabin 14.8
October Mt. Lean-to 8.8
Dalton, MA 11.8
Mark Noepel Lean-to 13.7
North Adams, MA 9.6
Seth Warner Shelter 6.9
Bennington, VT (rt 9) 11.5

I might be faster than this, especially later in the trip. I know I have to hit Upper Goose Pond Cabin on a weekend, and I intend to hit Dalton on a week day, ditto North Adams (if I go faster, I might not sleep there).

I'm debating hammock vs. tarp. I hiked from Springer to the NOC this spring from April 9-19th and I was....OK with the hammock. I had *no* extra heat, but I did sleep OK. I'm not willing to carry anything heavier, but my set-up got me through temps down to 25 or so at night.

rafe
08-18-2008, 08:43
I suspect bugs won't be a problem, but bring DEET in any case. It's been a very wet summer. Bugs were mildly annoying in Rutland VT this weekend (in town) but not on the trail near Killington.

Elmer
08-18-2008, 15:56
Watch out for ticks. I'm just getting over a bout of Lyme Disease I contacted in Plymouth. Took me right off my feet for a good 3 days. Saw the doctor when I noticed any signs (really sore arm for a couple days coupled with the tell tale Bulls-Eye). Head-ache, sore joints, muscles, little confused over simple things....it wasn't fun. Just a heads-up.....watch out for those little critters!

astrogirl
08-19-2008, 21:10
No one has anything to say about the weather or Dalton? Just bugs? :D

rafe
08-19-2008, 21:24
No one has anything to say about the weather or Dalton? Just bugs? :D

Weather in MA is roughly on par with the rest of New England -- very wet this summer, and (now that it's late August,) turning cooler, right on schedule. The rain is typically brief and intense -- we're not talking all-day rain. Here's the link to Intellicast's weather forecast for this week in Dalton: http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USMA0098

astrogirl
08-19-2008, 22:47
wow! lows of 47? In August and in town?

What am I looking at for overnight lows a month from now?

rafe
08-19-2008, 23:08
wow! lows of 47? In August and in town?

What am I looking at for overnight lows a month from now?

About the same, actually. We're in a bit of a cold snap just now. Here's a site showing average high=69 F, low=44 F in Pittsfield, MA, for Sept. 19:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KPSF/2008/9/19/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Here's a graph (from NOAA (http://www.weather.gov/climate/temp_range.php?redir=1&wfo=box&site=190120&lead=1)) showing average temperature for Amherst, MA:

http://www.weather.gov/climate/images/l3mto/bnw/bnw_190120_C99.jpg

ASO = August, September, October (etc.)

Cosmo
08-24-2008, 17:34
I would suspect you will get at least one frosty morning before you are done. As Terrapin said, the bugs will be much reduced in number, but they will still be active--I've fed mosquitoes in November in Mass.

Several shelters have nice new roofs (Oct Mtn and Kay Wood). Wilcox South has a new (2007) shelter just past the privy.

With all the rain, I would imagine that all sites will have plenty of water (typically Wilcox N and Crystal Mtn get pretty dry at the end of the season).

You will have plenty of room in the shelters if you don't leave until after Labor Day.

Have fun, Sept and October are the best months for hiking in Mass.

Cosmo

astrogirl
08-24-2008, 18:42
I would suspect you will get at least one frosty morning before you are done. As Terrapin said, the bugs will be much reduced in number, but they will still be active--I've fed mosquitoes in November in Mass.

Several shelters have nice new roofs (Oct Mtn and Kay Wood). Wilcox South has a new (2007) shelter just past the privy.

With all the rain, I would imagine that all sites will have plenty of water (typically Wilcox N and Crystal Mtn get pretty dry at the end of the season).

You will have plenty of room in the shelters if you don't leave until after Labor Day.

Have fun, Sept and October are the best months for hiking in Mass.

That's what I'm hoping!

Thanks for the info (from Terrapin too!)