PDA

View Full Version : William Brien Memorial Shelter

afisher99
08-18-2008, 11:00
Anyone have any information on condition lately? Would be appreciated, thanks!

bustedchucks
08-18-2008, 21:10
I passed that shelter earlier this summer and it was in good enough shape, nice bunk beds and fireplace.

The water source there is a little spring fed well and I wouldn't bank on it. There is a stream that flows into Silvermine Lake not too far from the sheler, less than half a mile i think, no map in front of me to check that. If you were headed sobo on the AT Beechy Bottom Brook would probably be your best bet.

I camped near West Mountain shelter this weekend and was suprised by how low the water in the park was considering the wet summer we've had. West Mtn is, incidentaly, a great place to watch the full moon rise - especially when you aren't aware that there is going to be a full moon that night. It was a nice treat.

sasquatch2014
08-18-2008, 21:35
I went through there last fall after the leaves had begun to drop and finding that small springbox was a bit of a challenge and then I got the added joy of digging out all the leaves from the icy water. but it was nice and cold for drinking.

afisher99
08-21-2008, 10:12
Thanks for the info, I'll post an update after I return this weekend.

horicon
08-22-2008, 12:24
Its still standing.

rockdawg69
09-05-2008, 19:14
Passed this site on 9/2/08. Full of trash, flies, and smelly. I was beat and on my way to Pallisades Pkwy for a pickup and could not heft that load over Black Mtn. Sorry! Hope someone has the time to clean the place.

Manwich
12-07-2008, 18:48
Slept at the William Brien shelter on 12/06/08

The Spring Fed well was pretty well fed. My thermometer noted the air getting to 19 degrees last night, but the well had no icing. Drank straight out of it yesterday, No trots today. I'll post here if I do get sick.

The "Fireplace" must have been boarded up within the past 2 weeks. It was a fire ring that was formed on the inside of the shelter against the middle-supporting-column. They put ply-wood over the hole cut in the ceiling that allowed for the smoke to escape. Instead there is now an enormous fire-ring in the front of the shelter. Good firewood can be obtained from a lot of downed stuff "up the hill" from the shelter, near the spring-well.

I put some of the ambient rocks into the fire to put in my tent last night. I'm happy to report they do not have moisture in them and did not explode. (If anybody does this, It brought the temp in my tent up to 40* and prevented my water from freezing)

Although it isn't really detrimental, the Graffiti Situation is out of hand there. Everybody in the woods seems to carry either spray paint or a sharpie marker. Nobody cares who you are.

No Privy. Just dont poop near the well.

The shelter sits all of 10 feet from a yellow-blazed trail which seemed to be popular despite the 20mph winds and 20 degree forecast.

Good tenting area between the shelter and the water, "behind the hill" (you know what I mean when you're there.) Also tentable right next to the shelter, if you want to obstruct a yellow-trail-hikers way.

Obviously overused tentsites have been covered in horridly-jagged rocks.

No train or vehicular traffic noises heard. Some airplanes and a fire-department siren in the far distance.

cascader
05-28-2009, 07:26
stayed here last week. The well was very low--just some mud at the bottom. Shelter itself pretty skanky--trash + a couple of airmattresses from weekenders/partiers, droppings inside, no broom to clean the place out with. Who maintains the shelters in this park? why can't they at least supply brooms? Shelter is nicely sited and could be OK if it were cleaned up. A deer came right down to the fire circle in both the evening and morning. Plus, something bigger than a mouse--a wood rat?--visited the shelter at night.

Chenango
09-24-2009, 16:02
stayed here last week. The well was very low--just some mud at the bottom. Shelter itself pretty skanky--trash + a couple of airmattresses from weekenders/partiers, droppings inside, no broom to clean the place out with. Who maintains the shelters in this park? why can't they at least supply brooms? Shelter is nicely sited and could be OK if it were cleaned up. A deer came right down to the fire circle in both the evening and morning. Plus, something bigger than a mouse--a wood rat?--visited the shelter at night.

It hasn't changed much since May. The floor really needs a good sweeping, but no broom. I did not, and would not, stay in this shelter.

Cosmo
09-25-2009, 17:52
It hasn't changed much since May. The floor really needs a good sweeping, but no broom. I did not, and would not, stay in this shelter.

Sounds the same as it was in 07. I'd be embarrassed if it were my Club that was responsible for it.

Cosmo

LIhikers
09-26-2009, 17:01
Sounds the same as it was in 07...................

Cosmo

Actually, it's been pretty much the same for years. Considering how many people use Harriman park and how close the shelter is to roads and parking I'm surprised it's not in worse condition.

Jtd724
01-24-2011, 13:29
Still lots of trash and morons starting a fire in the shelter burning a hole into the roof or carving one out. It has been repaired since my last visit in November but still a grill in place and burnt trash on it. Another hole in the roof soon I presume.

sixguns01
01-24-2011, 13:52
Still lots of trash and morons starting a fire in the shelter burning a hole into the roof or carving one out. It has been repaired since my last visit in November but still a grill in place and burnt trash on it. Another hole in the roof soon I presume.

I was around there a bit earlier, think October. Not a very nice place. Of all the shelters I've seen in Harriman, that is one of the worst. (Well, a lot better than the Cave Shelter) Felt dirty just walking into it and I've slept in some real s#!tholes.

Namaste
03-31-2011, 19:25
I just stopped at this shelter for lunch this week on my way to Fingerboard. It looks as though nothing has changed since all of you have been there.....no broom, garbage everywhere and just creepy.

Raul Perez
04-04-2011, 12:59
I was there this past weekend. it is in good condition right now. best i've seen it yet.

SirCampalot
05-30-2011, 08:44
I stayed up there last weekend. It was clean enough. There were a few random items that we did not remove because they seemed to have some value (an old glove, possibly to move hot firewood, some cooking grates for grilling). While facing the shelter, the floor on the right side near the bunks needs to be replaced. There are holes and if you step out of bed wrong you will end up through the floor. But the bunks were solid (we had a mate string his hammock between the bunks and they stood strong even without people in the bunks). The "fireplace" on the inside against the middle column was dismantled, and in white letters is written "no fires". The hole in the roof for the vent is still there though. Aside from the mice rustling around all night, it was a pretty good sleep. Also saw a 3 foot black snake 25 feet from the shelter. He didn't come too close, but he let us know he was there. We bartered with other hikers and it was a good trip.

A couple things - this is a very popular spot. It was pouring all week up until the day we left. It was the weekend before Memorial Day weekend. We figured we'd see a few people at the most... but let me tell you, it was incredibly populated. Between the fire siren and the train horn and the people, if you want to get away from the population, do NOT stay here.

Also, if you don't have a stove, the firewood situation is worse than sparse. We had to hike quite a bit away to gather some decent wood (but once we did, boom the fire went up). Had to man up a bit for that trek, but we got it done.

There is no designated spot to drop a deuce, so do what you gotta do.

I would be hesitant to bring kids to this spot, basically due to the graffiti. I mean, I thought it was pretty funny and all, but highly inappropriate to bring kids and let them read that.

We went there because the threat of rain from the prior week, and we didn't want to spend a night on the wet ground if we could help it. I do not doubt that you could safely make a small fire on the inside of the shelter where the old stones were. However, I'd definitely keep it small enough.